Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Oil temp observation & question

I went for a drive yesterday in the heat of the afternoon. Ambient air temps were probably high 80's. With the sun beating down, I'm sure the road surface was hot enough to fry up some eggs. Anyway, I'm cruising along in top gear, not boosting, and the temp guage seemed to be slowly creeping up to the mid point and even slightly above. Now I expect that in hot weather, its going to run hotter, especially after I boost my way out of a toll booth stop or something like that. But I wouldn't expect that it would continue to slowly climb for miles after I've settled into a steady cruise in top gear at 75mph, I would expect it to settle back down around or below the midpoint.

So...all this time I've got windows down fully and the sunroof wide open, since my A/C in operative and its hot and humid. A bit later in the ride I shut the windows and sunroof, and it seemed to me that it was only then that the oil temp settled back down to the slightly below mid-point that I expect. Is it possible that the airflow over the rear end of the car is disrupted with the windows and/or sunroof open to the extent that it causes the engine to get less fresh air, and therefore run hotter? Just wondering...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

excellent question

I just returned yesterday from a 3 hour drive (outside Albany to Boston) in 90oF temps with windows and sunroof open as well. my gauge was rock solid at the midpoint even with boosting with an occasional Vette, EVO, WRX and such. I have a front fender cooler w/fan and it did NOT trigger to blow at any time during the mid-day run.

I've wondered too about the airflow, especially now that I have a bigger IC and less of an opening to draw air down... although I have removed the AC so most of the left side of the deck lid is fully open.

it is my understanding that the engine cooling by the engine fan is not fully dependent upon forced airflow over the deck because of the huge sucking capacity of the multi-bladed fan.

I do this trip multiple time over the spring-summer-fall. I'll pay closer attention to closing up the 'openings' to see if your observation holds true... how much below the 90oC mid point line did you get by roasting yourself inside your 930 oven?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Check your timing and make sure it is not too far advanced. It should settle at a certain value and stay there.
You may have something else going on.
Also make sure your oil thermostat is opening in the rear well. feel the lines going to the front cooler and see if they are hot.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
beancounter

The front cooler loop is working...I've felt the lines and they are hot. I can also hear the gushing of the oil through the lines sometimes. I've got the trombone cooler, so its on my list to upgrade at some point.

My wrench supposedly set the timing to factory spec, but I haven't checked myself. I need to add a timing light to my toolbox.

BTW, the oil temps seem to move about slowly. I hope I didn't give the impression that it is fluctuating wildly. Yesterday, the max temp I saw was btw 9 and 10o'clock on the guage. When it settled down below the mid point it was just below 9 o'clock, so what would that be in Farhenheit scale? 15 degrees?

I did the 2nd half of the 45 mile ride with the windows up...used the fresh air blower to keep myself from bursting into flames, with an ocaissonal crack of the windows to freshen up the cabin.

Last edited by jwasbury; 07-17-2008 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: add detail
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post

My wrench supposedly set the timing to factory spec, but I haven't checked myself. I need to add a timing light to my toolbox.
Advanced timing has a cooling affect - retard the timing and you'll add heat to the combustion chamber/exhaust.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Advanced timing has a cooling affect - retard the timing and you'll add heat to the combustion chamber/exhaust.
DonE,
thanks for the correction.
As far as oil temps.....that trombone cooler is pretty useless....I had one on my 79 930 as well and it did not do much to lower temps. Can't believe Porsche released the turbo version with that cooler installed.
Do yourself a favor and install a Carrea style cooler with thermostatic fan....this should help alot.
And remember that you could always upgrade the oil temp gage to replace the stock white and red markings with one that reads actual temps...Pelican sells it and is a worthwhile upgrade so you aren't guessing what the lines mean in terms of temp.
I think from memory of my gage, 9'oclock is 230 degrees F.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

here's a gauge face from a 911 with the "hidden oC" corresponding to the white lines...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: