Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

930 Rear Shocks Question . . .

I know it probably has been covered a thousand times, but I'm going to ask anyway as a quick search didn't show much:

What rear shocks would one recommend for a 1987 930 that will be a daily driver that sees some track use (member days at a local road course) - stock suspension otherwise? . . . hopefully something I can order from our host . . .

Note: I come from a motorcycle racing background and know next to nothing about auto shocks.

This will be yet another "while you are in there" item - hard to pass up replacing the 21 year old units when the engine is out and the surrounding area is now clean enough to eat on !!!!

Thanks, Ronnie

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 07-17-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bilstein is the only way to fly...
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Well, it looks like the "green" Bilsteins are on there now (and nothing seems to be wrong with them - the PP add for them says they will likely last the life of the car) . . . any sure way to ID the shocks for certain (other than their color)? I read on the PP add for Bilsteins that the yellow, "sport" shock is really only suitable for cars with larger that stock torsion bars (which I do not have) . . . guess if mine are indeed Bs then I should just leave well enough alone for now . . .

Thoughts/comments?

Ron
Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

. . . just answered my own ID question - went out with a flashlight and found the "Bilstine" etched into them!

I guess it would be a waste of money to replace them with the same since it doesn't appear to be anything wrong with them . . .
Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bilsteins at this point are ancient technology for these cars. They work but they have a harsh way of soaking up major bumps because they always compress stiffly.

The next step up is a tremendous leap forward and that is Fox shocks. They are adjustable with less unsprung weight due to the two piece mounting and proven to drop lap times significantly over Bilstein, and be more comfortable to boot because they are less stiff in absorbing bumps and also adjust to the road surface better for more grip.

I can't afford them right now....I guess I will run my Bilstein Sports for a while longer.

One thing people like to do is re-valve the Bilstein for their exact application, and that is a step better than stock and pretty cost effective.

If you like what you got, just drive it.

Last edited by DDDD; 07-17-2008 at 06:58 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Let me clarify my response... Bilstein Sports. The yellow ones. No need for bigger torsion bars. They help the squat and dive immensely with stock torsion bars. You won't regret it. Mine was like a new car after I did it... hmm, that was also the same time I rebuit the A-arms, replaced the ball joints and something else I can't remember. But I do know that the squat and dive that was very pronounced in my car is much less so now. And, the ride quality is still nice enough that my wife does not complain about riding around with me
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I went from Bilstein to adjustable Konis (red) and I'm very pleased with the change.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I think Steve of Rennsport has stated that he doesn't agree with off the shelf settings of Bilstein shocks. He prefers to have them custom valved according to your exact requirements/usage.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

He had two requirements... daily driver (occassional track time) & could be ordered from our host. Do you really need custom valved or super lightweight for that scenario?
You could simply start a poll...
Bilstein Yellow
Bilstein Green
Koni Red
Other
That is my recommendation for how we beat this question into the ground.
(sorry for the attitude but I have been battling my car since 10am this morning with no real tangible evidence of my toils)
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I would go with revalving your green shocks, through Smart Racing Products, or others like Elephant Racing. You may even be able to buy custom revalved shocks through Pelican, from the Elephant catalog of products. Don't know for sure.

I did this on my 87 street/track car, and based on Rich (at Smart Racing)'s advice, went with their F&R 10 valving, and 22/30 torsion bars. Nice ride, and much better at the track. I did upgrade the torsion bars as well, because it is wise to treat the shock & spring (coil or torsion) as a single unit, since neither can work without the other. (I have since grown out of that particular valving, but my car has evolved accordingly, and is now way more "track" than "street").

In a nutshell, I think you'll be happy with a set of custom valved stock Bilsteins, and don't neglect the fronts either. You want these things to work well together.

On a side note, good luck with your car DSP!!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Bilstein green in front, yellow in rear, stock torsion bars, elephant rear sway stock front, 18" wheels. Drives well at high speed and playing in corners.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Bilstein HD up front and Koni Sports (adj) in rear. Works great with my set up.

Havng said that, custom valved Bistein or coil overs would be nice. I just didn't know about them when I did mine.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for all the input guys - very interesting !!!

Ronnie
Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: