Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

View Poll Results: 930 vs Ferrari
Don't do it. Are you NUTS? 37 68.52%
Do it! Everyone should own a F-Car at least once! 13 24.07%
Do it and don't look back! 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pete, rather than saying they weren't happy, I guess I should have said they were really surprised by the repair costs. $20K to $30K repair bills don't seem too far fetched.

I don't mind doing my own work even if it means pulling the engine for routine maintenance, but I imagine most people wouldn't be willing to do that themselves.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
Pete, rather than saying they weren't happy, I guess I should have said they were really surprised by the repair costs. $20K to $30K repair bills don't seem too far fetched.

I don't mind doing my own work even if it means pulling the engine for routine maintenance, but I imagine most people wouldn't be willing to do that themselves.
i agree with you! it really brings home how really great and affordable the 930 is!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraripete View Post
Please consider keeping the 930 and instead of getting a 348, look into a 512 testarossa. the 348 will leave you wanting more and is quite intense to maintain when compared to a 930.

i would suggest you look at a properly serviced tr as it is VERY different than what you have now and VERY different from the 348. it also represents the best value in a true ferrari and will become your special occasion machine. the price of entry is a bit more than the 348 but the experience is vastly different and pictures will not do the tr justice...you must experience them in the flesh!!! don't expect it to be faster than your 930 (what is?) but do expect it to leave your knees weak and wanting to smoke a cigarette!!!

the cost of ownership of a tr can be quite expensive and a proper ppi is a must but still no guarantee. i have two ferraris in addition to my 930 and i can tell you my $20k transaxle story if you have the stomach to listen!!! that said, i would never sell my 512 bbi but likewise...i would never sell my 930. simply nothing to replace it with.

both the 930 and the 512 boxer are similar in that they really do represent the last of the breed!!!

best,

pcb
I like this advice. Perhaps you and Ferraripete could discuss offline (phone call), I bet he has further words of wisdom for you. That exhaust note on the F-car is intoxicating...

Another option, since you've already started in on the mods, is to really kick it up a notch and have some crazy-ass engine built for your 930. EFI, twin turbo....I doubt you'd want anything more
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
I haven't heard of anyone being really happy with a Ferrari older than a 360.
Didn't motion (a 360 Challenge Stradale owner?) mention something similar in the past?

I'd say it's one thing to have a Ferrari. It's another to have to sell your Porsches (particularly a 930) to have one. I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on what you propose unless I could keep at least one of each marque.

FWIW, I was out strafing some canyons a couple months ago. I stopped at a lookout an chatted with a new GT3 owner. He confessed that he had an F430 before. (He also was a three-time 930 owner.) I asked him how they compared. He said the Ferrari was much more exciting to drive. But it also felt much more nervous in the twisties. The Porsche was much more comfortable to drive fast in the canyons.

Nice dilemma to have, wcc.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I consider everything newer than the 308 a Fiat It even says FIAT on the nose of the F1 cars.

Ferraris were always about racing and my favorite Ferraris are the 156 Shark nose, 158 Formula 1, then the P3/P4, 312PB, and I like the 275 LM a lot, too.

For street Ferraris, I like the 275 GTB and the 246 Dino. If I were to go modern Ferrari, I would probably go flat 12 Testerossa.

Ferrari technology lagged behind historically but they have caught up. I still like the sometimes unconventional approach of Porsche best.

I saw that Speedvision show where they ran a 997 Turbo and an F430 up and doewn Mulholland past the rock store and timed the runs. These were professional drivers- Townsend Bell. The Porsche won. It even beat the Lotus.

This thread brings to mind the battles in the 1960s between Porsche and Ferrari with 906,908,917 vs. Ferrari Dino, 512, etc at the Targa, LeMans, Nurburgring, hillclimbing... And before that it was RS Spyders vs. GTOs

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post

I saw that Speedvision show where they ran a 997 Turbo and an F430 up and doewn Mulholland past the rock store and timed the runs. These were professional drivers- Townsend Bell. The Porsche won. It even beat the Lotus.
Interestingly, that lookout was where I had that chat with the GT3 driver.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Max Sluiter

Garage
Yeah, I actually saw it being filmed. I tool advantage of the rainy weather to keep the traffica away on a week day and ran up there in my BMW to find those cars, cameras, and cops up there.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

FYI - The cost to maintain and repiar any Ferrari before the 360 was ridiculous. I say before the 360 because the interval for service is much longer, however no less expensive. You will see lots of earlier cars for sale "relatively" cheap as they approach there service interval. (ie) 355's spyders coming in at 80 or 90k because the owner wants to sell before the big hit. A normal service, a top end rebuild at the factory interval with nothing broken will run you 30K.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I would say hold on to your 930 until you find the perfect 288 GTO.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

In a perfect world having both would be great. I parked beside a 348 the other weekend, yeah his car got all the looks but I absolutely took him apart on the street, where it counts. ( and the owner was a complete douche)
That said...I would still love to own one just for the experience...you only go around once and at the end of the day it is just a car. if it is not for you sell it....sure youll take a hit in the pocket book but unless you buy that 288 GTO you arent going to make any $$ on these cars just try to minimize the losses.
An friend of mine is selling his F430 and buying a Pcar because he is fed up with the hassle that goes along with the 430, parking it, maintainance, etc etc....

I say do it...Ill sell you mine 930 when decide to come back...(premium gasis getting out of hand!!)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I've had Ferrari's over the years including Testarossa. Only have 930s now. At touring events where I have encountered Testarossa with different not to highly modded 930 turbos. The look of dismay was even worse with the 328/ 348 / 355 crowd. I am usually with a driver instructor and adjusting the motors for optimum tune. The ones that show some real high end performance are the Z Corvette's and supercharged Ford and GT40. I really do not think the grass is greener on the Ferrari side of the fence as most others have observed, unless you get close to the 6 figure range with them, or just about any other car ( newer Porsche models included )

Last edited by voitureltd; 07-02-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to keep both P-Cars. Instead of getting a Ferrari I'm going to pick up a helmet after the holidays and try a DE Event. Hopefully, I can get in one this year even.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Bill,
You owe me a BIG beer for even thinking about this.....

You'll LOVE the track.... it'll make you love the car all over again!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Your a 930 Guy or Your Not

I'm older than dirt and I have a junk Pump and Cancer and I going to tell you a story about a dream.
In 1976 I was working full time with a wife and three kids I was in the 5th year of 7 years of nite school to get my degree. Every nite on the way to school I passed the Porsche dealership and cruised the lot before going home. Thats when I saw my first Turbo and it took my breath away.
I started reading everything I could find about Turbo's and always telling my wife that was my dream car. One nite I drove through the lot and my Turbo was gone and I was crushed. There was no way I could ever been able to afford it, but some how it seemed like looking at that damn car was what kept me going 70 to 80 hours a week. When I got home I told my wife the Turbo was gone and she replied "it's just a car" and I told her "you don't understand it wasn't just a car, it was my dream".
I finished school and got a better paying job. I found a 76 911 Coupe in the local paper. It wasn't my Turbo but it was a Porsche. I got the old girl home and spent countless houres cleaning and repairing untill she looked and ran pretty nice. I sold her about 6 months later and made about 3 grand on the deal. I continued to buy one, fix it, and sell one for the next few years totaling about 22 Porsches. I had speedsters, 914-6, 74 Carrera Targa, and even a 73 RS Lightweight with 36,000 kilomoters on it. I had everything except my Turbo.
I flew to OKC with a friend on a Fri. nite to pick up 2 early SC's I had presold. On the way back I was dirving a really nice 82 SC Euro Coupe that had the nicesest new leather aftermarket steering wheel I had ever seen. When I got home we were cleanng them up for delivery and I decided to swap out that steering wheel for a stock wheel I had. I took that wheel and hung it on a nail in my garage. Nearly everyone who came over commented on the damn steering wheel and I would just say " Thats for in my Turbo"
Well that wheel hung in 5 garages in 11 years and now it's in my Turbo.
Last week I looked at a great 2002 993 Cab for a friend, I call them "pointers" because you don't have to know how to drive them you just piont them. I brought the 993 home to show my wife and she fell in love with it. Of cource my wife says " Why don't you sell yours and get one of those " I simple said you don't understand; you don't sell your dreams"
That old Turbo is raw, hard, brutal, scary fast, and tries to kill ya everytime you drive it but it still makes me see God. And God I love that Old Sled
Your a 930 Guy or Your Not and there just isn't any in between!!!

Last edited by cole930; 12-24-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
I'm older than dirt and I have a junk Pump and Cancer and I going to tell you a story about a dream.
In 1976 I was working full time with a wife and three kids I was in the 5th year of 7 years of nite school to get my degree. Every nite on the way to school I passed the Porsche dealership and cruised the lot before going home. Thats when I saw my first Turbo and it took my breath away.
I started reading everything I could find about Turbo's and always telling my wife that was my dream car. One nite I drove through the lot and my aTurbo was gone and I was crushed. There was no way I could ever been able to afford it, but some how it seemed like looking at that damn car was what kept me going 70 to 80 hours a week. When I got home I told my wife the Turbo was gone and she replied "it's just a car" and I told her "you don't understand it wasn't just a car, it was my dream".
I finished school and got a better paying job. I found a 76 911 Coupe in the local paper. It wasn't my Turbo but it was a Porsche. I got the old girl home and spent countless houres cleaning and repairing untill she looked and ran pretty nice. I sold her about 6 months later and made about 3 grand on the deal. I continued to buy one, fix it, and sell one for the next few years totaling about 22 Porsches. I had speedsters, 914-6, 74 Carrera Targa, and even a 73 RS Lightweight with 36,000 kilomoters on it. I had everything except my Turbo.
I flew to OKC with a friend on a Fri. nite to pick up 2 early SC's I had presold. On the way back I was dirving a really nice 82 SC Euro Coupe that had the nicesest new leather aftermarket steering I had ever seen. When I got home we were cleanng them up for delivery and I decided to swap out that steering wheel for a stock wheel I had. I took that whheel and hung it on a nail in my garage. Nearly everyone who came over commented on the damn steering wheel and I would just say " Thats for in my Turbo"
Last week I looked at a great 2002 993 Cab for a friend, I call them "pointers" because you don't have to know how to drive them you just piont them. I brought the 993 home to show my wife and she fell in love with it. Of cource my wife says " Why don't you sell yours and get one of those " I simple said you don't understand; you don't sell your dream"
That old Turbo is raw, hard, brutal, scary fast, and tries to kill ya everytime you drive it but it still makes me see God. Your a 930 Guy or Your Not !!!
Brings a tear to my eye.. WELL SAID!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Cole930, that is a wonderful dream. Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Wow Cole - thanks for sharing.

I got an email today from a former client of mine that I'd passed on the road yest. in mine. Said "seems testosterone driven". I think I'll cut / paste your story as my reply, as it sure beats what I was going to write.

People just don't get it.

Best of luck to you.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Most ass-u-me I purchased the 930 to impress others. NOPE!!!! Call it selfish, but it was purchased for me and me alone! As has been said many times over: "you either get it or you dont" - PERIOD! It's the single car I never stopped lusting over. To finally own it, is to fullfill a dream...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
I started reading everything I could find about Turbo's and always telling my wife that was my dream car. One nite I drove through the lot and my aTurbo was gone and I was crushed. There was no way I could ever been able to afford it, but some how it seemed like looking at that damn car was what kept me going 70 to 80 hours a week. When I got home I told my wife the Turbo was gone and she replied "it's just a car" and I told her "you don't understand it wasn't just a car, it was my dream".
I flew to OKC with a friend on a Fri. nite to pick up 2 early SC's I had presold. On the way back I was dirving a really nice 82 SC Euro Coupe that had the nicesest new leather aftermarket steering I had ever seen. When I got home we were cleanng them up for delivery and I decided to swap out that steering wheel for a stock wheel I had. I took that whheel and hung it on a nail in my garage. Nearly everyone who came over commented on the damn steering wheel and I would just say " Thats for in my Turbo"
Last week I looked at a great 2002 993 Cab for a friend, I call them "pointers" because you don't have to know how to drive them you just piont them. I brought the 993 home to show my wife and she fell in love with it. Of cource my wife says " Why don't you sell yours and get one of those " I simple said you don't understand; you don't sell your dream"
That old Turbo is raw, hard, brutal, scary fast, and tries to kill ya everytime you drive it but it still makes me see God. Your a 930 Guy or Your Not !!!
i appreciate you taking the time to write that. and i think we all agree with your sentiments and all wish you well in your fight. i cannot help but feel that your cancer will be better fought w/ your wife and 930 close by.

very best,

pcb
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I wanted to thank all of you.
It really does my heart good, especial right now, to hear from others that share my passion for this old bus. I had chemo yesterday and was jonesen bad last nite. After I finished my post last night, I reread it and I thought "Oh S--- sounds like the ramblings of an old sick fart"
I was sitting here at 3:00 AM. I'm just finishing 6 mo. of chemo next week, my hair is falling out for the 2nd. time. after my shower my hair looked like a baby ducks. my mouth is full of sores, my nose is bleeding, my visions is shot, my bone marrow aches so bad I can't sleep, I can hardly walk, my dick stopped working, and I only have enough energy left to type.
I can only work on the car about an hour or so at a time right now and I am just finishing my brake upgrade. Last night after I finished in the garage I took a couple pics. of the upgrade to post in the forum and I smiled at the old girl and remembered back in 1976. I got on line and saw this forum and had to tell the story.
It's kind of ironic because after getting Emails on the replies to the post and going back to the form to read them I realized how much the old girl is keeping me going now just like the Turbo did in 1976. It is almost like it's more than a dream anymore, the thought of getting back in the old girl seems likes she's keeping me alive this time.

THANKS to All Of YA !!!
Cole

Last edited by cole930; 07-03-2008 at 10:36 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: