Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

965 vs Blownsix intercooler. The winner?

In the market for an intercooler to cool my 930's intake charge. Got it narrowed down to a used 965 unit or a new Blownsix 965 unit.

Which is the better intercooler? Since Blownsix sells their unit as an upgrade for the 965, reading between the lines it would seem that theirs offers better cooling performance than the factory unit

How difficult is the install on either of these? Any tips or installed pics?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I've heard from many that the 965 unit is very good.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
I'm sure a few others might chime in with tales of their B6 experiences but at the end of the day, my B6 IC fitted and works just fine, although it wasn't all plain sailing.
A few points to note ...
  • it is an extremely tight fit under the engine cover and required a bit of "adjusting" of mounting points to get it just right
  • the plastic shroud under the engine cover comes out (I replaced shroud with three pieces of sheet metal that fitted to original shroud mounting points (can get pics if you want)
  • some supplied hardware was wrong size and wrong thread
  • the boost switch is remounted on the IC and if you don't have a good earth to the IC you won't be able to start engine
  • the pipe coming from the turbo had to be shortened by about 15mm (I cut it close to the top and used hose to reconnect the two parts)
You may not have some of these problems if your IC is coming from another car.
Also, my IC is B6's 930 upgrade so it may be slightly different to yours.

Last edited by billjam; 07-04-2008 at 08:14 PM..
Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Since the B6 looks like a Kokeln, what's wrong with the Kokeln? I heard they had problems, but what kind that they could be worse than B6?

The 965 intercooler is good, but you'll need to lose your condensor in the lid and relocate it IIRC.

BTW, I have a Kokeln from 7-8 years ago.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Since the B6 looks like a Kokeln, what's wrong with the Kokeln? I heard they had problems, but what kind that they could be worse than B6?

The 965 intercooler is good, but you'll need to lose your condensor in the lid and relocate it IIRC.

BTW, I have a Kokeln from 7-8 years ago.
I recently put in a Kokeln long neck- and, although the car runs well with it, I was amazed at the poor quality of welds/construction that you get for close to $1900 for the kit (through IA). The overboost switch mounting hole was poorly tapped and it stripped as I hand-tightened the sending unit. I wound up having a plug welded in and grounding the switch. My welder nearly tossed his cookies when he saw the welds on the Kokeln unit- there was visible dirt in them and they appeared to have been done by an amateur. If I had it to do all over again I may "chance it" with the B6 unit because it's basically a polished copy of the Kokeln unit- and if you buy it directly from B6 it's a heck of a lot less $ than the Kokeln, B&B, Andial...or any other brand that I've seen. I say, "chance it" because there have been reported issues some have experienced with poor communication, inadequate packaging leading to shipping damage and long production times (if you do a search you'll see what I mean). It's possible that B6 had some early growing pains and is now on the ball...so it may be worth giving them a call. My $.02.

Last edited by jay71; 07-06-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
You have to fiddle with the half bay one...but once it's in there, it works pretty well. They're not exactly a "bolt on" application, but with a little innovation they will fit and work nicely once they're dialed in.On mine, rather than use a sheet metal shroud, I had my shroud custom trimmed to fit around the intercooler, then found another one on eBay in case I ever want to go back to bone stock.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 07-06-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My Kokeln looks great, bought it approx. 18 months ago from IA. I was really pleased and I am real picky...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nathan....I imagine that the Kokeln intercooler is a true "bolt on" as opposed to the fitment issues I've been having with the B6 which is not exactly a bolt-on application....but I guess some patience and time spent tweaking and twisting will eventually get it right.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Well as you may guess I haven't fitted mine yet but I bought it knowing that many others have fitted them with no problems.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-07-2008, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nathan: I've been in touch with Allen...a fellow P car enthusiast from B.C. and he has re designed some of the brackets...re-drilled some of the holes and made the fitment less of a problem. You might give him a holler...he sent me pictures of what he did that made it easier to do the install...I'll PM you with his email address...No sense re inventing the wheel.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
resident samsquanch

I'm not sure who the "winner" is, but a fellow enthusiast will have to pry my factory 965 intercooler out of my cold dead fingers, before I ever get back on the intercooler marry-go-round! I luv mine...CASE CLOSED!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
resident samsquanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compulsive View Post
How difficult is the install on either of these? Any tips or installed pics?
I'll leave you to search for install threads on Blown-six.

Here is my factory 965 intercooler thread:
Fabricating a C2 Turbo to intercooler pipe
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: