Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Turbo Flex Fuel Conversion

I'm sure before too long that's all we'll be able to get.. So my question is.. could we produce a kit to convert our cars over to it ?? What hoses/ seals and whatever else we'd need to do it be required?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I sincerly dont think that you could every use E85 in a CIS car... In using E85, you need approximatley 40% more fuel for a given power setting. In a CIS system... fuel is metered through the fuel distributor. You can not utilize bigger injectors, unlike a EFI system. In an fully programmable EFI system ( MoTec, Link EFi, SDS, Fast, haltec, and more) you can change out the injectors for what ever fuel flow rate you need, also adjust pulse width ( the amount of time the injector stays open), and fuel pressure in order to get the desired flow rate.

Forget every myth about the fuel lines and rubber seals deteriarating...it DOESNT happen!!! In the new flex fuel vehicles offered from the big three, all of the components are the same...other than the fuel injectors, and the engine computer. The computer, through sensors, knows when E85 is being used and makes the adjustments accordingly.

So, In short, yes, our motors will run on E85...and quite well I might add.... but not on the stock CIS fuel system.... Numerous poeple say that E85 is not the answer... and they are right, it is not the answer... for a replacement for petroleum based fuels.... but it is an alternative.... and a good one for turbo cars... 106 octane, burns VERY clean, and cooler as well.... all things we really need in a turbo car. You will not save money a=or get better MPG using E85.... but you will get racegas quality and octane ratings... at premuim gas ( 93 octane) prices.... that my friend is where its at...

Also, when you use it in a vehicle with a fully programmable EFI system, you can have two distinct and completely different fuel and spark maps...and in the case of my system (Link EFi), you can switch betweeen the two maps in a few seconds....

just for FYI... i have a very close friend who runs E85 in his car... a all aluminum 427 twin turbo AMC rambler...and he puts out 1648 HP....and still finding more... all on E85
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk

Last edited by turbobrat930; 06-12-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
CIS cannot tolerate more that ~10% EtOH due to the corrosive nature and water retention characteristics of alcohol. The fuel head will gum up. E85 is out of the question.

E85 is good for EFI and great for turbos but at a ~40% lower available BTUs EtOH absolutely sux for fuel mileage.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
ok sounds like we'll be converting to diesel LOL
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: