Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

brake piston orientation

As I understand it, the front brakes should have the proud shoulder of the pistons at the lower point - ie bottom - shoulder facing upwards. Have I got this right?, because if I have mine are precisely 180 deg wrong.
I presume this is something to do with pad wear?
Mine seem very happy where they are and like to stay put. I can't rotate them - without risk of damaging them. Is there another special tool I have not got (yet)?
Alan
Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just rebuilt my calipers and went through this.....here are two pages from the turbo manual.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Alan, you may end up having to pop the pistons out. It wasn't a big deal on my 3.2 carrera.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I guess I need some ATE piston turning pliers - whatever they are - whats the guess my rears are 180 deg out too?
Alan
Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can always "pop" them out, turn them as needed and reisntall.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was actually only trying to remove the inner deflector dust plate thing. Prefer not to disturb the pistons if possible. Contempalting making a tool to rotate them - but may resort to popping them out.
Thx
Alan
Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

River Rat

Alan,

Buy yourself a brake piston wrench from Genisis, you can easily turn the pistons 180 degrees without having to remove the pistons.

http://www.hrpworld.com/googlebase.cfm?key=Genesis%20Brake%20Caliper%20Pis ton%20Removal%20Wrenches&form_prod_id=821,822,373,455,815_1992&action=product

BTW, i purchased some new calipers for the front of my 930 recently and did not check the orientation of the pistons. Spent a day at Sebring and the brakes were not working well at all. After returning home, I checked the brake components and found the pistons 180 degrees off. In addition, the brake pads were unevenly worn, enough that they were trashed and replaced with a new set ... live and learn. Gave them a quick spin with the wrench and it's all good again.

Good Luck, Dave
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That's awesome, I didn't know that such thing exist. Amaizing totally amaizing. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Piston Diameters

Great looking piston wrench Dave.
Here are the stock 930 caliper pistons diameters if you plan on ordering some wrenches:

Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

They look very useful for the price. Could have used them. But I could not rotate them - too tight (without the wrench). I pinged them out with compressed air,and reset.
FWIW this was not as simple as I thought - my compressor on full noise could not budge most of them. Finally I cleaned the protruding bits up, lubed them with hydraulic fluid and squeezed them fully in. This did the trick , altho had to be repeated 2-3 times for most.
They shoot out at 90 mph no matter how careful . To avoid damaging them I put my hand between them and the clamp holding opposite piston. Very painful. I probably should have used thin wood, but every now and then I like to make a human sacrificial offering to the god called Porsche. Now that I have set them, I probably don't need a clamp - but would have liked one y/day.
Regards
Alan
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I stuffed a rag in there when I popped mine out.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Very sensible - to use a rag - but much less heroic than trying to catch them.
Alan
Old 06-28-2008, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I don't have a compressor, I just used the brake pedal to get mine out.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-28-2008, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: