Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I would imagine that someone who has 935 and 962 engines is treated just a little better than a random call from an unknown guy looking for help on hooking up an intercooler fitting. If you don't look like a good sale you aren't worth their time.
Unfortunate but true.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I would imagine that someone who has 935 and 962 engines is treated just a little better than a random call from an unknown guy looking for help on hooking up an intercooler fitting. If you don't look like a good sale you aren't worth their time.
Unfortunate but true.
HHmm ... but Dieter didn't know me from a bale of hay when I first called. I just called up and said "I have this 935 with engine number xyz " and the guy was very nice. I knew who Dieter was though because he has been the "guy" at Andial for a long time. I would try calling again. Like I said he may have caught that guy on a bad day .Worse thing that happens is he takes a little more abuse and has another good story to tell us all
Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Phooey... "I have this 935 with your engine serial number" vs. "umm... I want to install someone elses intercooler and I need to know how to move your crap around" are two totally different realities. One means that you are gonna spend mad money with them and the other is hey give me some free advice. Not that they shouldn't... heck, if they had given him the advice he had politely asked for they could have finished the conversation with how great the andial intercooler is and maybe you shoudl consider it instead of the RUF. Either way, customer service is the first line of defense for any company that does not want to go out of business!!! That guy could have taken an easy 5 minute phone answer and potentially parlayed it into thousands of dollars of future follow up business down the road. Now he has not only lost one customer but most of us will probably think twice before going to them... plus maybe not root for their race teams anymore Pelican needs to sponsor a GT car so we have someone we can root for!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Removed Andial, Added Ruf intercooler and Car has never pulled so hard.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Holy crap!!! You actually did it. I am moving to Canada so I can hang out with you!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
DOOOD!!! That's gotta be one of the most hilarious pix i have seen in a while! It was worth gettting the 930 just to be a part of be a part of this board, with all the info and entertainment. Glad the car is running strong.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Thats great...I would have driven over for the event!
2002 996TT
1984 930 Turbo (gone and missed)
Old 07-12-2008, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
When I first started dealing with Andial but the founding fathers were there. And if you called you would likely talk to one of them. Haven't they sold out, shut down, etc in the last 15-20 years? They aren't what they used to be.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

This thread needs to be a sticky or a wiki or something historical!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Lmao!

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 07-12-2008 at 11:50 PM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It has to be a difficult thing to sell a business that is your name in the title and watch the reputation go downhill.

This entire thread has been humorous in a satirical way. I still chuckle thinking about the guy telling a potential customer to get his head out of his ass. I'm sure everyone in sales has wanted to say that at some point, ha!

In the end, finding information like that is what this board is all about. Folks in business typically don't have time to answer general inquiries. Got a question? Post it. Hopefully here you will have less need for a cranio-rectal extraction.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Tell the sales person that their technology is stone age and they are lucky to be in business with such an old product. Maybe if they advertised some more electronic injection I would have some respect- they are yester-year's news... I guess they only know engine rebuilding and not engine managment.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John at J&S View Post
off topic, but I have an Andial story.

I thought they would be interested in marketing my knock controller, so I made an appointment to see Deiter, must have been in '92.

My test car was a Ford EXP. To demo the unit, I had a bargraph gauge to show the amount of knock retard and a disable switch, so I could turn it off and make it ping. I had the initial timing cranked up to 25, was running it on 87 octane, and on top of that, it was a pretty hot day.

I drove Deiter around the area on surface streets. Every time I stepped on the gas, the knock retard gauge would light up and the unit would retard, preventing audible knock.

Deiter's comment was "It's retarding all the time."

Actually, it was retarding only when it needed to. I should have let him drive it, with the unit disabled, then turned it on again, but I couldn't believe he didn't understand what was happening. I guess the cat got my tongue, because I didn't respond. I dropped him off at the shop and never saw him again.

I later heard that they tuned on the dyno with the aid of knock headpones, so I dropped in to show them my Knock-Finder, but they weren't interested.

wow john, that story really shows the level of idiocy at andial. i find it amusing when once-reputable companies are still doing things the dinosaur way like they're stuck in the 70's or something, instead of embracing and understanding technology and advancing with the times.

on a somewhat related note, i've been using the j&s safeguard for almost two years now and i think it's one of the best investments i've made. it's good to see you're still active in the enthusiast community.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
Hirev, you kick ass for posting that pic!
Seriously, Porschephilia is plagued with elitism, and I like to think PelicanParts community is the island of sanity. Many of us here are blessed with more brains than bucks, and we need to "keep it real".
I am dragging myself painfully through my rebuild and EFI dispite my fiscal challenges. Everywhere I turn in Porsche-land are retailers with their hands shooting towards my wallet while "shushing" my questions. Having been a vendor for an aftermarket product, I know how much work it is to courteously answer seemingly petty inquests. But nobody, regardless their reputation or standing, is entitled to speak to others that way. Props for taking the high road.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Me like track days

A fitting death! ;-)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

The awesomeness of this sacrifice is beyond words!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post

Removed Andial, Added Ruf intercooler and Car has never pulled so hard.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
You should forward that pic to Jesse, and thank him for giving you the motivation to take that piece of **** out of there.

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Glad you guy's are getting a kick out of it.
Shops sometimes seem to always have there hand out to us and don't realize most do this hobby on a budget. That is why it's nice we have this forum from Pelican to share info and do some of the work ourselves.

Vic I thought I would answer your pm on here incase someone else wants to know.
The Ruf intercooler did not just bolt on as with most mods. But here is what I faced with mine.
1. Removed stock IC and factory blow off/bypass.
2. Switched stock black rubber elbow for the newer one that takes a blow off valve.
3. Made a connector to connect the rubber elbow to the turbo inlet pipe.
4. Modified the factory piece that go's from the intercooler to the turbo outlet, I needed to do this because of the K27 I put on. Not sure if you will need to do this with the stock turbo.
5. Removed the boost sensor from factory bypass and mounted it on the Ruf IC.
6. Adjusted A/F with LM1.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Classic!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Is that a "cool colar" on the oil filter? Got any plans to sacrifice that little gem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: