Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1977 Turbo Wiring diagram

Would anyone have wiring diagram for a 77 911 Turbo? I have the 1978-1983 Bentley 911 SC manual, that I use as a reference. I am trying to reconnect the headlight switch, and want to confirm the wiring connection, as I'm not sure that the 1977 and 1978 would have the same wiring colors on the switch.

There is also a red wire with spiral white stripe that I was not able to find in the manual at all. Any idea where that would get connected?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Good luck with that. The 1978 wiring diagram is well known and well distributed but I have yet to see one for a 1977.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't think there was to much available. That's why I orignally bought the 78-83 Bentley manual. Would there be anyone that owns a '76 or '77 Carrera Turbo that would be able to look at their for a description of the wire connections on their light switch? I think that I have most of the connection made based on the wiring diagram of the '78, but the red wire with the white swirl wasn't called out any where. I haven't seen another wire with a swirl on it, they usually have the colors as just stripes. Would that wire be for an after market add on possibly?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolies View Post
I didn't think there was to much available. That's why I orignally bought the 78-83 Bentley manual. Would there be anyone that owns a '76 or '77 Carrera Turbo that would be able to look at their for a description of the wire connections on their light switch? I think that I have most of the connection made based on the wiring diagram of the '78, but the red wire with the white swirl wasn't called out any where. I haven't seen another wire with a swirl on it, they usually have the colors as just stripes. Would that wire be for an after market add on possibly?
I have a 77 930, I will take a look later when I get home and post what I find. Jamie
Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I would really appreciate if you had the chance to do that.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

I didn;t see red wire with white swirl, must be aftermarket alarm, stereo or something, maybe to extra driving lights? I can make a little diagram maybe if need be, it is pretty tight up in there and I don't want to pull it, but I could at least count the wires and color code them. Jamie
Old 07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I thought that it might have been an aftermarket add on. Probably need to track down what it is used for.

It is definitely tight up under the dash. It amy be too difficult to see the wire colors from below. I really appreciate you looking at it.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gasoline User

Garage
kolies, I have a current flow diagram for a 1977 US 930 (from my 930 shop manual) and it does show a couple of red/white wires off the headlight switch...one goes to the headlight flasher switch and the other goes to the ignition/starter switch. I'll scan the headlight switch portion of the diagram tomorrow and try to post it here.
2013 Cayenne GTS Schwarz
2014 911 GT3 Rhodium Silber
Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
cycling has-been

I replaced the light switch on my 77 and made a pretty good diagram of everything before I pulled it apart.
There was a red w white ring wire in there somewhere.
I can check tonight if you still need this info.

fwiw, most sound system installers head right for the light switch for their hot wires so that you don't lose the station settings when the ignition is off.
The antenna, amp, receiver and speakers were all drawing power from my light switch (before the fire). Two of the spade terminals were piggy-backed with three terminals.

I also have the one-book factory loose-leaf red manual for the turbo carrera that includes just about all the wire diagrams you would need.

Bill K
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I did get one set of scanned docs in pdf format from someone on the board, and they helped a lot. They were kind of hard to read though, and they seem to be fairly different from the 78. For some reason, I am still coming up with one solid red wire extra. The 2 solid red and 2 red striped wires all seem to be coming from the factory wiring loom.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
cycling has-been

here's what I wrote at the time: (clockwise from middle resister grid)

terminal 75 - big red with white rings
terminal 58R - double: grey with red stripe
terminal 58L - double: grey with black stripe, gray with black ring
terminal N - solid grey (N might also be read as a 'K' ?)
terminal 56 - white with black stripe
terminal 58 - empty
terminal 30 - triple: red, red, red with white stripe
terminal 58A - triple: black with blue stripe (3)
terminal 57 - white with green stripe

I think terminal 58 was hot, key-off, so I used it for one of the reds that was tripled up to 30.

Bill K
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Would anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1983 , 930 Turbo ?
I have the Bentley manual and the turbo shop manual but no 83 wiring diagram.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Live wire to 8 pin CDI

Can anyone advise where the live wire to the 8 pin CDI unit comes from for 77 3 litre turbo, I am battling to trace it through the loom, hopefully someone can point me to a relay/ fuse location, either in the front or the rear to save some "burrowing" time!

Always the risk of breaking another wire in the process and compounding the problem
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
There is certainly a small relay to the left of the CDI that has a time delay so that the ignition stays powered for several seconds to burn all fuel in the engine. The fuel pumps cut off straight away.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

US spec 77 Turbo

This might help...started with a blurry scan and it goes down hill from there
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: