Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
Glad I got that out'a the way...

Seems I'm the only person who hasn't (hadn't) popped my IC o-ring. So after all my weekend wrenching I drove the Turbo to work, got frisky getting on the freeway and "Meh, O2 reading looks wonky and power is weaksauce". Getting off the freeway and into traffic the motor stalls. Pop the clutch, limp it to the office parking lot throttling it just to keep it running (black smoke & drama). Pop the lid,

"Oh look, what's my IC o-ring doing down there?"

That is all.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

So I spent lunchtime kneeled behind my car in the office parking lot (in slacks) affirming everyone's suspicions that I'm a lunatic. Pulling this IC with crappy tools bummed from trunk toolkits isn't the same. Others walked a wide berth past me to their Nissans and Hondas while I had my arm crammed under the IC, revving the engine resetting my idle mix.
Of course I had to test it out... a quick left onto the main road at full lock "Yes I believe we have restored power..."
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Those same people walking past you and balking are the same people who would have no clue how to fix and take their Hondas and Nissans to mechanics to have a fuse replaced, and get no gratification out of owning there common JOE cars. The pride is in owning, fixing and driving the hell out of these things!!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Yeah Yeah!
Like I said in a previous post, I may let somebody else do open-heart surgery on me, everything else I'll learn because I'm stubborn.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM744 View Post
Yeah Yeah!
Like I said in a previous post, I may let somebody else do open-heart surgery on me, everything else I'll learn because I'm stubborn.
That is exactly what I say to my wife... she thinks I am nuts and makes house repair appointments when I am out of town (no jokes that I have not heard).
I once had the wastegate line blow off on the way to a clients building and I just stayed in the parking lot and fixed it with the little badge clippy thing as a flat head screwdriver. When I walked in the building I had to ask for a new badge clippy thing and had to explain why. Needless to say, I only have clients that have grease under the nails wearing some of the nicest ties in North America
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM744 View Post
Yeah Yeah!
I'm just as stubborn. I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself whether it be cars or home repairs, doesn't matter. I tell my wife there is nothing I can't learn. I tell her I could do brain surgery with enough practice; a lot of people would die while I was learning but eventually I'd figure it out.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cynical Misanthrope

Your guys' attitudes are precisely why I defected to this forum from (ehem) another. Not many 965s, but most of you are hard-core DIY'ers whereas the other one seems full of "Look everyone, I had my centercaps color-coordinated to my floormat logos!"

Thanks for all your support! (I'm gonna need it soon)
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I have blown the o-ring on my 79 930 while at a DE at Watkins Glen.
Did you one better by taking a trip to town at the local hardware store to find an o-ring that might match. Found one too small that of course was in inches and with a little bit of stretching and some DUCT TAPE got it running enuff to drive it home the 500 miles to Detroit.
Not a fun experience, but I do all my own wrenching and this way I know it is done right. Also don't trailer it to the track, but get there the old fashioned way and drive the car there. Needless to say I now carry spares in my track tool kit.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: