Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
89 930.

Garage
Lightbulb Detailing a 930

Hi all:

Don't know if your interested in different products at all, but id thought id pass this info along.
I was once a vinyl tech for a large company in Canada. Learned a few secrets and have been putting them to use for approx 15yrs.

For Vinyl and rubber. C.R.C makes a product called "Heavy Duty Silicone". Its sold in allot of places eg. NAPA ,blah blah blah (aerosol spray). Car interiors WOW, I apply it once every 1 or 2 years. Its soaked up by the dry vinyl or rubber. It will shine till you wipe it off.

DON'T USE ON LEATHER! (OVER-SPRAY WONT HURT IT ).

Interiors: Dash, door skins, any plastic part.

Exteriors: The rubber on the wings, Molding, and those bumper pads, mirrors(plastic parts) etc.

It has not hurt my paint in any way.... I spray it on, then wash it off any painted areas....can stay on for weeks without damage.

I don't use it on tires much because you'll need like 4 cans (they really soak it up).

Try it....... let me know what you think! Its about 5$ a can in Canada.

Amoral fades away after a few weeks. This doesn't.

If it looks splotchy on dry tired parts.... keep spraying and wiping... its just soaking in.

Just a recommendation.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I picked up some of this for my rubber parts a few weeks ago. So far i love it. It is supposed to have good UV protection and it doesn't run onto the paint when it gets wet.

http://www.werkstat.com/satin-prot.php

Do you have any paint correction tips for these cars? I got a Makita rotary buffer for my birthday and I have done a few tests on my paint but I'm not satisfied enough to try the whole car. My paint is GP White and has normal imperfections and swirls, anyone know if I have clear coat or if the white is single stage?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The GP white on my 86 turbo seems to be single stage. It was heavily oxidized when I got it and the buffing pads turned white.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

My paint, exterior trim, and interior were/are in primo condition when I picked up the car, which makes detailing much easier.

My car is always garaged...even at work (parking garage), so I'm just maintaining things. I use Zaino Brothers and the cleaner your canvas, the better your results. So after a good washing with Dawn, then a clay bar application, I used a light Menzerna polish with a giant green polishing pad on a Porter Cable orbital, to prep things. I then applied the Zaino (I use the Z-AIO ALL-IN-ONE, cleaner polish). I apply an extremely thin coat and let the car sit over night and rub it off. The more coats the better and deeper the shine. So I try to re-apply it after every few car washes. A tiny bit goes a L-O-N-G way and is very easy to apply and remove.

For the black trim, I use Aerospace 303. I've also used the 303 with good results on the interior, but I've recently gone to using those interior wipes from Meguires.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

IMHO I would never use any product that contains Silicone. After silicone invades a surface, it will never go away creating the so-call "fish eye" effect which is one of the most undesireable finding when repainting or shifting to other products. My2c.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

IMHO I would never use any product that contains Silicone. After silicone invades a surface, it will never go away creating the so-call "fish eye" effect which is one of the most undesireable finding when repainting or shifting to other products. My2c.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post

Im aware of your silicone fish-eye problem, thats why i use the CRC brand. It does not do that.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: