Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need a quiet muffler for Laguna Seca Track event

I am running a time trial at Laguna Seca in August and the sound police limit the engine music to 92 DB. I have a 79 930 with a zork exiting the passenger side . The car runs through Vision custom made headers and a Garrett based Kokeln turbo. I used to run a Borla xr 1 muffler ( which I still have ) but I believe it will still be too loud. I was thinking about putting the borla back on and adding another muffler set up with a 90 degree bend to the driver side. Sound mike is on a fast stretch of the track on the passenger side.
This set up has to be temporary as I don't have to worry about noise at Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and Cal Speedway. Your thoughts and advise are appreciated. My biggest concern is spending a bunch of cash getting up there and getting blackflagged for noise.
Just a note, I am like most of you, once you get to hear an un-mufflered 930 at 150 mph down the straight, you never want to put a muffler back on.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Talk with RarlyL8, I'm sure he can fix you up with something.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-29-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The closest thing I have to what you are looking for is the stock (driver's side) exit muffler.
My systems are component based so you can use any of several different tailpipes to put the sound where you want it. The tailpipes are also adjustable so you can point them in down or at an angle away from the mike.

What are you doing about the waste gate? A lot of noise on boost comes from the waste gate dump pipe.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
muffler

Thanks for the input. It seems a shame to buy such a nice system to use one weekend a year. I have seen your exhausts and they are truly nice but do you have a down and dirty track model and what decibel can I expect. Not having a meter is going to be an issue if I trailer all the way to Laguna and end up being black flagged. Starting to rethink this trip and save the money for tires and gas at the SOCal tracks where the noise environmentalists have not struck, YET.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've sold a few track systems, they are pretty loud. The one pictured is the street version which is likely 1/3 as loud as a Zork at full song. A bigger issue is your waste gate pipe. Can you muffle that?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I am sure that the waste gate could be muffled to aid in the sound issue. I am checking with some of the West Coasters that have run a quiet exhaust for this track for some feed back. I am kinda of thinking WIllow Springs and Buttonwillow without muffler will be my best bet. I can get a new set of Hoosiers instead of the muffler fiasco at this point and it may be the way to go. Laguna Seca can wait until the kids get outa college...
Old 06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: