Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

OT but Serious Question

I know this is a little OT but I figure some of you guys must have dealt with this and maybe have some good ideas.

After finishing up the 930 motor and tranny, and then today prepping the 944 for next weekend DE I realized that I have destroyed my garage floor. It looks like total crap.

When we first bought the house 10 years ago, brand new, the first thing I did was etch and stain the floor. About 3 years ago I put the 1-part rustoleum floor epoxy on it. The epoxy is now flaking up everytime I sweep, wash or rub my foot real hard. Anyway, it is time to do something about the floor.

Does anyone on here have any good solutions that you have used in the past for a floor that has been previously painted? I really woudl love to know what they use in those beautiful races shops. I am willing to do it myself, but I don't want to expend the effort only to have it pull up. I want this to be unmarred by brake cleaner, gasoline, oil and anything else I can manage to spill in the garage.

Any ideas?
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-27-2008, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Does anyone on here have any good solutions that you have used in the past for a floor that has been previously painted?
Contract with a company that epoxy paints aircraft hanger floors. The materials they use are bullet proof - acetone, trichlor, lacquer thinner, oil and grease won't touch the good stuff and it won't chip easily. (Drop and engine or trans or sledge hammer in the right manner - not warranteed.)
Present floors will have to be shot peened to effectively clean and begin the process of proper surface prep. If old paint/contaminants are not removed, nothing will stick and you're back to square 1.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wow, shot-peened??? Is that like sand blasting? I guess a pressure washer is not effective enough. Any idea on what a job like that would cost??? $2-3K?
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Most of the epoxy finishers shot blast and prep the floor before coating. They charge based on square footage. Look in the yellow pages. The maintenance guys at the airport will give you recommendations on who to call, most of these jobs are done at the hangers. When done correctly it is bullet proof. When done incorrectly it is a big flaking mess. I am doing my shop in the fall, It's very sweet.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Agree on the aircraft hanger stuff...will last forever.

On the other hand, contact Chad at Showroom Garages they're flooring is some of the best around. I plan on using they're stuff in my garage when its time.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Use Muriatic acid to etch the floor after pressure washing several times and coat with Sherwin Williams industrial two part epoxy. Holds up to lacquer thinner poured right on it. Won't lift when rolling a car on a jack. Holds up great.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: