Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

engine reseal?

What's really involve in an engine reseal? How much does it really run?. I think I have a leak in the rear of the motor. My wrench think that once the motor is out, I should get to some f the seal even if they are not leaking. He's talking about 2000 bucks. Does that sound right?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What are you referring to as rear of the motor? The end toward the the front of the car or the end with the fan?

-How many miles on it and do you have any service history?

-The price seems reasonable if the engine is coming out, however you may not need the engine out if it's just a leak from one of several places such as:
-VC gaskets
- Oil return tubes
- oil seal at the turbo oil pump
- oil thermostat o-ring, breather gasket, and temp sender on top rear of the motor
- one of the lines from that pump to one of the tanks
- the turbo oil line its self
- Cam tower oil lines
- breather hoses
- and my favorites... the crank seal and/or intermediate shaft cover gasket

On the other hand you may have leaking cam towers where they seal to the head, in addition to leaking chain boxes. If this is where you're leaks are then the $2k is a bargain if the mechanic is competent! Be prepared to spend more though because "while you're in there you may as well"....

At the bare minimum if the engine has to come out I would do the above, inspect heads and do valve-job if needed, and ad a clutch!

Again, you do need to be more descriptive of where our leak is.... here's a fun example of "my engines leaking and my mechanic say it needs to com out for a rebuild".

- Turn out to be a leaking rear crank seal. However, as the motor runs and the car is driven the fan has enough pull to draw the leaking oil up and distributes it across the top of the motor under the fan shroud where you can't see it. Of course over time it builds up, burns and drips down all along the side of the case etc... When you stop and/or turn the car off it sits there and smolders like a smoking gun!

So, where did you say the leak was/is?

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its the end toward the front of the car. No service hostory, but it never leaked since I have had it for 5 -6 years. 50k on the odo, but it was rebuild 20k or so miles ago by 911 design a good few years back. Nothing else is leaking. But I will do the:
oil returns tubes
crank seal
V C gaskets
cam tower oil lines
Cam tower cover gaskets

Where is the rear of the motor? The tranny end of the fan end?
Anything else you can think of? I am think about getting the fuel lines and all of the rubber hoses while I am at it for a few bucks more. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is your leak dead center of the motor like leaking down the cases or dead center about where the trans meets-up. Or maybe slightly off to the drivers side..again, near where the trans mates?

You may want to clean the motor up, and run it around a bit to get a better idea of where these leaks are.

Tranny end would be rear of motor.

Doing the fuel lines would be a good idea, often overlooked when servicing these cars!
I like to take the line and kinda twist & bend it at the same time.. this should make any stress cracks Show-up in the surface covering.

Replacing a lot of those other hoses would be good too, especially the breather hoses as they are a good source of leaks as well.

My car is off the road for some of the same reasons, I should have had it finished but time constraints from that thing we call work, and house renovation project have cut into my free time.

Good luck and keep us posted....

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: