Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

exhaust temp Q

I have a stainless exhaust - the turbo feeds into the top portion, and there are dual outlets - one each end on the lower portion.
One side at idle always shows a hot gas emitting - too hot to keep hand over, while the other outlet is cold - altho gas is emitting too.
Given the flow into and out of the turbo is common to both sides of engine and headers, why would this be? And is it indcative of anything?
Alan
Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
I have a stainless exhaust - the turbo feeds into the top portion, and there are dual outlets - one each end on the lower portion.
One side at idle always shows a hot gas emitting - too hot to keep hand over, while the other outlet is cold - altho gas is emitting too.
Given the flow into and out of the turbo is common to both sides of engine and headers, why would this be? And is it indcative of anything?
Alan
Over the years I have had 930s with different manufactures dual outlet systems. Exhaust flow from all 6 cylinders is just dumped into the same central muffler body and exits via the path of least Resistance.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, this is weird. There is about the same volume of gas thru each outlet. The LHS outlet - below the turbo exit into the exhaust is always hot. The RHS is always cold - often stone cold, with occaisional pulses of warm air. I also had an issue where the LHS outlet would emit black smoke on idle - rich, while the RHS does not.
Alan
Old 07-26-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: