Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Did you try blocking off the muffler first?
No but I've re-assembled and am resonably confident it wasn't the problem .. a bit embarrassing here but the pic I took was without the seperate flange,, when that is added and is tightened down ( when installed) that it is sealed.. Sooo back to the original non-boost issue..

I am able to get 0.4 bar out of it BUT it's black smoke and breaking up, pig rich.. so I"m back to chasing a vacuum leak somewhere I suspect..
Todd

91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
black smoke and breaking up, pig rich
This is very telling. You are either getting too much gas, not enough spark or not enough air which is drowning the plugs.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
This is very telling. You are either getting too much gas, not enough spark or not enough air which is drowning the plugs.
Bryan, I've checked the fuel pressure and WUR and it's fine.. I'm thinking vacuum leak somewhere.. How would I check the integrity of the spark ?? It fires right up and idles fine.
Here's another bit of info.. there's some oil around the bottom of the turbo,, not sure where it's coming from .. Could it be the turbo causing these problems ??
Todd

Last edited by 9dreizig; 08-17-2008 at 12:20 PM..
Old 08-17-2008, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Dude, you have a boost leak. Everyone was telling you that from the start but you were out blaming wastegate

You turbo draws in lot's of air but it then leaks out. But fuel gets injected. That's why it goes rich. Leak this big easily overspeed the turbo as well, so you better find it quick.

Check you intercooler O-rings and phenolic intake spacers for cracks.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Wastegate valve must be very leaky in order to significantly affect boost. I'm not sur that little leak on picture is enough.

I believe your main problem is leak somewhere between engine and turbo. Intercooler O-rings, phenolic intake spacers etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Bryan, I've checked the fuel pressure and WUR and it's fine.. I'm thinking vacuum leak somewhere.. How would I check the integrity of the spark ?? It fires right up and idles fine.
Here's another bit of info.. there's some oil around the bottom of the turbo,, not sure where it's coming from .. Could it be the turbo causing these problems ??
Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Dude, you have a boost leak. Everyone was telling you that from the start but you were out blaming wastegate

You turbo draws in lot's of air but it then leaks out. But fuel gets injected. That's why it goes rich. Leak this big easily overspeed the turbo as well, so you better find it quick.

Check you intercooler O-rings and phenolic intake spacers for cracks.

Don't forget to lift off the metal up-pipe from turbo to intercooler and check that o-ring (I'm sure Goran means that one too, just helping to spell it out: b-o-o-s-t-l-e-a-k

Perhaps your boost leak, oil leak, and pending death of your turbocharger will be right there. Good luck
Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I used to have this problem on a 930 with a Andial intercooler. The stock pipe is modified to fit the intercooler and uses a blue intercooler high pressure hose that is clamped to the original solid pipe. Put in a new seal between the pipe to intercooler. Then drill and tap a hole in the pipe for the installation of a set screw. Under high boost the pipe can move down and the red o ring seal can bulge out ( usually in the back where you can't easily see the bulge )and create a pressure loss.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Don't forget the o-ring at the bottom,
It's where the blue hose is on the picture above.

If you have access to compressed air, you should rig up an intake leak tester...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I've gone native

Read this old thread, I'm having a similar problem.
Recently did the k27, primed on install, etc. First week, pulled strong. Now pulls 1.0 bar but the power is way down.
Could the wg diaphram be shot? Turbo shot already(not primed enough)?
tia
c
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Tt, with mine it turned out to be the intake had a number of loose nuts holding it down, so the leaks were multiple ..
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Make sure your stock wastegate is rebuildable, mine had a crack in the body, among other things. I pulled the trigger on a Tial, couldn't be happier. The stock WG is a good piece but it's also 25+ years old with lots of heat cycles.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
Make sure your stock wastegate is rebuildable, mine had a crack in the body, among other things. I pulled the trigger on a Tial, couldn't be happier. The stock WG is a good piece but it's also 25+ years old with lots of heat cycles.
This is a good point and really, the stock wastegate should be taken apart and checked before new parts are bought. The "lip" on the body, bell housing side, that holds the diaphram in position, on mine, was corroded away about half way around . . . somewhat of a threadjack, I guess.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
I've gone native

Good point. I'm gonna pull off the WG and look it over tonight.
I assume if I didn't prime the new k 27 enough and it was seizing, there would be other symptoms?
Just thinking of all the possibilities.
c
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Banned

There really is no such thing as "priming" the turbo other than making sure oil is flowing through it before initial startup . . . also, if the turbo was seizing, you would hear hellacious noise coming from it (screeching/howling and the like), and the overheated seals would be throwing oil.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-08-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
I've gone native

Makes sense. Thanx
Do you think my issue could be WG related given the fact it hits full boost?
tia
c
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not sure about that . . . I believe that if the diaphram was torn you would overboost and if the valve guide was leaking too much air you would not get enough boost. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have will chime in.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-08-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Now pulls 1.0 bar but the power is way down.
If it pulls and holds 1bar the wastegate is doing it's job. It's springtime are you getting heat soak? That can cost you 50 horse. If not check your state of tune.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
I've gone native

I don't think it's heat soak, I have a big Andial IC and it's cool to touch all the time.
If the wg diaphram is torn wouldn't it still boost but leak like crazy/losing hp?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Torn diaphragm would allow you to over boost.
As said, if your turbo can make and your waste gate can maintain 1 bar, you have other issues.
WUR pressures or maybe distributor is not advancing?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
I've gone native

hard to tell if it's over boosting w the stock gauge pegged at 1 bar, I checked everything except the wg so far.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
But if it was overboosting, you wouldn't be complaining about low power.
And theoretically, your overboost kill switch would eventually go off, and you would know when it did because the car would fall on it's face.
I have a WG you can borrow.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: