Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Got the car fired up and drove it, it still leaks oil...

Car is very scary, even trying to drive it careful was very difficult for me. I am sure i will get used to in time, but feel i need a few more gears.
I had a hard time looking at the gauges and when i was i didn't like what i saw, I was boosting way higher than what i should of been since i set it lower for the break in.
I couldn't hear the BOV let go either. Everything is hooked up the way it always has been, and double checking it i find nothing in the wrong order. I will turn back my MBC further to see if that helps things.
I was at 14lbs in a snap. Not sure of the A/R's but when i did look they were on the leaner side of my comfort zone.
The BAD news now, engine is leaking oil from the same areas as it was before, this sucks so bad, the shop has wasted so much time getting the engine built the first time and the second time now, i have waited over a year and a half for this engine to
get built right and it looks like i am back to square one. I could drive it sparingly for awhile and mop it up after every drive, or i pull the engine save some money and ship it out to Henry at Supertec to fix right and hope i get it back to enjoy the Fall season.

Anyhow it was fun driving the car but am very disappointed with the shop guys right now.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don't know what's been done to your engine, as for the boost issue, my guess would be that you have a ign. timing issue (possible distributor issue), Just a wag on this one. Need more info. Re the leaks, if its been done twice by the same shop, with the same results, time to change?
B
Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Chap, Congrats on getting the car at least running !! Where the oil is coming from, and what was documented by the clowns at that so-called shop? (Are these the same guys couldnt even diagnose the dizzy being off one tooth?) Sound like they may not have even touched your engine. F@#$ i would be so pissed i would cancel all my credit card payments to them immediately. However, I wouldnt freak and send to Henry until you methodically determine the source of the oil leak is something truly serious such as a barrel gasket or rocker arm seal.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Most of the leaking is coming from the base of the cylinder gasket on and case around #1 and #3, and a little from the heads. The amount of oil leaking is getting the side of the case wet but the dripping isn't full time dripping but would make a mess of the under carriage if driven around for awhile.

I screwed the MBC in a few turns and will see what happens, i may set my boost retard up a bit as a precaution.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just got back from driving the car for about 45minutes, the leaking appears to come from someplace higher than the cylinder base gaskets, before the base gaskets leaked all the time even when sitting. I dont think they are leaking from there like before, the engine wasn't terribly oily but was still wet but it didn't take much to clean up.

A/R's look good now, Boost wastegate was letting go as it should the BOV was letting go as it should. i did dial back the timing with the boost retard but the car was dragging so i put it back to 0 again. It is very hard to keep the RPM's down the below 5000 when the boost hits, i was able to keep things around 4000 most of the time going up and down the RPM scale pulled a few times over 5 and once it jumped to 6400, i couldn't stop it.
The car was running on the hot side most of the time, it sat around 240 and would come down to 210 but the boost was heating things up as i was accelerating and coasting on and off the whole time. I am waiting for my front oil-cooler fans and the temp today is around 90 so i dont think i am going to worry to much about it at this time.

I am having fun, but these first outings are always nerve wracking worrying about everything

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=iamchappy;4095634]I just got back from driving the car for about 45minutes, the leaking appears to come from someplace higher than the cylinder base gaskets, before the base gaskets leaked all the time even when sitting. I dont think they are leaking from there like before, the engine wasn't terribly oily but was still wet but it didn't take much to clean up.

I would guess leaking from the main case through bolts.. (not good) they probably squeezed the o rings to tight or they tore

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

[QUOTE=mb911;4095792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
I just got back from driving the car for about 45minutes, the leaking appears to come from someplace higher than the cylinder base gaskets, before the base gaskets leaked all the time even when sitting. I dont think they are leaking from there like before, the engine wasn't terribly oily but was still wet but it didn't take much to clean up.

I would guess leaking from the main case through bolts.. (not good) they probably squeezed the o rings to tight or they tore
What I was thinking too! I used the nice green Vitton through bolt o-rings, lubed with a Dow Corning product. The blue o-rings that come in the typical Reinz gasket kit are easily torn/ripped. You should be able to inspect the case through bolts by removing the left and right air duct covers and/or the fan housing.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Im putting some good break in miles on the engine now, when i drop the engine to adjust the valves i am going to look it over really good.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: