Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rear fender mounted oil cooler

Does anyone have a diagram showing how the rear right fender oil cooler was plumbed in and what cooler was used.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Think the cooler used was the same as the one use for the front.

When I did a slant nose conversion on the 77 930 I had we used a front cooler also. If I can find the diagram I will post. It had part #s and everything. Can't promise I'll locate though but will check.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I'm putting a cooler in the left rear fenderwell on the turbo SC, so the oil I pump from the catch can will go through it instead of directly back to the sump.

I'll try to get a photo this weekend.

Pat
Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a front cooler in my slant. The temp is fine for street driving but I don't think it will be enough for the occasional track day. There's a track DP on my site that's running both coolers (one in front and one in the right rear fender) with substantially more h.p. than mine with no problems. Thought that might be a good way to go.
thanks,
Harold
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I believe that you'll need some kind of air ducting also to make it work efficiently - air flow through it... That fender well is like a pocket with little, if any, air flow.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Not sure I'd want to add more weight in the rear. Can't you mount a cooler up front?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-14-2008, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I believe that you'll need some kind of air ducting also to make it work efficiently - air flow through it... That fender well is like a pocket with little, if any, air flow.
If the car is a slant then should already have ducts in the rear.
RGruppe #180
Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The car has the ducts in the rear. I already have a spoiler mounted cooler in the front. The weight increase would be around 10 lbs.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Did you include the oil in that figure
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

What size coolers are being run in the quarters? I'm thinking about doing a dual cooler setup one in each rear fender scoop.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm trying to confirm if this a 930S cooler. It's approx. 1" shorter & narrower than a Carrera cooler. I test fit it in the fender and it would be tight, but would work. If this doesn't work I would get one of the Setrab coolers.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Gumba,

Sorry, I looked but could not find the old info I had. In the event that I locate it.. I will still post! Renovation going on at home, I can barely find my underwear!

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Pictures

I got sidetracked a bit...had to R&R the engine for the blown up airbox; just put it back in today. Finished the rear fender oil cooler also.

This is actually a NOS VW oil cooler, the aftermarket kind that went over the fan opening. I build a frame for it, welded in a mount bracket and plumbed it in AN-8. It comes out of the Tilton pump which I use to drain the turbo, and back into the left chain cover. It's sole purpose in life is to cool the oil from the turbo before dumping it back into the case.

I now have four oil coolers: engine, right front fender, center front and this one. I have to be close to the world record by now.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

OnBoost, it is a 930s cooler. A rennlist member sent me a bunch of photos showing the installation on his 930s. There was also one at the local race shop so I got a good close up look.
Harold
Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
87 930 oil cooler w/factory mount

Here's a shot of my oil cooler mounted in the left rear fender...if you need more shots, let me know. The picture you show of a 930 oil cooler has the louvered stone guard in place, but it's the correct oil cooler. Just make sure you test it for pressure before going thru the trouble of mounting it then find out it leaks.. That louvered stone guard covers the radiator-like core. In my picture, I use a home made stone guard out of a piece of screen material and not the louvered OEM one...although I do have a new original stone guard that I'll put in someday. Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 07-28-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Looks like right rear fender to me!!!!! I consider passenger side the rightside from sitting in car. Looks nice though!!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Shucks....I got my directions mixed up....you're absolutely right...it is right....I guess I get confused by you Euro folks who drive on the wrong side of the road.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I also have an Oil Cooler in the right rear fender that has the grates, but I do not have a factory slant. Also unlike Chucks, mine is plumbed via the bottom, not the top, w/ no stone guard.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Chuck:
That's a nice setup! Is that the only auxilliary oil cooler on the car (guessing from the thermostat)?
Pat
Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Plummed from the bottom? I haven't seen one plumbed from the bottom, but truthfully, I don't know if it makes a difference except for the more protected routing of the oil lines....do you also have the cut out fender wells to allow the air to go thru the radiator? There is also a small fan grate on the bottom that protects the blades and blows air directly up and over the cooling vanes from below. It's thermostatically controlled.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 07-28-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: add information
Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: