Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
which choice is best? start with a stock 1980's 930 or a 1980's 930 roller?

Ok, here is a chance for your opinions.

If my goal is to build/buy a 930 and to then get over 350HP on boost, still have reasonable performance off boost, reasonable MPG, reliability and fun...

Would I be better off buying a nice stock 930 and bolting on a performance upgrade (exhaust, turbo, spring, dash gauges, etc.)

or

Would I be better off buying a 930 roller and then building out a nice 3.4L engine with higher than stock compression, then adding the digital WUR, etc. and the exhaust, turbo, spring, etc.

I am assuming I could get a 930 roller for $10k or more less than a nice stock 930, so that would cover a lot of the engine building costs, etc.

My biggest area of internal debate is around the stock 3.3 low compression engine. It seems they are pretty poor performance wise when off boost. So, IU am thinking a higher compression 3.4 or so engine with 2021 or 964 cams would be a better base. Then, adding the turbo on top of that would give me a better DD car and a more fun and competitive DE car.

What do you all think?

I admit these 911/930's are addictive. I have a 1988 911 with a 3.4 NA engine, and now I am looking to figure out how to add a 930 to the garage.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
3.3 compared to 3.4 is very little difference in capacity.
8.0CR seems quite popular and this will also help. Going too high a CR will limit your boost level and therefore your max bhp.

I would say it depends what you can buy or get offered.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, I agree little difference betwee a 3.3 and a 3.4. But I figure if I buy a stock running 930 I'll be less apt to tear the engine apart since it will be in fine running shape.

If I get a project, I figure with the discount on purchase I could then build up an engine that would be more optimized, and use mods others have found to be successful like 3.4 with higher CR, 2021 or 964 cams, digiWUR, different turbo, etc.

I think I'd end up with perhaps a better all around engine with also more HP available. But, I have no direct experience with a stock 930 so am asking to see if perhaps a stock 930 is actually fine for everyday and DE use when combined with some simple bolt on mods (exhaust, turbo, digiWUR).

stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 09-05-2008, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5uewf View Post
I am asking to see if perhaps a stock 930 is actually fine for everyday and DE use when combined with some simple bolt on mods (exhaust, turbo, digiWUR).
In my opinion, the answer is yes. I'm quite please with my '87 and all the bolt-on goodies. Made a tremendous improvement in drivability. I don't track the car...unless you consider the highway or backroads a "track" when safe occasions present themselves.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What color fits your fancy. Like cabs? If you are talking about a car like one that that has been FS at Nort Nortoms in Orlando for a while. Well yes, that car could be it with a top end and your mods. The price tag would have to fit with your preferences though. Looking at some other 930s or reading about them would be a big gamble, and with the price of a complete motor which could reach (well why mention it ; then your significant other would have to know).

How about adding a turbo motor (rebuilding yours adding mods) in your car with a G50?

What a fun DD!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you want a car which is gaurenteed to be a collector's car in the future than now is a good time to get a completely stock car at a good price and if you get a nice one, don't change it much.

On the other hand, if you are like some of us here and can't resist making the car the all out performer that it is capable of, you are just as well off, probably ahead of the game, getting a cheap roller. Starting with just the chassis is fine.

I think you will be fine on either path and this is a great time to buy.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I gotta say it's going to be cheaper and faster to buy a car that's running. You'll end end up with LOT more money in a roller, although you will have the satisfaction of doing it your way from scratch. 350 HP is a no brainer on a 3.3 engine. The right turbo and cams will give you low end power for a DD.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-05-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I thought about adding turbo to my 911, but it is just about perfect now with the 3.4 that is in it, along with the tbar upgrades, etc. It is a hoot.

But I think I'd rather get the brakes, suspension, etc. along with the turbo, so might as well look for a 930. So, now just need to decide on a stock 930 with good PPI, or a solid roller and then build out the power plant.

I see Powerhaus offers a G50 conversion kit for older 930 - anyone ever used one of these upgrades?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My car has a G50/01 in it that I believe came from them (I have the shipping ticket for a tranny from them to the uk) and I love it. It is a lot of work to fit though, shifter and pedal assy also needed.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I gotta say it's going to be cheaper and faster to buy a car that's running. You'll end end up with LOT more money in a roller, although you will have the satisfaction of doing it your way from scratch. 350 HP is a no brainer on a 3.3 engine. The right turbo and cams will give you low end power for a DD.
Listen to this guy and DDDD....TRUST ME...I bought a puuuuuurfect 1982 steel slant nose turbo that just needed a motor and gearbox which the shop had on hand and I was ready to buy....but then I wanted to just change the front bumper as it was just a bolt on change right?

Over $90k later....a different 3.8tt engine is still on a stand and everything on the car has been replaced.

Buy a great condition running car and do the standard, fuel mod, K27 HFS, headers, Intercooler etc and you'll have your 350 and cash to boot.

Trust me.

Best of luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Buy someone else's project. Every year someone from the 930 community sells a nice, modded car at a relative bargain.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
That's good advice, there are some great cars on these forums and people sell...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
Listen to this guy and DDDD....TRUST ME...I bought a puuuuuurfect 1982 steel slant nose turbo that just needed a motor and gearbox which the shop had on hand and I was ready to buy....but then I wanted to just change the front bumper as it was just a bolt on change right?

Over $90k later....a different 3.8tt engine is still on a stand and everything on the car has been replaced.

Buy a great condition running car and do the standard, fuel mod, K27 HFS, headers, Intercooler etc and you'll have your 350 and cash to boot.

Trust me.

Best of luck.
Dude, your opinion doesn't count here,, you're so over the top with that beast it's insane!!!! ( but we all love it!!!)
As someone who's done both,, the roller will always need something..and will nickel and dime you.. Getting to 350 hp isn't a big deal from stock.. I'd go that way if you're not going to track it..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It is ALL about what you want. NOTHING else really matters.

Do you want a nice stock car with all the bells and whistles and weight? If yes, than buy one.

I look at my car and all I can think about is the beast within. The race car that is hidden under the cloak of a street car. I really like the race car more. I would like to peel away the layers of 'street car' and remove it all basically. This would kill my resell value, so i don't do nearly half of what I would like to do. I CLEARLY should have bought a roller.

To me, a 2300 lbs 930 is better than a 2900 lb 930, even if the 2900 lb 930 is a mint and stock car.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Buy an ordinary 3.2 Carrera in average condition and bolt on a hairdryer with minimal boost. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: