Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

RarlyL8 stock-exit muffler installed

Did this last weekend, then drove her to D.C. and back.

Weld detail on wastegate dump pipe..."it takes a very steady hand"

Here is the pile of crap that fell out (much of it in my face) when removing the heat shield behind the bumper

the "before" shot - stock muffler 1979 USA model

side by side comparison of the new and old muffler

Here is the "after" shot...i got excited to get it back together and forget to snap a photo with the bumper off

Impressions:

Love the sounds at idle. Between mid 2k to mid 3k rpms its pretty loud, especially in the urban jungle where I live. Even with the stock muffler, in that range it sounded pretty raspy, but the nasty yet muted rasp has become pretty naughty. At higher rpms on boost it sounds like a jet fighter. The sound of the turbo spooling is much more noticeable (me like). On decel, there is lots of snap, cracklin' and poppin'

I does seem to me that I'm not getting the .8 bar on the boost gauge that I used to. Is it possible that this is due to the muffler? It most certainly could be a CIS problem as I've been having mild drivability issues (a part throttle stumble/miss) that maybe is an intake leak that is just getting worse and is now impacting my boost level...
Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you mess with the wastegate at all when you were doing the install? The free flow exhaust, in theory, should actually allow the turbo to spool up easier due to the reduction in back pressure. My vote would be to start at the wastgate before you get too far into trouble shooting.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Here is the pile of crap that fell out (much of it in my face) when removing the heat shield behind the bumper
LOL...and still laughing, that is exactly what happened to me!
The excitement of a Zork quickly dwindled when 21 year road debris feel onto my face, most into my mouth from the freakin grin I had on when installing
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

BTW... that is a cool looking exhaust!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-27-2008, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Did you mess with the wastegate at all when you were doing the install?
Nope...no messing with the wastegate during the install, other than bolting on the dump pipe. I think I've got an intake leak that is slowly getting worse. I've got CIS gauges now and need to check fuel pressure and such too. I need to get off my @$$ and do the troubleshooting but its just more fun bolting up the new muffler.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Hey Jacob, glad you got it installed. Should make a huge difference in driving impression vs stock.
I just love the sound of that muffler. I took mine out this morning while all the good folks were in church and terrorized the mountain, man what a powerful note on boost! It's not too loud it's just muscle car strong. Sooo much fun.

Concerning your boost issue, check for leaks and also check the BOV function.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Congrats Jacob, tx for sharing. Love your color btw!

Hilarity on the debris issue, I had a fair amount here too during last month's install of Brian's dual outlet system. Hey, least you weren't too giddy to remember your freakin camera like I was 8-).

Odd on your underboost phenomena - I have just the opposite... from 0.8 max to now 0.94. Hmmm.

Amen on your sound impressions. And if you want even more snapcracklepop surf down a few days' worth of threads about disconnecting the decel valve. TOO FUN!

Your install shot seems to show you removed your bumper "TEETS" too - did you keep them off? I did. Quite the happy camper I am! I'll get a pics and impressions thread up sooner or later...

Enjoy your newfound giddiness!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
That weld is stunningly beautiful!

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

must sound great
Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
beancounter

Flieger, I agree its a beautiful weld. A nice bead is like artwork...that why I wanted to post that pic, as a tribute to the artisan's skill.

Paul, thanks for the comments. I put the bumber boobs back on. Not sure what to do with the holes and the license plate lighting without those boobs. I kind of like the stock look anyhow. I plan to keep it stock looking for the most part. I do find myself lusting after some Lindsey Fuchs (like you) though.

Brian, install went well I think. I am liking the sounds. I've been wondering about the BOV. How does one go about testing it? Looking forward to the SSIs which will complete the exhaust system.

cheers!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
is there a pelican parts good guy price on the unit pictured?

please pm me. i have an unsilenced unit but think i may be better off w/ the single bullet style resonator.

thank you in advance brian.

pcb
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Paul, thanks for the comments. I put the bumber boobs back on. Not sure what to do with the holes and the license plate lighting without those boobs. I kind of like the stock look anyhow. I plan to keep it stock looking for the most part. I do find myself lusting after some Lindsey Fuchs (like you) though.
Know what you're saying - I too aim to keep it otherwise stock appearing... save for them some-day Lindsay's 8-). Sigh...

A GT3 bud of mine referred me to http://www.caplugs.com/ for bumper plugs, I'll surf there or otherwise hear local hardware stores carry body plugs to try. Eventually I'll have them welded and respray the bumper, hopefully. Figure the weight savings is nice, and ANYTHING is better than them insipid triple D's - which are *normally* a GOOD THING! 8-)

I'm running nekkid for plate lights. Figure a pig's headlights light up the rear tag enough as it is, beyond that I'll just play dumb - which I'm good at. Hopefully it's a non issue. I'd already Sharpie'd over my plate light lenses prior anyway so they were rather er um 'dim' heh heh.

Really dig your blue... how far down in NJ you? Would you consider heading to CT 8/23 for an Audi / Porsche gathering I hold each year? Beers and burgs and cool dudes and ridiculous cars... love to meet you. We usually get ~ 85 cars, maybe 1/2 dozen Porsche's, Ferrari's, etc. in addition to all the S-Car Audi's...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
So you changed the wastegate dump for one of Brians as well as the muffler?
If so, that is why your boost level dropped as you are now getting no overboost which is a good thing. If you want more boost uprate your spring or try fitting a boost control of some type.

Yep, those welds are great. I'd have no doubts at all buying something from Brian thats been made by Ben. My hat off to them both
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
So you changed the wastegate dump for one of Brians as well as the muffler?
If so, that is why your boost level dropped as you are now getting no overboost which is a good thing.
You think so? I know that most people say the stock guage is worthless but I swear to you that since I put in the Tial WG, its been topping out pretty much exactly at .8 bar (which is the spring I ordered the WG with). I was thinking the gauge must be fairly accurate then. Since the muffler and WG dump install, its topping out somewhere between .6 and .8 bar on the gauge. I'm not even sure if the WG is opening. To be honest, I was expecting more noise from the open dump pipe. I think all I am hearing is the new muffler, but its hard to say for sure. Maybe I need to stuff a banana up the dump pipe and then see if it blows out under boost to check the WG operation
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Are you getting exactly the same boost pressure all the time?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Are you getting exactly the same boost pressure all the time?
Hmmn. Good question. I probably am. I try not to stare at the boost gauge so I can't be sure. I suppose if it were a major boost leak I would probably be getting black smoke and it never has done that.

I still think I have some sort of intake leak though which is giving me a part throttle miss/stumble. I plan to get into it tonight and check fuel pressures and such.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
If you are getting a spot on boost level in any gear then your WG setup is working really well and you need to increase your boost pressure target. There are many options... I have an EBC with a .5bar spring in my Tial. I have been advised that I may need to use a stronger spring, maybe a .6 to get the EBC to work correctly at 1bar. I went with a Blitz Dual SBC.
I think a cheap thing can also work quite well from Dawes Devices.

Last edited by NathanUK; 07-29-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Jacob-

When my WG cracks and blasts through Brian's dump pipe - YOU KNOW IT! Something sounds awry.

I got it - come on up 8/23 and you can try mine 8-). Got your PM, thanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Once you drive around for a while and the muffler gets a covering of soot they calm down a fair bit, I've noticed this with all the mufflers I've had on my cars and motorbikes. I have a rarelyL8 muffler/wg dump and they seriously rock!!! We're so fortunate to have RarelyL8 making these masterpieces for us at affordable prices, my only fear is they stop making them.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
my only fear is they stop making them
No plans on that. I am putting together a plan for the future that will allow for a smoothing of the growing pains. Inventory is being stocked as well to help reduce lead times. The second generation modular design has been a tremendous success in reducing fitment issues on cars having aftermarket turbos and headers. I plan to stay small and focused. The only real wild card is stainless steel prices. My component costs are huge.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: