Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brake servo conversion 930

I have a 1977 930 turbo, no power booster for brakes. I obtained a unit and wish to install it, and have a few questions. Were there different boosters for RHD and LHD cars? I see the mounting bracket has a slight slant to it. If there is a difference, I assume I can take it up by shimming? My car has the dimple to cater for the vacuum booster, and the metal tube going to the back.

However, looks like the master cylinder extends back into the bunch of wires and ventilation pipes that had cardboard type cover protecting them, removed in photo. I assume I can move the ventilation pipes etc to make space for the MC, although one ventilation pipe look pretty rigid.

I guess the lines to front and rear brakes need to have a hole drilled in the floor of the hood/ bonnet and drop down to the junctions

Any strengthening required under the MC mounting base? Was thinking of making a rectangle of metal and welding it onto around the cutout. The booster I have has a metal rod running down to the pedal, do I need to change pedal box or pedal, or can this rod be linked in using genuine parts and retaining old pedal ( The original MC was right in front of the pedal, bolted onto the bulkhead). Any other input on this welcome- running 993 Turbo fronts, 3.3 turbo rear
Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It may be easier, and cheaper (depending on fabrication) to try one of these setups in the stock location...

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/electrichppage.html

Good luck

Last edited by rsrmike; 09-03-2008 at 07:11 AM..
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

I will be watching this post, I will be going through same problem soon when I go to install 1986 Turbo calipers on my 77 930. Jamie
Old 09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks RSR Mike, looks interesting not only for this project but also for a Studebaker hot rod I am building
Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sure,

It is rumored to work well. The pump/accumulator is strangely similar to the 964/965/993 hydraulic booster setup.

I'm currently installing one in a 944 w/ LS1 chevy power, and it has 993TT up front w four piston rears. I haven't finished but it's pretty neat so far.

You would most definately want a remote reservoir model...
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

No need to shim it. It should mount right to the horizontal portion of the firewall. I would have to look at my car this weekend to see if the sheet metal is stamped with a raised area. The cad plated arm hanging down from the booster should hang down far enough for you to connect the rod to it. You may need to move some wires or hoses to make if work.

The brake lines are routed down through the smugglers box where the fronts Tee off to each side and the rear goes through the firewall into the trans tunnel and out the back to where it Tees off.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Just re-read the post...

You may need to get a later model piece of cardboard to cover up the wires and hoses. There is one duct that is very tight to the booster. You'll have to adjust it or re-route it. No need to add more bracing to the sheetmetal.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: