Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
high oil temps

I just got back from a DE at the Glen and was experiencing high oil temps than I like to see. My car is a 79 930 with the Carrera style oil cooler in the front fender and the thermostat fan controller coming on at 210 degrees.
After 4 laps I was up at 250 degree on the gage with the fan running continuously.
I even ran one of those fiberglass scoops in place of the front turn signal lens to get more air in there as well as removing the front headlight and cutting holes in the headlight bucket.
I really am trying to avoid running a central mount cooler as I don't wanna loose the lower spoiler and start adding fiberglass and paint costs to my problem.
Now my thoughts were to run some sort of water mist system to the front cooler supplied off the windshield washer reservoir.
I figure I could run water thru hoses in the trunk thru the fender and have some nozzles aimed to spray a mist on the cooler surface.
Anyone ever try this and how much reduction in temperature did they see?
Am I overlooking anything?

I know Subaru has a similar water mist sytem for the turbo intercooler on the STi but don't know how well it works.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I doubt spraying mist "occasionally" will help much. If its continuous, you better have a gigantic water bottle.

Not sure if it can/had been done, but how much another cooler on the driver side if you don't want a large center mounted one?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a neat idea...

Most of the really good systems like that utilize fairly high pressure for good atomization.

You may think twice before fitting a high pressure water system in front of your right front tire on a track car... Just a thought, if it works well, it's probably worth it the risk

Of course check all your oil lines for any hard dents from a stray jack that would hinder flow...Small impressions really make no difference

The fender scoop probably works but be careful when trying to get extra air to the cooler 'cause it's real easy to cause a turbulent situation that would make matters worse.

You could also try removing that gray shroud that directs air to your engine mounted cooler. If your engine has any serious time on it your oil cooler could be so guked up it doesn't flow air very well... Maybe a few cans of brake cleaner would lower your oil temp if that's the case.

Last but not least you may consider an oil analysis, as high oil temps can sometimes indicate a pending bottom end failure. Not likely though in this case
Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I went through the same scenario and tried most of the options yuo refer to; at the end, the only way to keep the temps under control at the track was to add a front valance cooler. I felt the same you do about the original look and wanted to maintain the rubber lip also. I took the valance off, installed the cooler (1" clearance between the cooler and hub) and took the valance to a friend of mine body shop to cut and fit - maintaing thr rubber lip. The end result: temps @ 210 max on the track, and cool looking too.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I went through the same scenario and tried most of the options yuo refer to; at the end, the only way to keep the temps under control at the track was to add a front valance cooler. I felt the same you do about the original look and wanted to maintain the rubber lip also. I took the valance off, installed the cooler (1" clearance between the cooler and hub) and took the valance to a friend of mine body shop to cut and fit - maintaing thr rubber lip. The end result: temps @ 210 max on the track, and cool looking too.
That sounds like a good idea. Can you post some pictures of what yours looks like so I can see the end result.
I need to do something as I don;t like running high temps liek this and have some free time the end of the summer to start making the changes.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm with you, I like the original valance and rubber lip.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Porsche-Poor

Garage
I also have a front mounted oil cooler, ran the snot out of my turbo couple months ago and temps never got above the mid-way point, was surprised actually
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Miguel, tidy install!

+1 for a FMOC. Factory used it on the 930 S and the race cars, Ruf used it. You gotta figure those guys did the math.

Only time I've ever seen oil temp over 210 is sitting in heavy traffic (no Carrera fan here) or boosting with high ambients (with 105 ambient, it ran @ 210 at 60-65 anyway)..
Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

remove your fog lamp on the passenger side to allow air directly to the cooler in the fender well. you may want to fab a scoop behind the valance where the retangular hole will be to focus the air stream. closing off the bottom of that space (opening to the ground) may also mitigate turbulence and hot pavement air from mixing with your 'ram air' cooling option.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: