Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Early top end rebuild - red flag?

I'm looking to get into a 930 and just had one PPI'd this morning. It's an 87 with 57K on the odo.

Here's the deal - it had a top end rebuild done at 55k. One one hand that's a great thing, I'll not have to worry about it. Is there another side where I should worry that there was a problem that caused an "early" rebuild?

I've spoken to two wrenches on the subject. One said that 60k is about time for a top end on a 930. I've only had 911s so I wouldn't know. The guy who did the PPI didn't agree and thought that was way early for a top end.

The engine work wasn't done by the current owner and I have all the records. There was $14k worth of work done including all seals, the top end, rebuilt turbo, some studs. It could very well have been a case of "while you're in there" syndrome.

Should I be happy that I won't have to worry about the top end or should I beware that something is suspicious?
'85 911 Targa - sold

Last edited by targa todd; 06-20-2008 at 09:59 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

When I think of all the things I've removed, rebuilt, modified, changed etc, from my once 100% correct and pristine 930, I don't think I'll ever be able to sell it to a potential buyer not familiar with with 930s and their "culture". Everything I've done to my car, has only improved its reliability, performance, and thus my ownership experience. An unfamiliar outsider coming to the table and reviewing my receipts folder (bursting with notes and documentation) would probably feel a little trigger shy - and that's not a bad thing. It's best to be cautious. There is nothing cheap about 930 engine repairs. Luckily some things can be quantified by driving, visual inspection, common sense, and a PPI performed by an outside, unbiased shop. A hot leak down and compression test might put your mind at ease. For the record, I did a complete engine rebuild at 42,000 miles because the oil leaks were just too much for me to bare, and the car was nickel and diming me to death. I felt it necessary to draw a line in the sand and start over. Other than my wallet being several pounds lighter, I have no regrets.

Your case, specifically, sounds typical. Again, if the PPI checks out, I wouldn't be too worried. Maybe the one mod that makes me most nervous to a stock engine is the 1.0 bar boost spring and/or manual boost controller. Look for evidence of these as you pour over the details. Even with an excellent car, you should still keep some cash in your war chest for the unknown...they all need something sorted!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Another point I should make: all things considered equal, yes that mileage is too soon for a major engine service (like a top end). However, these cars mean different things to different owners. And they often change owners many times.

When I got into them, it was for the sole purpose of having a daily driver. Therefore, I looked for the best, lowest mileage example I could find, thinking that there'd be plenty o' life in it for me! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! I think the cars that are driven regularly with more mileage actually do better! I think my car has only gotten better with more driving!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As I stated on the engine thread, I'd be worried about what kind of damage might be done to the lower end if this thing really needed a top end rebuild so quickly.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: