Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

So Close

Forgive my daily posts but this is like therapy for me
So today I set off with a goal to get the BOV installed and maybe even the valve covers. The Porsche gods must have been smiling because that was accomplished with time to spare. I did not break anything but somehow I cut the cr@p out of my finger and dripped the proverbial blood and sweat on the valve covers. Instead of wiping it off I left it there as a sacrifice to the gods of starting up on the first try and not spewing oil or gas all over the place...

After that I figured I would attempt to begin the mating dance of the motor and tranny. Everything got lubed up just like they tell you to on the late night Dr. Ruth shows...

I have to say... that was the most difficult insertion I have had the pleasure of making. It just did not want to go together. Tighter then the first (use your imagination)... I finally had to get my 130 lb wife to lean on the front of the motor and keep it from walking across the garage floor any further (I really need to make some friends that know how to work on cars too). After about 45 minutes something, somewhere in the universe decided that I had said a sufficient number of swear words and I finally saw the bolts peek through the tranny holes. So I used the nuts to finish the mating ritual.

After I got the starter installed and wired up I decided to push my luck and install the fan belt. It seems a little loose, but only time will tell on that one. I only have two washers between the pulley halves so I really don't have much to play with if I have to take out some more slack (the floor was nice and clean before I started this project three months ago).

Anyway, that is all for tonight. Tomorrow I will attempt to install the engine bay sound pad, new heater hoses and clean up the engine bay a little bit. Who knows, maybe I will even get an engine installed at some point??? Anyone free tomorrow afternoon to hold the fire extinguisher???
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
I've rather enjoyed your posts, someone with whom to share my special misery.
I'm actually going the other direction. Last night I decided to try pulling the power steering pump belt, y'know just to try out the steering like a 'real' car. Well, the airbox came out and I just kept pulling things. Now I have the whole CIS out, all the smog out, and I think I'm just gonna drop the motor tomorrow night.
So I'll take the fan and housing to the powdercoaters... how'd you get your fan housing strap so blingy? ...and I'll order the EFI stuff ASAP. The 964 cams are ready to go in as soon as the motor is on the ground.
As for blood sacrifices to the Porsche gods, I could describe the day I stalled a bench grinder with my thumb...
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ah yes... the good old bench grinder. My favorite is when I am using the wire wheel and I have to pluck the little steel brush pieces out of my body after I am done. Or when the piece you are holding gets hot quicker then you thought so you accidently loosen your grip and it shoots into the wall and bounces back to pop you on the forehead. I can't believe they sell those things at stores. We should have to get training and a license. Although, I did burn the crap outta my leg yesterday when the weld puddle splattered on my leg from the throttle lever...
The strap is "blingy" because our host shipped me a brand new one in the mail after I gave them my credit card number for the 400th time this build.
As for the powdercoating... I scratched it in a few places when trying to get everything back together. I am hoping that once I get the car running again I can drive it over there and see if he has the equivalent of a touch-up paint. I was so pissed when I saw those scratches...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Looks like good progress!!! You remember to get the "ears" on the T/O bearing fitted to the clutch release fork? One guy I know forgot to do this and the engine/tranny had to come back out...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yup... I did in fact get the clutch fork fitted over the ears. That was my wife's responsiblity while I wrestled with the mating ritual. After everything was bolted up I could not turn the shaft to get the ears to fit over the T/O Bearing. Thought it would have to come back apart so I said screw it and stuck a screwdriver in there and it popped right on exactly like I knew what I was doing
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspturtle View Post
yup... I Did In Fact Get The Clutch Fork Fitted Over The Ears. That Was My Wife's Responsiblity While I Wrestled With The Mating Ritual. After Everything Was Bolted Up I Could Not Turn The Shaft To Get The Ears To Fit Over The T/o Bearing. Thought It Would Have To Come Back Apart So I Said Screw It And Stuck A Screwdriver In There And It Popped Right On Exactly Like I Knew What I Was Doing
Awesome!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: