Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Time for the next round of mods... needs some advice.

Howdy, I'm about to invest another round of funding into my car and have a couple of questions that ideally y'all can help me sort out.

1) a/c

I have had thoughts of betrayal and thought about "upgrading" my 930 to a newer model with real a/c. I know I'd kick myself if I sold her and owning both is not a smart move for me at this stage so I'm going to try to get the cars a/c to a "tolerable" level. What does that mean? I dunno... I have a very capable wrench and he's proven to get it to "close to tolerable" with factory components but it really is still too hot to drive comfortably many months out of the year.

Iím willing to invest a few grand if I know Iíll get a kick ass result. The problem is there just doesnít seem to be a definitive answer. Am I doomed to try my luck with any of the ďkitsĒ out there and cross my fingers?

This really is a huge issue for me because I drive it only a few thousand miles a year and Iíd drive it more if I didnít sweat my ass off most of the time. The last time I posted about this in 2004 nothing really seemed to be a sure bet, is there anything else out there now that has given consistent results? If I donít figure this out Iím either getting a lift in my garage for the 930 or doing the unthinkable and ďupgradingĒ to a modern turbo.

2) Interior Upgrade ~ More Vents!

If Iím going to go for broke on a custom a/c I am thinking about what else I need to do to the interior to make it more comfortable and I figured more vents would likely help the equation. Iím thinking about where to place vents and I can only come up with either removing the center console all together to open it up somehow or installing a 993esque center console and putting some extra vents in that.

There is a gentleman on here with a black 930 and this kind console but Iíve forgotten who it is, perhaps he can chime in because I saw it first on his 930 and thought it was sweet enough to copy.  I just donít know if I could run vents through the back or not. Also, does anyone know where to source such a piece?

I donít track the car more than an occasional DE so weight is not much of a concern to me but I donít know of any other approaches. Any ideas out there?

3) Headlight Upgrade and Paint

I have always thought the Sugar Scoops didnít look as good as the more popular Euro look. I have owned the car for years and still havenít upgraded but Iíve decided to go ahead and do everything else I want to with this round of mods so I guess it is time. The only problem is my carís paint has been waxed so much over the years that it has faded a little bit. I definitely donít want to go with the chrome or black rings so I want to color match. Can modern paint guys do this?

4) Motor and Other upgrades

Ah yes, then the slope gets REALLY slippery. Iíve got all the basic bolt onís except headers and the car is great for how I use it. The only thing I think I would do is put on some B&B Headers to match my muffler and or go with a zork. My car sounds plenty nasty as is but a zork has piqued my interest. I donít want to mess with the CIS or get too crazy but what else should I be considering after what I think are most of the basics? (k27, B&B muffler, MSD ignition, heavy duty clutch, adjustable koniís, front strut bar, ss brake lines and street/track pads)

I donít need 750 hp and I donít want to drop $25K on the motor but is there anything else I should have that Iíve just missed?

Thanks for reading and please let me know your thoughts.

Oh, and since everyone loves pics:

Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

On the subject of Zorks, check out this site from a fellow pelican Rarlyl8's Exhaust Site, he's the guy to talk to for a zork.

As for the A/C, i'm about to get a beefed up system, and from what I've heard Khul is the company you want to deal with for extra coolers etc.

For the center console, you're thinking of the Better Bodies piece that has carpet on the sides and vinyl on the top, with a slot to hide the e-brake etc. 993 Style Console. Its not my taste, i think a Hargett shifter setup would be great, but that's just me. I know the gentlemen you speak of on Rennlist with the console, it looks great if you're about the "comfort" thingy. One day i'll stop gutting and start putting back in...

Good luck. And on the motor, resist the urge, but Imagine Auto does wonders for motors...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
If you are interested in doing your AC correctly, I think this is your only "REAL" option. I have everything for mine, but have not installed it yet. The reviews in Excellance were awesome.

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
They guy you refer to on here is known as oms930, on rennlist it's olli
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions...

After looking at the Griffith's site I'm looking at probably $3-5K worth of parts and 20 or so hours worth of my time or my wrench's. Has anyone on the board actually installed their parts on a 930? If so, how would it compare to a modern car's a/c system?

As for the console... I think I've talked myself out of it. It looks like i could add some more vents without it.

Anyone else have thoughts about the a/c?

Also, still would like to know about the liklihood of matching the paint on new headlight trim.

Finally, is there nothing else within reason I should do to my motor? Surely this group of twisted hp junkies can think of something!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I'm sure an experienced sprayer would know how to do your rings.

All the mods you mentioned are good, just don't mount a new turbo on your new headers, burn the new headers in for a while first.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Glad to see you're still around here. Invite me up to Austin for something, anything!

I've removed all my A/C stuff in prep for the Griffiths stuff. I just don't drive it enough to warrant that expense over race seats and a roll bar.

I'd vote against the zork tube. I think it's just too much noise and the quality is really lacking. I bought one and sent it right back. Instead I built a custom muffler using about $500 of Burnsstainless parts.

If you go with a custom muffler, I can provide custom cut flanges if you need them.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

If you're hell bent on getting more HP, upgrade the turbo, wastegate, exhaust, intercooler and go EFI, you'll be under the $25k mark and have a very, very noticable kick in the pants.

While you're in there go for the Hargett shift setup, it comes highly recommended. If you don't know which one that is either search or PM me for pics.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: