Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Angry Are 930s appreciating as fast as USA muscle cars ?

..... it doesn't look like it.

I bought a Hemmings motor news and about fell over seeing how much the asking price is on some older Chevies and Mopars. I mean, for pete's sake, it's a freaking CHEVY, nothing exactly spectacular about the Engineering or build quality. Guys are selling old SS Chevelles for $75,000. Certain Hemi Cudas, how about $250,000?

That's just crazy !

I hope the 930 eventually takes similar jump in value.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Old guys who now have (too much) money are trying to recapture the cars of their youth.
That was my era and those cars were JUNK. A dump truck engine in a taxicab. Brilliant.

Buy a pristine '76 930 and put it in a bubble. That's the best bet I see for these cars.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

In a few years kids that grew up in the late 70's and 80's dreaming of various supercars from that era will easily have the cash and the desire to buy the cars they dreamed about in their youth. As demand increases prices will go up. I would not be surprised to see a fairly sizeable increase in the prices of the 930 along with other supercars of the era.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm with Noah there, our time will come. However, I don't want our car to be so expensive that it would not be enjoyed by a whole new generation. Heck, it took me a while to afford one and I want these cars to be driven and not in a museum.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Prices are already going up on 930s. Look at the prices that 89 930s are now fetching versus a few years ago. I toyed with buying a 1994 3.6 turbo a few years back and those have appreciated significantly too.

I think the 1978 930 is a great deal still. First year of the 3.3L engine with bigger brakes, big whale tail, etc. Plus, its lighter than the 80s 930s. I would buy a bone stock one in good condition and just keep it.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What makes the '78 930 lighter than the '80s cars?
Different sound insulation under the carpet?

Don't think the larger post '86 plastic AC dash vents are gonna add much weight, if any...

Or is it hearsay?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

3 restos WIP = psycho

FWIW, I am 34 (meaning I am getting into that "trying to relive my youth" demographic fast) and my first Porsche toy was a Diamond Green '76 930; it was one of my faves ever. I am just now considering selling my '65 911 to search for that specific car. Not sure if it says much that I am considering dumping a vaunted and rare early 911 for a '76 930, but maybe it does? I figure if I get $40K+ for that car, I wouldn't have any issues buying a perfect early 930 for that same dough.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Old guys who now have (too much) money are trying to recapture the cars of their youth.
That was my era and those cars were JUNK. A dump truck engine in a taxicab. Brilliant..
To each his own... I have quite a few muscle cars and quite a few Porsche's and I don't consider any of them junk . The reason why many muscle cars , like first generation Camaro's, have increased so much in value is because the demographic for the buyers is from 8 years of age to 80 .

I drive one of my 60'd muscle cars down the road and I get more thumbs up from people than I ever have in ay Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini I ever owned.

And a DZ 302 that winds up to 8500 rpms never found it's way into a dump truck . And niether did any other solid lifter 60's or 70's era small block or big block motor I know of.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post

Buy a pristine '76 930 and put it in a bubble. That's the best bet I see for these cars.
Why that car,, first out? No one wants more than seemingly $15,000USD for them.

Look at the hack job this hillbilly is selling. 1977 930 on Ebay
Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ935 View Post
To each his own... I have quite a few muscle cars and quite a few Porsche's and I don't consider any of them junk . The reason why many muscle cars , like first generation Camaro's, have increased so much in value is because the demographic for the buyers is from 8 years of age to 80 .

I drive one of my 60'd muscle cars down the road and I get more thumbs up from people than I ever have in ay Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini I ever owned.

And a DZ 302 that winds up to 8500 rpms never found it's way into a dump truck . And niether did any other solid lifter 60's or 70's era small block or big block motor I know of.
I am with you on that. My first car when I was sixteen was a 1967 350/4spd SS Camaro. I miss that car and still hold, to this day, a strange "want and desire" to build another one. One of the reasons I don't is the same reason I sat on my second SS/RS for 16 years and finally sold it in 1995 was because I knew that it could never corner, handle or look the same way a sexy and vibrant turbo 930 (redundant-sorry) could. So with that,, I let it go in direct pursuit of the 930. EACH and EVERY time,,, I go into the garage and JUST look at the 930,,, I feel a feeling that not many will ever know. Words cannot describe all that this car can do,, not only on the road or if just sitting at the wheel static,, but maybe a kind memorable thought.

Enough said.

But, honestly,, a mere feeling from all that truly know cannot evoke a spike in sales or demand. This country just has it's focus on other points of interest and for that,, the early turbos/911's will always be fighting a reverse curve. Sad, but true.

Now,,, if we were in Germany,, I think the sentiments would be far sight different.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
Why that car,, first out? No one wants more than seemingly $15,000USD for them.

Look at the hack job this hillbilly is selling. 1977 930 on Ebay

Because there's nothing scarier than a dicey 930, especially a non-intercooled hilbilly special that probably has been running Pennzoil 10w30 conventional motor oil and regular unleaded for the last 10 years...

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Because there's nothing scarier than a dicey 930, especially a non-intercooled hilbilly special that probably has been running Pennzoil 10w30 conventional motor oil and regular unleaded for the last 10 years...
I know!
Quote:
selling a prefict porsche 930 turbo this car has only 36K on it !!!!!!! AND the hole car has bin up dated BRAKES ENGINE TRANSMISSION LIGHTS and wheels. SHE got all the GOODIES PRO BUILT DINO AT 398 REAR WHEEL it was a week end ride all it life docter owned never hit never raced super clean and selling it a good $$$$ its a us modle.... Its REAL FAST AND GOT THE LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! feel free to have her ck. out by any shop she Needs NOTHING this car is a 10......... get in and go!!!!!!!!!! can call AL 203-444-2828
Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
With all due respect, the muscle cars of our youth were ill handling heavy low rpm truck motor powered death traps. The 302 Camero was unobtanium at that time and now, as was the fabled aluminum 427 cars. I grew up driving those cars and am lucky to have survived. Many of my friends were not so lucky ...

That being said, I too give a big thumbs up when I see one one the road today. Not because it is a great car but because it survived and it evokes memories of past rebel behavior. The current market is just goofy, but that's how popularity based speculation plays out.

I think everyone will agree that if any 930 is worth speculation they would be the '76, '78 and '89.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Holcomb View Post
In a few years kids that grew up in the late 70's and 80's dreaming of various supercars from that era will easily have the cash and the desire to buy the cars they dreamed about in their youth. As demand increases prices will go up. I would not be surprised to see a fairly sizeable increase in the prices of the 930 along with other supercars of the era.
+1 on Noah.... Just 10 years ago, I bought a concourse Miura S with 6k miles on it for $72k. I thought I was nuts at the time (and unfortunately I have long sold that car), but have you priced one now??? Seems like the 60's cars are hot now, but give it another 10 years and if we still gasoline at the time, it will be the 80's cars which will be in demand .... I can't even imagine how much a 959 will be in 10 years.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

I think the 930 is on the edge of a bubble.

I am fresh off the buying cyce and as such, have been following prices closely for the past couple of years. I did not bother to track the empirical data, but if someone has the time and calories to burn, they will find that prices for PRISTINE UNMOLESTED examples have held steady or are beginning to creep up.

Sellers of these models are holding firm on their prices and the good examples are going for very very close to asking price.

Having said that, the current market its merely interesting. I did not buy mine as investment, but it makes me feel better nonetheless to know that my spend will retain value.

Oh, and just another data point .......... there are more and more of these threads about the 930 market pressure on 930 prices (primarily from 930 owners). If you assume we owners are closest to the market .... I submit the bubble is forming.

If you are in the market ........... buy now. They aren't going to get any cheaper.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 06-13-2008 at 02:05 PM..
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I just bought a modded 86 and was going to sell my concours 79 because I worry too much about any her. A friend bugged me for the car since he drove it and had 1st dibs. He talked to his wife and she said no. Boy was I lucky as I'm going to keep her and sell my 85 cab instead. I figured in the long run, the 930s will be worth waaaaay more than the cab. And I'll have way more fun driving around the modded 86.
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Hey, watch it! That hurts!

I get far more attention when driving the Plymouth than the 930. I think the average person can relate to it more.

And, by the way, let me know the next time you run accross a dumptruck with a 426 in it. LOL

Old 06-13-2008, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Doug

Is the reason that your getting more attention in your Plymouth because your driving around a retirement facility?

Sorry, I just don't think I would ever be able to appreciate that car. I hope you don't take this too seriously. Just my opinion.

LOL
Old 06-13-2008, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote "I get far more attention when driving the Plymouth than the 930. I think the average person can relate to it more.

Man I don't know what neighborhood you're picking up stuff with the dumptruck ;-) but my 930's never fail to turn heads or get questions.. everything from old men to little kids giving me the thumbs up... There's no car short of maybe a Ferrari that gets the kind of attention these cars do..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-13-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
I thought that would bring out the real porsche addicts!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: