Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
SC cams Timing?

Hi I wounder if any one can recommend how I should set the timing
Have a 930 engine 1976 with SC cam. original should set 1mm. but with this cam should i go for 1,4mm. or more??
the engine is now 3.2 liter and have JE pistons and ported heads etc.
big turbo.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I went 1.65 with my 3.4L Turbo and SC cams. When my parts were at the machinist being measured and such, his recommendation based on the mock up he did to check for valve to piston interference was 1.70. Keep in mind this was for *MY* engine...YMMV.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-21-2008, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Looks nice, BTW...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
this is what the car looks like!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I went 1.65 with my 3.4L Turbo and SC cams. When my parts were at the machinist being measured and such, his recommendation based on the mock up he did to check for valve to piston interference was 1.70. Keep in mind this was for *MY* engine...YMMV.
+1
You reach the point of diminishing returns after that. With that beautiful 3.0 your building, advancing the cams to that value will help your low end torque. With larger port 3.2 heads, the port velocity is going to drop a ton, but the higher compression pistons should compensate quite nicely.
As Sand_man states, always check valve to piston clearance when using new pistons and changes in valve timing.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The engine is now 3.2 liter 98mm piston and the heads are ported to 38mm.
What you mean is that 1.mm is good and to go over that is not good ?
I will measure the clear ens!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
It's not going over 1.6-1.7 is bad, it's that there is very little to be gained by going over that value......except maybe valves kissing the pistons. When you advance the cams, you're moving the entire VE curve to the left and it provides you a little more low end torque with little sacrifice on the top end RPM range.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

+1

You might be better off going to a different (aka, custom) cam.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: