Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Non User

Garage
Chalk one up for the whale tail guys...

Look what's going to auction soon... the text is from the auction company and is typically embelished, so don't get too hung up on the some of the stats, and the price at the end is the auctioneer's estimate. I would bet this car goes for more based upon the crazy prices McQueens stuff got earlier this year.

enjoy...

The Porsche 930

In 1976, Porsche unveiled what was to be the first 911 Turbo, internally known as the 930. Their success in racing at the time had been achieved with turbocharged engines, and for the first time, Porsche applied this racing technology to a production road car. When introduced, the Turbo Carrera garnered much attention, not only for its thrilling performance, but also for its avant garde styling, which included wide fender flares and a distinctive rear spoiler.
This Car

This 1976 Porsche Turbo is an extremely rare car, being one of only 400 originally imported to the United States. However, this particular car has the more important distinction of being specially ordered for, and originally owned by, film and racing star Steve McQueen. By that time, the “King of Cool” had already owned, driven and raced several Porsches, including a Speedster, a 917 and several 911s, and his affinity for the German marque was well known. McQueen ordered his Turbo in Slate Gray, the color of the 911S he drove during the filming of “LeMans” and a personal favorite. McQueen’s son Chad recalls his father’s time with the car saying fondly, “That car really hauled.” A family friend, Dean Martin Jr., was equally enthralled by the 930 and continually pursued McQueen to sell him the car. Finally, in 1978, Steve succumbed, selling his Turbo to Dean Jr. and his fiancée, Dorothy Hamill. This important Porsche was featured in the November 2007 Porsche Panorama article “Steve McQueen Porschephile” and in the recent book McQueen’s Machines by Matt Stone, in which Chad McQueen tells the story of his father coming home from a trip a day early and catching him driving the Turbo. While Steve wasn’t too upset by his son “practicing his shifting techniques down the neighborhood streets,” he nonetheless sent Chad to his room to think about his actions behind the wheel of what was, at the time, a true supercar capable of staggering performance. Barbara “Barbie” McQueen, Steve McQueen’s wife, remembers the gray car well, as it was the car that Steve owned when they were first married and kept in his special storage at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Barbie recalls one evening, in particular, riding with Steve in the car, “He loved driving the car fast. He scared the hell out of me powering through turns driving through Beverly Hills in the rain.” Barbie also recalls borrowing the car for one of her many modeling jobs in San Francisco. She drove the car up the California Coast; being aware of its brute power, she didn’t get on it too hard. “Steve had made lodging arrangements for both me and the Porsche on this trip!” “Steve was very proud of his car, which Porche built ‘special order’ to his exact specification and finished in this unique gray color.” A full restoration was completed in 1995, and McQueen’s Turbo remains in outstanding mechanical and cosmetic condition. As when new, the car features a limited slip differential, the original 15-inch Fuchs wheels and period-correct Pirelli tires, as well as the beautiful Slate Gray paintwork and a sunroof. Ironically, McQueen also fitted a switch on the dashboard that disabled the tail and brake lights so as to reduce the chance of detection by the police. The original matching-numbers engine is still in the car and all of these components are fully supported by a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity. Steve McQueen is widely regarded as an important automotive enthusiast, and it is often said that he was first and foremost a race car driver, who used his on-screen talent to support his racing ambitions and automotive enthusiasm. This 1976 Porsche 930 is one of only three examples of a McQueen Porsche 911, and this could very well be the only one ever offered for sale to the public, making this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire an important piece of McQueen and Porsche history. This is a well-known and beautifully restored car that will continue to impress wherever it is seen.

Formerly The Property Of Steve McQueen

1976 Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera

Chassis No. 9306800408

Engine No. 6860413

Featured In The Matt Stone Book McQueen’s Machines
Beautifully Restored While Retaining Its Original Specifications
A Rare And Exciting Opportunity To Own An Enviable McQueen Car
Matching Numbers
2,993 CC Turbocharged Flat-Six-Cylinder Engine
Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection
234 HP At 5,500 RPM
4-Speed Manual Transmission
MacPherson Strut Front Suspension
Semi-Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

$125,000 - $175,000

-McQueen’s last Porsche
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 08-02-2008, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Which Auction?. Now all the auction goers will find out that the 930 is considered a true super car by one of top important people that originally owned them. In as much as they really are, and folks who with the other "fast cars " with twice the displacement when on track have a good race on their hands. Regular 930s could be much more desirable once the word gets out. I presume most people on this forum already got theirs, if not get busy before someone gets your lunch. Most & best selection is before the masses catch on. Just look at 911s RS RSR 934 935 prices not to mention the established rises in the F cars 300SL Aston's etc,etc and other hot flavors in the recent past. I hope it breaks the bank as the 911s of his supposedly broke into 7 figures and given the choice of either car to own and drive, hands down the 930, even more desirable ( to me ) if it had some nice factory engineered performance upgrades
Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Its the Gooding & Company auction at Pebble Beach Aug 16 & 17. I agree with your comments and I too am hoping that a sale like this will thrust the 930 to it's appropriate place along side the RS. Even the leading auction magazines have wondered when the 75-76 930 would start its appreciation. I for one will be keeping a close eye on this one.
'75 914 GT clone project
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The stuff I've read from Porsche is the 930 was to supersede the RSR as the top performing model for international competition as the non turbo models had reached their output limits. During the 930 project homolegation the rules were changed ( as many competitors remembered the total annihilation done to them with the Porsche Turbos in the early 70s) so then after everyone had gone home with their marbles it was detuned and sold as a production car. Nonetheless it originally was developed as a super car,and now remains as the ( somewhat tamed for retail ) mass produced super car. It is still a formidable challenge when returned to its original state of design. The line of distinction is, that most fast production cars are turned into factory hot rods after production, the 930 project began as a all out race car ( along with the 934 and 935 development, similar to the RS relationship to the RSR ) and can be returned that way even faster with todays ( 30 years later ) improvements in technology. Many on this board benefit from the awesome upside potential of the 930 and do the upgrades to the dismay of the other performance seekers. And on track they can really perform with a minimal investment in development as that part was already worked out by the factory many years ago. It should be accepted as one of the most coveted of performance and useable sports cars based on many factors.

Last edited by voitureltd; 08-06-2008 at 01:11 PM..
Old 08-05-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Gooding & Co Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Any updates on what this went for? I can't seem to find it.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Update on McQueen's 930 sale

Well, I'm a little surprised, but the McQueen 930 hammered down for a cool $137K.

Here is a link with some info, but not much...

http://getkempt.com/speed-freak/mcqueens-machine.php

the original estimate was $125K-$175K all in all good, towards the middle of the estimate. I know there were several cars that were worth big money but did not achieve the estimates. Again, it was the Italian sports cars that tipped the scales.
'75 914 GT clone project
Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Selling for four times a regular 930 seems right as his others were well beyond most budgets. The air gets a little thinner when when bidding on Ferrari 250 or Jaguar XKSS comes to market with regular prices near 7 figures. Also telling that his favorite driver in his later years,after having many others, was a 930. If his evaluation of what was neat to drive and what his choice of car to use was the only price consideration, then someone got a real deal when paying only 10 % or so of what some of his others sold for.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Now all the auction goers will find out that the 930 is considered a true super car by one of top important people that originally owned them. In as much as they really are, and folks who with the other "fast cars " with twice the displacement when on track have a good race on their hands. Regular 930s could be much more desirable once the word gets out. I presume most people on this forum already got theirs, if not get busy before someone gets your lunch. Most & best selection is before the masses catch on. Just look at 911s RS RSR 934 935 prices not to mention the established rises in the F cars 300SL Aston's etc,etc and other hot flavors in the recent past. I hope it breaks the bank as the 911s of his supposedly broke into 7 figures and given the choice of either car to own and drive, hands down the 930, even more desirable ( to me ) if it had some nice factory engineered performance upgrades

The things that make a car valuable are:
(1) low production numbers
(2) technically interesting
(3) high initial price
(4) famous previous owner(s)
Apparently someone was a big McQueen fan and overpaid for his car. That single data point doesn't signal the beginning of a big price run-up on Turbos. The Turbo will never be worth the price of a Enzo-era V-12 Ferrari because of point (1).
There were relatively few RS', RSR's and 934's built. From 1978 until 1989 there were approximately 18,000 Turbo's built for the worldwide market. When the economy's bad Turbo prices drop as people can't afford the high maintenance costs or just need to liquidate.
Also keep in mind that A 911 isn't all that flashy of a car when compared to a Ferrari or Lamborghini. People either love them or hate them. Turbos' will never have the mass appeal of an Italian exotic.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm aware of your perspective having been through many market swings over the past 45 years of exotic car ownership. People pay lots for autographed things too. Not my point. A 930 that morphed into 934 935, well set up as originally developed over 30 years ago, will do well on track against most current super cars. That they made 18000 of them is good as more can enjoy. The 930 is a super car for the masses when returned to the original development. The fact that they are still affordable is good. That way I can afford to keep more and others that appreciate them for what they are can deservedly have the pleasure of ownership to use as a great driving machine, not just chattel. The 930 is really something else. The definition of desireable is being put forth by some that may have a different opinion than mine. Price appreciation concerns are only part of the equation. Just my 2 cents worth. I do not get to excited when the other exotics make noises as I know what they are really capable of. I spend lots of time at the road race tracks. Bottom line is unless you can really put up some big bucks a 930 will do just fine. That the uninformed of 930 ownership advantages who do not realize or care is not my mission.

Last edited by voitureltd; 08-20-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
The things that make a car valuable are:
(1) low production numbers
(2) technically interesting
(3) high initial price
(4) famous previous owner(s)
Apparently someone was a big McQueen fan and overpaid for his car. That single data point doesn't signal the beginning of a big price run-up on Turbos. The Turbo will never be worth the price of a Enzo-era V-12 Ferrari because of point (1).
There were relatively few RS', RSR's and 934's built. From 1978 until 1989 there were approximately 18,000 Turbo's built for the worldwide market. When the economy's bad Turbo prices drop as people can't afford the high maintenance costs or just need to liquidate.
Also keep in mind that A 911 isn't all that flashy of a car when compared to a Ferrari or Lamborghini. People either love them or hate them. Turbos' will never have the mass appeal of an Italian exotic.
The points you spell out are only a fraction of the value equation. I agree that someone paid a premium for a car owned by a famous porsche afficionado, but we are also not talking millions - do I think any mainstream (non racing) porsche production car will ever achive the 1 million mark? Most definately not in our or our kids lifetime, but in my opinion values for first generation turbos (75-77 under 3000 units produced) should see a turning point in the near future. Things like this sale force this car into the collector limelight which is what we were talking about.

Not all collector cars have been low production cars or even technically interesting (or at least moreso than the 930), look at the current muscle car market, a 63 split window corvette with over 10,500 units produced in one year has a market value around $60-$70K many have traded for much higher. You can take any muscle car from the mid 60's to the early 70's and see huge production #'s, and built cheaply and affordable, yet values continue to increase. Muscle cars have become valueable because there is a large contingecy of the people who actually had one (or wanted one) back in the day, now they have disposible incomes and they are reliving the golden years. At some point the guys who had the 930 poster up on their walls next to the countach poster will begin to drive the demand and push the values up.

Enough of my .02, we just need to see more of these...
'75 914 GT clone project
Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rising values are nice when you are ready to sell. Some of the down sides are, if worth to much, they get stored away for fear of damage, miles added etc, or get into the hands of bean counter's portfolios. The 930's price when compared to other great cars is still very low. Enjoying them regularly, in whatever configuration you have yours in, and not placing to much emphases on what they may be worth some day, is for me. The fact that Steve McQueen thought so highly of his 930 may cause others to put aside what they may have read or heard,and actually spend some time in one.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I too read about the 911's bad handling due to the rear engine, I was left thinking maybe I don't want one afterall.
What a load of BS. I've driven my 911 on ice and it was great, a challenge of course, but great.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I agree, Lots of articles written in the early days when Porsche was breaking new ground. They used their comparisons from the old stuff and could not evaluate the advantages as they only tested from a biased prospective ( to put it kindly). I guess it goes without saying Porsche's success record on the international race tracks over the decades says it all. . Like they say, the BS stops when the flag drops. Compared to others, Porsche has been there for the pro and amature alike, as few if any of the others.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I too read about the 911's bad handling due to the rear engine, I was left thinking maybe I don't want one afterall.
In the hands of idiots,,, anything can happen.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 08-23-2008 at 04:20 PM..
Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Yes, and also to be fair the inexperienced.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: