Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Does the SC/3.2 use the same springs as the 930?
Yes, they do. The only difference is the additional shims for the desired spring height.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj930 View Post
peak power is at 5,000rpm instead of 5,500rpm..
The factory gives peak HP figure @ 5500, peak torque @ 4200.

My RoW 930 made peak power @ 5,700 with SC cams, 8.0:1 C/R, 3DLZ, stock H/Es, airbox & intercooler, an open wastegate and tailpipe. Peak torque @ 5,200.

Same spec motor, but with K27/HF, GHLs, EVO airbox and a factory Euro muffler (but still an open wastegate) made peak power @ 6,100. Peak torque @ 5,600 RPM.

Bob Watson was the dyno operator for both runs.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Tom, your engine certainly seems to want to rev higher than my stock engine did. It may be the turbo though, not the cam. May also be due to cam timing... Who knows. My car has more mid range punch than yours appears to have - I'm not saying my car has more power, just where it makes it.

Dave, so in effect the 930 compared to the 911 should be able to rev higher in regards to valve bounce/float. Maybe the force/poundage doesn't change much with the different installed lengths?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 09-01-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I'm sure that my car used to rev much higher when it had the original cams (who knows - maybe they weren't standard?), but engine used to be dead below 4,000rpm. Had about 2 engine rebuilds since then, though

Who knows - maybe you were running your CIS leaner? (That would make the mid-range much more responsive and the high-range much bumpier!)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Dave, so in effect the 930 compared to the 911 should be able to rev higher in regards to valve bounce/float. Maybe the force/poundage doesn't change much with the different installed lengths?
More so the latter. It's just added insurance at high revs the springs don't bind, though every little bit helps.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jbailey930 Send a message via Yahoo to jbailey930
With my rebuild SC cams, ti retainers and springs w/ shims - peak HP and torque at 5250 rpm - K27-7200. Also opened up the heads to match Carrera intake/EFI. 5k+ miles 1 year later and running strong.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
I'm sure that my car used to rev much higher when it had the original cams (who knows - maybe they weren't standard?), but engine used to be dead below 4,000rpm. Had about 2 engine rebuilds since then, though

Who knows - maybe you were running your CIS leaner? (That would make the mid-range much more responsive and the high-range much bumpier!)
No idea, When I looked at the spark plugs they seemed fine and I take it the idle CO was set correctly to pass MOT for the previous owner. I've never had it retested due to taking it apart.

This is why I have got an Innovate XD-16 kit ready to fit!

I haven't checked the ignition timing yet either.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:

Cam timing is probably different.
When they are retarded from stock settings you gain top end horsepower and loose low and mid range power. You're moving the powerband higher because it's acting similar to a longer duration cam on the intake side that way.

Advancing the cams from stock setting gives more low end power or torque, and top end power drops.

New cars have variable valve timing to try and get the best of both worlds.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried 964 cams slightly advanced from the stock setting, and how the power curve works out that way compared to SC cams.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: