Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Do I have this right?

You could bolt the engine mount in place, the axles would line up with the transaxle and then you would be left with a trans mount that is offset to where it needs to be? Would it not be cheaper and faster to just fab a trans mount to get you those few inches?
A930Rocket,
Wouldn't there be interference with the transmission shifter tube, seal and linkage?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-07-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I don't know. I'm just trying to picture everything. If the trans is already mounted to the engine and works and all needs to be mounted in the car, it sounded like it was a matter of getting the trans or engine mount to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
A930Rocket,
Wouldn't there be interference with the transmission shifter tube, seal and linkage?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

A930Rocket. I had a hard time to envision this situation also. No the scenario is that with the engine bolted on the mounts ( 911SC and 930 blocks are identical in dimension ) the out put shafts from the trans axle are to far toward the front of the car. With a long or short bell housing 930 trans axle or a stock 915 trans axle as used in a 911SC the two out put shafts are in correct alignment to bolt up the half shafts,CV joints rear wheel hubs when bolted to the stock trans axle mounts. If the motor is bolted up to the original motor mounts the two output shafts are inches to far toward the center of the car. So the only option, apparently, is to use a 915 5 spd trans( to weak ) or a 1977 or earlier 930 4spd trans axle or to have my later trans axle bell housing and input shaft, re machined to its originally developed 930 design. In the 75 76 77 930 which is the same mounting as 911SC. Engine mounting was apparently moved rearward 1 3/4 inches to accommodate the more everyday driver user friendly 1978 clutch design. You will also note that the wheelbase is the same on early 930s but the engine/trans together was longer on 78 and up 930. So the best way to do this ( I suspect ) was for Porsche to move the motor mounts rearward. Otherwise they would have had to lengthen the wheelbase and redesigned the rear fender arches further rear wards or relocate the torsion torque tubes forward. Since it had become a pedestrian street car by now the over steering effect was not much of a consideration as opposed to if it had been continually developed as a all out competition car, as such they would have not needed the extra bell housing length for a chatter proof clutch in the first place. I must also guess that the 78 and later 930s are slightly more tail happy than the earlier ones. Also the reason they raised the rear tire pressure to 3 bar on 78 and later 930 cars.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-08-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-07-2008, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I think you should put the Turbo drivetrain in a SWB early 911

Sounds like it would fit better. It would be an interesting car to drive, though

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

they were originally developed this way from the 911 chassis into a 934 935 from the 930 project in the mid 70s. My car is being built from what was an old 935 look non turbo race car into a twin turbo powered early developement 934.5 car. Just now trying to find the pieces to rebuild it more period correct, and make it work sort of the way it was done back then.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-07-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I take it that when the motor is mounted the nose of the tranny hits the torsion bar housings etc?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I follow you now. Seems the best way and cheapest would be to ship the parts needed to be modified if you can't find a place closer to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
A930Rocket. I had a hard time to envision this situation also. No the scenario is that with the engine bolted on the mounts ( 911SC and 930 blocks are identical in dimension ) the out put shafts from the trans axle are 2 3/4 inches to far toward the front of the car. With a long or short bell housing 930 trans axle or a stock 915 trans axle as used in a 911SC the two out put shafts are in correct alignment to bolt up the half shafts,CV joints rear wheel hubs when bolted to the stock trans axle mounts. If the motor is bolted up to the original motor mounts the two output shafts are 2 3/4 inches to far toward the center of the car. So the only option, apparently, is to use a 915 5 spd trans( to weak ) or a 1977 or earlier 930 4spd trans axle or to have my later trans axle bell housing and input shaft, re machined (2 3/4 shorter) to its originally developed 930 design. In the 75 76 77 930 which is the same mounting as 911SC. Engine mounting was apparently moved rearward 2 3/4 inches to accommodate the more everyday driver user friendly 1978 clutch design. You will also note that the wheelbase is the same on early 930s but the engine/trans together was 2 3/4 inches longer on 78 and up 930. So the best way to do this ( I suspect ) was for Porsche to move the motor mounts rearward. Otherwise they would have had to lengthen the wheelbase and redesigned the rear fender arches further rear wards or relocate the torsion torque tubes forward. Since it had become a pedestrian street car by now the over steering effect was not much of a consideration as opposed to if it had been continually developed as a all out competition car, as such they would have not needed the extra bell housing length for a chatter proof clutch in the first place.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I take it that when the motor is mounted the nose of the tranny hits the torsion bar housings etc?
I could live with that by relocating the torsion tube and use coil overs which is being done. The real problem is the axle output shafts would be to far forward toward the center to be able to attach the half shafts to the rear wheel hubs. In summation of all the information gathered and the solution ( thanks to all for the head scratching ) , is all of the transmissions 915 & 930 have the same dimension from the shift rod to the trans mounts and rearward to the axle output shafts. The difference is the bell housing between the trans and the motor, was lengthened in the 1978 930 and the engine mount was apparently moved rearward that amount. The wheelbase and the exterior dimensions stayed the same. That accounts for, more than likely, the subsequent recommended raise in rear tire pressure spec to 3 bar and also contributes ( slightly ) to the cars reputation of being tail happy. Now we know ,in reverse how and why they at Porsche did it. I had never read in any publication, this explanation, of how to, or what parts to use to return back to the original spec for track use, although it has been done before by others.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-08-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
voitureltd,
If you can get your hands on Volume II of the 911 Turbo Workshop Manual, you'll find the chassis mods the factory performed to get the 930 transmission/engine combo to fit. They provide all the body modifications and metrics for the 930 chassis.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I have the original factory 930 workshop manual with all the revisions to 1989. I never thought of looking there. Does it give the differences in detail between the 911 chassis and the 930 developement from it? Thanks

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-08-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
You'll need the 911 Body Workshop Manual to note the differences since the 930 Body Workshop Manual will only note what's unique to the 930 chassis.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: