Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hello!

As Alan said, pressurizing the system is sure-fire way of finding leaks. Usual culprits are cracked phenolic injector blocks. If they are cracked, they will leak no matter how much you tighten them. Distorted intercooler O-rings are also common, as are leaky hoses.

Best way is to pressurize all south of CIS. There is a rubber hose hoing down to turbo...if you can jam something in it and pressurize the system, it will leak trough most common "leaky points".

I believe your phenolic blocks are most probable suspect. Once leaks are down to minimum, you still might have fueling problems that needs to be tackled.

But you have to start with plugging all leaks. You can check wastegate for leaks by trying to blow air to it. If you suspect wategate leak, you can try starting car with wastegate hose detached and plugged. (Little leackage trough valve stem is OK. Lot's of leakage means ruptured wastegate diaphragm).

So to round it off:

1. Pressurize the system, plug the leaks.
2. Find out if wastegate is OK.
3. If still not OK, start ckecking fueling components (fuel pressure, controll pressure etc.)

P.S. While at it, make sure both pumps are running and that injector flow is OK
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Todd - since last posting to you on other thread - about 45 mins, I have leak tested (pressure to 0.5 bar) and removed CIS and manifold. Had leak at #6 injector block.
Very disappointing after installing new blocks/gaskets and leak testing.
But thems the breaks. Whether it fixes all my problems, I don't know, but can't proceed til this is fixed.
You can do it. get into it.
Regards
Alan
Old 07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Any idea why #6 leaked after you just redid them all?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Greetings Nathan, Here is a trick for young players. #6 is the gasket in lower right of pic. You can almost make out the problem from the pic. There are 12 gaskets - top and bottom of 6spacers. They are all the same - at least that is what I was sent. They have an internal eccentricity to accomodate the injector for the lower gasket. So there is only one way to fit the lower gasket. The upper gaskets also have this eccentricity - but no injector. #6 was oriented wrongly - it needed to be flipped over. The eccentricity missed the base of the manifold (not the spacer) by about 1mm. There were one or two others the same, but they had located close enough they had full contact with the manifold base. Altho you can place them any which way on top of the spacer, and have full gasket contact, the same does not apply to the manifold. There is only one way the top gasket will definitely seal completely. Instead of plonking them on top of the spacer, this time, I oriented them on the inverted manifold, to correct position, then transposed them on to the spacer. The engine definitely is running better, and #6 was one of the cylinders constantly giving me grief.
At first installation of new spacers/gaskets I pressure tested, and no leaks. My problems persisted, and I subsequently pulled all that gear out again, looking for issues. I resealed with silicone second time around, having no more gaskets and 2-3 wks delivery. I do not remember if I leak tested second time around, but finding no issues, I may not have.
The car is running better, and starting better, on all 6 but the AFR problem persists, as it has from day 1.
Regards
Alan
Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Hmmm, I hope I did mine right...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I never gave it a thought as far as the manifold went. I just plonked the gaskets over the studs on to the spacers. The injector cut away still has to be up at the injector end of the spacer I think, to fit properly. But you can flip them over so the injector cut away sits either side on the spacer, and it makes no difference on the spacer - there is plenty of flat surface to seal on. Then I just plonked the manifold on top and torqued it up. First time definitely no leaks - so may have been lucky. It may just be my #6 port that is too marginal - in terms of how it is planned flat vs the surrounding casting. Luckily the gasket on that port came off with the manifold - still perfectly in place. I could see the spec of daylight between the injector cutaway and the edge of the manifold. It may have initially sealed with the silicone, and subsequently blew away with hot turbo boost. Don't know - but I did think I pressure tested it 2 nd time around too.
When I looked at the others, some were oriented same way and were just sealing on manifold surface by a mm or less. Flip them over and they have several more mm to seal on. One of the hard earned lessons.
Take note Todd.
Regards
Alan
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: