Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ABS pump failure anybody???

Whilst driving car tonight(1992 3.3 964 turbo) i noticed the brake warning light come on then the brake pedal became very hard to press!!.
I then opened the luggage compartment to find brake fluid in the floor

After further investigation i noticed the abs pump looked soaking wet and noticed that the pressure switch looked like it had blown out of position

not so noticable with this picture

when pump angled

Finally here is an OLD picture i took over a year ago and all looks intact compared to now!

Has anybody experienced a failure like what seems to be where the fluid is coming from??.
I noticed in the parts diagram there is an "o" ring between the green anodised pressure switch and the pump body,,Maybe this has failed and due to the great pressure has blew the switch out of position???

Anybody any thoughts before i strip to investigate???
Cheers!!!
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What is ABS???
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The switch has simply failed. It is not uncommon unfortunately. That switch has little to do with the ABS, more with the hydraulic brake booster circuit. It's the thing that makes your pump run every now and then, as well as turning on the warning lights when turning something fails.

There is an O-ring, but it is not what fails. It comes on a new switch.

This jobs looks really easy but can be difficult and dangerous for an inexeperienced DIY'er.

I forget what size socket you need but it's rather large. Most sockets that size are thickwalled for thrength. I bought a cheaper socket from NAPA and turned it down in the lathe until it fit between the switch and the pump body.

If you have trouble getting it out I can find out what size it is.

You'll need to bleed the brake system as well as the hydraulic booster circuit when you get done. The repair manuals warn agaist pressures as high as 180 bar if my memory serves me correct. It's no wonder the switches give out over time... Best of luck
Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

They can also fail from inadequate protection (panels left off), combined with objects in trunk subjected to the wonderful G loads created from C-2 turbo brakes...
Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
Look at it this way, when the ABS pump on my '01 Audi S4 failed it promptly dumped ALL my brake fluid and I became aware of this predicament only when my brake pedal went straight to the floor. My wife's 9-5 pump failed the same month! The fact that our Type 964 pumps are lasting so long speaks to the build quality of these cars. If you can fix that switch without having to replace the pump, motor and electronic control unit for $3000 (like on the Audi and Saab) then that's even better!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just a quick update guys,
Ordered a new pressure switch today from the dealer,Porsche premium as usual i suspect,180 gbp($350 approx)

Green anodised switch unscrewed from pump then electrical plug with micro switch on it screwed out from switch to see inside!

inside pressure switch to see highlighted "o" ring around crimped in piston body which has blown out of location thus leaking fluid from pump

Hopefully will fit new switch,, bleed system and all will be well,,on the bright side at least hopefully its only the switch and i am not having to replace a very expensive pump..
will post results mid week once new switch comes!!
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.

Last edited by stup; 07-11-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Come on now, this is the 930 board.... where we all know ABS is for sissies!!!

...well unless it's raining
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: