Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ultimate compliment???

So I have my polished rims, super fat tires with fresh chalk marks all around the perimeter to test for rubbing, numbers from the track, the magnetic logo for my company on the doors, zork tube, racing seats, harnesses, etc., so the car looks pretty 'track ready (car has been basically sitting in my garage since returning from track). I am gassing up and some guy rolls up in his Taurus and shouts really loud "now that is a F***in car!...some F****in car!...man now that is some F****in car, ya know what I mean!"

Now ask you...

1. although not eloquent, did he not capture the essence of "930ness"?
2. what other F****in car gets reviews like that on a regular basis?

Later on some dude hangs out the window and yells, "hey that car sounds great what did you do throw a V-8 in there???", to which, I answer, "naw, just a 3.3 turbo and open exhaust"...his final word was "awesome" as he drove away.

On the upside, it's obvious GUYS like the car and on the downside, GUYS like the car.....Zork may be too intense for the LADIES???

1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 07-13-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

The louder the exhaust, the quieter she sounds in the passenger seat...whenever the conversation starts heading in a direction im not liking, I just drop a gear. haha

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

About a month ago, I had the zork on and was slowly pulling out of my office parking garage, and an older guy driving a big azz Ford "dually" pick'em-up-truck honks his horn and gives me the thumbs-up with a huge smile. At the next light he pulls up and says: "yep...that's the one"...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm still blown away at how much attention these cars get. I stopped for gas yesterday and got compliments from 3 different people by the time I pumped 10 gallons.

It does make me a little nervous driving through sketchy parts of town, I don't want to trigger that predator instinct and end up on the wrong end of a car-jacking.

My favorite was when I was rolling through a restaurant parking lot and a mother and a little boy about 3yrs old were walking along the row I was driving in. I popped the throttle a little and the kid's head snapped around and he just stared mouth agape as I went by. His mother practically had to drag him the into their car, he was smitten with the 930!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

For some reason, kids - boys and girls - love the "old" Porsches! I'm not sure if it has something to do with the shape, or what?!?! All the kids I pass in my neighborhood either point, or turn their heads to look
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Agree! Zorks are awesome sounding, especially under boost!

Funniest thing that happened to me was pulling into a Starbucks one
evening, as I idled through the parking lot, car alarms were chirping as I passed them in the lot.

Parked and as I got out someone yelled, "Dam that car demands respect from parked cars!"
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Zork must mean awesome in German???
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
I don't like attention much so when the 930 needs gas or is in transit to and from the track I swear every damn person is staring, just awkward feeling! You would think these old cars would eventually blend in as an "old car" given all the new racey stuff flying around. I guess NOTHING looks like a 930. (not leaving out our 911 brothers!)
Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you don't like attention you bought the wrong car!
Throw a GT2 wing on back, foot wide tires and neon red paint and watch the gawking. Every outing is an event.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My father was driving my 930 during an instructional weekend a few weeks back where some friends and I were instructing. One of the guys had a student in a well prepared S4 wagon that had been dynoed somewhere close to 500 at the wheels (novice group no less). Needless to say he spend the whole weekend screaming out of everycorner to chase down people in the straights. According to my buddy, when they came up to my dad in the 930, he just backed off and said 'Any car that sounds like that demands some respect'.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
dropped my 6-year old off at kindergarden and the entire parking lot stared at us, and now labelled as the mid-life crisis guy, I'm only 38 and had to explain to all the dad's that I'm a 16-year old in a 38-year old body
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoats View Post
dropped my 6-year old off at kindergarden and the entire parking lot stared at us, and now labelled as the mid-life crisis guy, I'm only 38 and had to explain to all the dad's that I'm a 16-year old in a 38-year old body
My story...exactly! Now with my daughter starting kindergarten, she'll be climbing from the back and my ten year old son rides in the front! The look of horror on the SUV/Mini-van driving moms is priceless!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This is how my kids rode in style to school. They loved the attention. Jr doesn't fit so well in the back anymore ...

Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Brian, it's evident from this picture that you've been exceeding the posted speed limits. The "turbo grin" pretty much says it all!

I had this same grin a half hour ago...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Brian, your kids need to get Hans for how you drive i'm sure That's just awesome, and part the reason why I can't wait to have kids...maybe in 10 years though.

So everyone gets this much attention? I can't really say that I see ANY 930's or aircooled 911's in the Woodlands...I know they're out there, just in hiding.

Awesome stories, I never get tired of reading them. Brian i'm sure with your zork manufacturing you're ensuring that the future generation of car designers might just go back to the basics due to inspiration from that little marque from Stuttgart.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Kids are a hoot, they say the darndest things.
I took my daughter to the movie store last week. She said "boost it daddy", so when we got back on the highway I short shifted 2nd and smacked the trottle. The boost hit like Thor's hammer and the car jumped sideways a few feet. She laughed and then said "dad, you're speeding and breaking the law". I told her just owning one of these is breaking the law.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Kids are a hoot, they say the darndest things.
I took my daughter to the movie store last week. She said "boost it daddy", so when we got back on the highway I short shifted 2nd and smacked the trottle. The boost hit like Thor's hammer and the car jumped sideways a few feet. She laughed and then said "dad, you're speeding and breaking the law". I told her just owning one of these is breaking the law.
That is sig quote worthy right there lol.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

^ x 100 true to boot!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: