Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tach signal

On a 965 where would the best place to pick up the tach signal? At the + side of coil or the black/violet stripe wire in wire harness @ the EZ 69 thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Be careful doing that, a chap here in the UK messed up his EZ69 installing a Zeitronix trying to get a signal. Hold out for the right answer.

Try contacting Miles965 via email. Replacing my ignition from my 3.6T & EFi help
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 08-09-2008 at 01:21 AM..
Old 08-09-2008, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I put my Zeitronics under the drivers seat .

I found the tach source under the drivers seat, it's inside a contact with 6 wires, this contact is to the left of the ECU. The wire is black/green
Old 08-09-2008, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wouldn't the + terminal @ the ing. coil be a safe place to pick up a signal?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

DO NOT use the + side of coil for tach signal

if you have a Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI, Bosch box, other). Do not use the + terminal for a dwell meter, or a voltmeter, or anything, while the car is running, EVER EVER EVER! There is a Tach output from the CDI box.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks speedy squirrel , I am going to the Black/green tach signal under the drivers seat.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Prehaps memebrs on this thread can assit, as I have a related issue-I have a turbo 3 litre, 1977 with 8 pin CDI box.

Seems the unit is not getting a live feed, I am struggling to see where the live feed comes from, is it from the fuel pump relays in the front, or the panel on the left rear, if so, which relay controls it?

I heard the so called safety relay and or over boost relay controls the power to the CDI- is this were I need to look, if so, what do these component s look like?

I did have an issue with the cable going to the boost sensor on the inlet manifold, it got mixed up with the one that goes ( I am told) to the over-boost sensor, and at the same time I had a boost guage failure, the guage goes off scale full boost as soon as ignition comes on.

I have had this CDI intermittent problem in the past, but it always rectified itself, but do not like an intermittent fault that can come back at an in opportune moment!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
There is certainly a small relay to the left of the CDI that has a time delay so that the ignition stays powered for several seconds to burn all fuel in the engine. The fuel pumps cut off straight away.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 08-12-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: