Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
How did you mount the fan to front oil cooler in wheel with photo's please?!?!?

Hello,

I have been wanting to tackle this because I have had trouble with heat here in the desert summer climate while I'm not moving.

The challenge: How did you mount your fan onto the front (Carrera style) oil cooler in the passenger side wheel well and how is it wired (toggle switch, existing thermostat or did you add a thermostat)?

Also, what fan did you use and where can you buy?

I would like the following:
- Pictures of anything the fan, fan install, wiring, or thermostat.
- Links to where the fan can be purchased and for how much
- Directions on how to install (Do I have to remove horn entirely or just for the install, etc.)

The reason for my request is that I have received several pieces of advice on what fans to buy but the sizes and brands seem to vary greatly. When looking for posts there is never enough information on "how to" complete the job and what they had to do in order to arrive at that outcome or decision. I am always left without all the information that I would like before tackling the job.

This forum has been great for me and I have added/helped anytime I can but really need some help on this one. If there is a thread that I may have missed, please plug it into this thread for me.

Here is a picture of the car.

Lastly, I do not want to add an additional cooler and will never track this car except for an occasional DE event so I would like to work with what I've got.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My fan sits in front of the cooler - towards the bumper. Can't be much more specific - except it has a sensor type plug of some sort in top of cooler from memory. Hard to get a pic of. Had it out about 2 mths ago.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

I'd find the exact size of the OE Carrera fan, find a similar unit made by SPAL (leagues ahead in quality compared to the OE Carrera fan), and wire it to a toggle in the cocka-pit.

I have 3 oil coolers in my 930 and yes it is (was) unnerving to see the temps climb to 250 in 95 degrees on I-5 - when stopped in heavy traffic.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
'89 930

I would try to contact Chuck Mooreland at Elephant Racing. He was a wealth of information and had the parts I needed. He also has a thermostat that kicks on the fan at a lower than stock temperature. If I remember correctly, stock kicked on to high, something like 230 or 240 and this one kicks on some 20 to 30 degress cooler. Chuck is very responsive to email and often available by phone.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Bryan,
I used a 6.5 or 7'' SPAL fan (about 600 cfm if I recall), made some custom tabs to mount to the front of the cooler. You will need to re-position the horns, or replace with smaller units, I made a bracket to reposition the original horns which gave enough room to mount the fan. Not a difficult job.
I also made a shroud to channel air so it doesn't exit below the cooler. Wired it to a lighted switch on the dash for manual operation, no thermostat. Worked pretty well, and helped in slow traffic.
Unfortunately, it got destroyed when I crashed, so don't have any pics.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

+1

for Elephant Racing......sorry I don't have pics, but I ripped out the brass row cooler in my 83 930.

Installed Elephant Racing 'finned' oil lines, Carrera widemouth cooler and high speed fan, with thermostat that is adjustable for I believe 3 different temperatures.

Prior to install, I had seen almost 250 degrees one day, and it freaked me out. Since install, I don't think I have ever gone over 210......money well spent for me.

And yes, Chuck was SUPREMELY helpful, and shipped up everything I needed for my project.

Good luck!

Mark
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thanks

I appreciate all of the feedback. You will not believe this, but I didn't even know that I already had a fan. Man, just when I think I'm hitting on something important, I realize I'm just stupid. Man, maybe I should trade my custom "dog" built truck for a moped that gets 70 mpg and totally redeem myself (Dumb & Dumber).

I think the easiest thing to do would be to replace with a thermostat that opens at cooler temperatures. How do you access the thermostat?

Anyways, does anyone have part numbers for these products and where to buy? I noticed Elephant Racing and I will see where they are located.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Chuck at Elephant is very knowledgeable.
I used a Derayle thermostatic switch ...go to their website and see what they offer. Mine is adjustable to different temp settings. The hardest part is mounting a good probe in the cooler to send the signal to the unit. I had to custom make a fitting that converts from metric threads in the Carerra cooler to 1/8 NPT for the sensor. Major PITA.
Still not enuff cooling for track work.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 08-13-2008 at 04:38 PM..
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage

Cooler and shrouding.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Question

Fredmeister, Can you access the thermostat without removing the cooler or the lines? I will call Elephant racing tomorrow.

Also, at what temperature does the stock/oem thermostat turn on the fan?

Thanks for the help,
Bryan
Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Yes, the thermostat is remote mounted inside the front trunk. It is just a relay with an adjustment pot or screw on it to set the temp it activates the fan.
I did not take any pix of the thermostat or the custom fitting or I would have shown you.
Basically you run the power wires to the fan and the wire from the thermostat unit thru one of the available holes for the headlight wires in the fender. You will see a few opening with grommets when you pull back the trunk carpet.
I never had a stock Carerra cooler but that crappy trombone coil that Porsche lamely installed in the early turbos. All this hardware was bought new. But I found elephant very well engineered when you do the research.
Glad I could help.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Solution... for now

I wired in a toggle switch for the time being and saved the original plug if I want to go back and add another (cooler) thermostat.

This will allow me to operate the fan earlier than when the it would normally kick on.

Thanks for all the help.

Bryan
Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: