Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Manassas, VA

Garage
Blown Wastegate Diaphram

Fellow Turbo Wrenchers,
I opened my stock 964 turbo wastegate and found what is depicted in the picture below. Possibly an improper installation?

I think the diaphram is trashed because when I pull it back into shape, I can see light through the creasing.

No wonder my boost never seemed to taper off...

I cannot find a P/N for the diaphram. Anyone know what it is? Better yet, does anyone have one that I can buy? If you have an aftermarket WG (TiAL) maybe you could donate your old diaphram to a good cause...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
I have a new, never used stock one, as well as an assortment of springs. Shoot me a PM.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Here is a picture of the spring that was in my waste gate. Can anyone identify it? The PO said that he installed a stiffer than stock spring. He was not satisfied so he installed the next stiffer spring.

Could he have gone to 1 bar and then to 1.5 bar?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
The stiffest spring I've ever seen for sale was a 1.2 bar spring. How long is that spring?
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
The sping pictured above measures 6 7/8" overall. I wish I knew where it came from or who made it. The car records show that a 1 bar spring was installed at one point, but the PO told me the current spring was also an upgrade.

It seems very stiff. But I don't have much experience with these waste gates. I would guess it is 1.2 bar.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
It's a 1 bar spring.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Manassas, VA

Garage
911nut,
Thanks for the info on the spring. Now I know I have a 1 bar spring.

There were also two shims at the top of the spring. What would be the effect if I took one of them out? Or both of them? I was thinking about moving one of the shims to the bottom of the spring; I think mechanically it would be the same.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
911nut,
Thanks for the info on the spring. Now I know I have a 1 bar spring.

There were also two shims at the top of the spring. What would be the effect if I took one of them out? Or both of them? I was thinking about moving one of the shims to the bottom of the spring; I think mechanically it would be the same.

Thanks,
Mark

Two extra shims on a 1 bar spring? Hmm...can it be that engine has air leaks and PO was trying to compensate with stiffer spring? I suggest fitting ordinary 0.7 spring, checking for leaks by pressurizing the intake path south of K-Jet first. If you lust for more boost, it's easily adjustable by fitting T-orifice bleed, Dawes device, Electronic boost controller or any other pneumatic device. This will also allow you to lower the boost back to 0.7 should need arise.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The shims are there to make the spring stiffer and create higher boost. What you have to be careful of is the spring binding from too many or too thick of a shim(s).

I'd ditch the shims and use a 1 bar spring if you have the intercooleran, fuel, etc. to support it or get a .7 bar spring and use some sort of boost controller if you have the discipline not to go crazy high with it. I know I don't...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
The shims are there to make the spring stiffer and create higher boost. What you have to be careful of is the spring binding from too many or too thick of a shim(s).
If the shims are real thin (like a spring washer) and look like doughnuts then they go on the top and bottom of the stock spring and there should only be two of them.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
if The Shims Are Real Thin (like A Spring Washer) And Look Like Doughnuts Then They Go On The Top And Bottom Of The Stock Spring And There Should Only Be Two Of Them.
+1
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That is a 1.1 Bar spring from Andial.

I have one in the garage on the shelf if you would like a picture.. (make offer if anyone's interested, never used)

The shims are there to keep the spring from wearing a groove in the aluminum spring housing. Don't ditch them if they are any where near the thickness of your alternator shims.

Anything measurable with a ruler shouldn't be there Especially w/ a 1.1 bar spring

Good luck

Last edited by rsrmike; 08-22-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Old 08-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Mike,
Thanks for the spring ID. That confims the PO's story that he changed the spring twice. The first time it was probably the stock .7 to 1.0 and then to the Andial 1.1 bar spring.

The shims I have are very thin. I measured them at .50mm (.020"). They were both at the top of the spring. Clearly, someone has been in there and placed both shims where I found them.

I can't imagine that they would pre-load the spring very much. I like your explanation that they go on either end of the spring to protect the aluminum spring housing.

I have enclosed a picture of the shims below.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the spring ID. That confims the PO's story that he changed the spring twice. The first time it was probably the stock .7 to 1.0 and then to the Andial 1.1 bar spring.
1.0 to 1.1? Why did he bother with it?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Boost pipe...

Last edited by rsrmike; 08-26-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: It was retarded
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: