Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Mods effecting re-sale

Not that I can imagine ever selling my near bone-stock 930 but there's a few things I'd like to do but wondering what you guys think will effect the re-sale....

Dump the air pump and all that other crap I don't understand

New Exhaust

aluminum injector spacers

digital WUR

I would of course keep everything to be re-mounted that's practical.. but wondered what you guys think of the effect on the resale minor mod improvements make....
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-17-2008, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Depends on the buyer.
I'd stay out of the engine for resale, using only bolt-ons that can be changed back. No in-the-cockpit boost controllers.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Depends on the buyer.
I'd stay out of the engine for resale, using only bolt-ons that can be changed back. No in-the-cockpit boost controllers.
I'd agree.

Customization rarely pays back at resale... all of my "mods" can be unbolted by the buyer and replaced with OEM (although I don't plan on selling).

In the long run, a well-kept perfectly stock car will be worth the most. It will also appeal to the largest audience (for resale).

- Mike
Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Resale value decreases with the square of horsepower increase. If you change the exhaust do something simple that can be reversed with ease such as a Zork or Rarlyl8 single exit exhasut.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

When or if I plan to ever sell my whore, the ad will be a picture of my modified 930, just the way it is, with all of the OEM factory parts that I've removed...spread out in the picture around the car. If I don't get what I'm asking, for the whole shootin' match, I'll start putting the stock parts back on, and sell the mods on the used market. Everything that I've done to my car was done in the name of increasing dependability and driving pleasure.

IMHO, the secret is not to find yourself in the throws of a "fire sale", in which you're at the mercy of the buyer. Keep impeccable records, write a nice advertisement with good pictures, price the car right, and you'll find an ass for the seat...PERIOD

I can be a real d_ck when some schmuck shows up to negotiate me down, beacuse I removed some worthless bits of metal that Porsche called A/C!!!! But hey, if you really must have them Mr. Pussy-always-wanted-a-Porsh-turbo, I've got them for ya right here in this box!

Dang, I need a drink...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 08-18-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I removed some worthless bits of metal that Porsche called A/C!!!! But hey, if you really must have them Mr. Pussy-always-wanted-a-Porsh-turbo, I've got them for ya right here in this box!

Dang, I need a drink...
Yeah, When I was younger, the AC was the first thing to go in my 911's, in an attempt to loose weight. This is the first one I've owned that I kept the AC. If I need the extra hp i turn it off. The added weight really does not make that much of a difference to me.

Just allows me to drive it more!!!! (At the last minute I decided I wanted to drive it to church yesterday, a 50 mile round trip, would not have done that without AC)

Usually though, it windows down and S/R open!!!

Last edited by timc; 08-18-2008 at 09:51 AM..
Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I have the trac dog to eaze my HP addiction, I'm just thinking some "niceties" for the black "date car" ,, such as dump the air pump,, maybe a new exhaust, dump the cat.. etc..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I agonized over this issue for some time...then went thru Brian and Ben and had him put together an exhaust system for me using the SSI and his Y pipe design....and sticking with his recommendation to do only a "bolt on" application...also following Timc and SandMan's approach to a resale...."Here's the car with all the performance enhancing stuff....and here's the box with all the original stuff....you can buy it this way or I'll put it back and sell the goodies". Whereas I realize that the value of a factory slant being 1 of 47 is in its stock and unmolested configuration, the enhanced performance and driving experience....plus the addicting desire to "kick it up a bit" was just too overpowering...not to mention the fact that the process of buying and installing high end mods like Brian's exhausts, SSI...Tial wastegate and new intercooler etc....that process is almost therapeutic. The purists will holler "shame"....but I'm losing my sense of hearing anyway.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I always wanted to see how a "lightly" modded 930 (Full exhaust, I/C, K-27) with EFI would do selling. I'm not talking about an ultimate horsepower beast, just light mods with Engine management. That would likely sell to a 930 enthusiast, but I wonder if it would help the price at all seeing as most of it is stock and can retain: heating, A/C, and emissions controls(Cali).
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I would be similarly interested....except that I dont' have the EFI....it would seem that the folks just getting into the fancy would go for the totally stock variety becasue it's pure Porsche...whereas those who might have been around for a while and particpated in the forum discussions on the best bolt on applications ....and have actually done the well designed modifications....those folks would appreciate a well put together and lightly modded car. We're not talking Barrett Jackson here...so it's not the collector market we're talking about.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: