Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Marietta GA
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m0n1z3d View Post
Talked to owner of the Red 930, said he was going out of town for a week. Agree'd to a test drive, and PPI when he gets back.
I used this site quite a bit when I was searching for mine, www.vast.com. I eventually found mine in the PCA classifieds.
__________________
1987 GP White 930
1977 Ford Bronco
Old 09-12-2008, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m0n1z3d View Post
Got quoted ~$20,000 to have everything that needed fixing fixed, said no to pay for the leakdown labor (4 hours they said!) after I saw blue smoke.
$20,000 to fix 6 oil leaks? Never heard so much Bull-freaking-$hit in my life...can they justify that price? Con-men and rip off artists, who is this shop MotorMeister, to say this pi$$es me off is an understatement??? I would spit on them and walk away. So for these guys to rebuild the entire engine, would mean selling my house and retirement and moving into a studio apartment?? I absolutely refuse to be taken advantage of and when I last checked, money did not grow on the trees in my backyard. BTW as a reference..I can do a leak down and compression on my 930 in about an 1hour, maybe 2 if my assistant Heineken is trying to assist in my little crappy garage with my little crappy tools. These guys are taken you to the cleaners buddy! 4hours to do a complete and thorough PPI is reasonable not just a compression and leakdown.

I bet that motor, needs to come out, put on a stand, cleaned, gone through and at worse maybe a top end rebuild, new gaskets and while you are in there find a good used K27-7200 or heck buy a new one for $1500 and for about $7K incl. the new turbo and fresh top end, you have a nice healthy engine and lots and lots of years and miles of smiles!

My experience, is that little problems can lead to issues, the non-idle issue I am sure can be easily fixed, could be as simple a broken vacuum line or an intercooler line, intercooler friction seal! The bellowing smoke from the exhaust is unusual, could be the turbo, a seal, is it the rings, possibly, but I doubt it. The bottom ends on these cars are very stout, especially if the car is stock and only running 0.8 bar of boost.

If that car could be picked up for $17K, I would be on it, like spicy mustard on an egg roll. But it helps to be a tinkerer and don't be scared to get your hands greasy and work on your car, you have great forum support and overall a good local support system.

I knew nothing about my car when I bought it, and granted I am still learning (we all are), but I enjoy the challenge and that (to me) is half the fun (the other half of the fun is seeing the boost gauge hit 1 bar on a 3rd gear pull...LOL!).

Regards & Good Luck - Yasin
__________________
Ole Skool - wouldn't have it any other way

Last edited by slow&rusty; 09-12-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered User
 
d3m0n1z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
$20,000 to fix 6 oil leaks? Never heard so much Bull-freaking-$hit in my life...can they justify that price? Con-men and rip off artists, who is this shop MotorMeister, to say this pi$$es me off is an understatement??? I would spit on them and walk away. So for these guys to rebuild the entire engine, would mean selling my house and retirement and moving into a studio apartment?? I absolutely refuse to be taken advantage of and when I last checked, money did not grow on the trees in my backyard. BTW as a reference..I can do a leak down and compression on my 930 in about an 1hour, maybe 2 if my assistant Heineken is trying to assist in my little crappy garage with my little crappy tools. These guys are taken you to the cleaners buddy! 4hours to do a complete and thorough PPI is reasonable not just a compression and leakdown.

I bet that motor, needs to come out, put on a stand, cleaned, gone through and at worse maybe a top end rebuild, new gaskets and while you are in there find a good used K27-7200 or heck buy a new one for $1500 and for about $7K incl. the new turbo and fresh top end, you have a nice healthy engine and lots and lots of years and miles of smiles!

My experience, is that little problems can lead to issues, the non-idle issue I am sure can be easily fixed, could be as simple a broken vacuum line or an intercooler line, intercooler friction seal! The bellowing smoke from the exhaust is unusual, could be the turbo, a seal, is it the rings, possibly, but I doubt it. The bottom ends on these cars are very stout, especially if the car is stock and only running 0.8 bar of boost.

If that car could be picked up for $17K, I would be on it, like spicy mustard on an egg roll. But it helps to be a tinkerer and don't be scared to get your hands greasy and work on your car, you have great forum support and overall a good local support system.

I knew nothing about my car when I bought it, and granted I am still learning (we all are), but I enjoy the challenge and that (to me) is half the fun (the other half of the fun is seeing the boost gauge hit 1 bar on a 3rd gear pull...LOL!).

Regards & Good Luck - Yasin
Yasin, Caaalmmmm down tiger!
$22,000 To get new struts, new front wheel bearings, new rear wheel bearings, new rear tires, all oil leaks fixed (ie gaskets), and to tear the engine down if it turned out to be an internal engine problem.
and possibly a new turbo, and a new updated 134a (or something?) A/C not just to rebuild an engine!
(this including labor for everything).. I'm sure it could be done cheaper, I just asked him what I might be looking at if I went through with buy :O
He by no means was trying to sheist me.. atleast I didn't get that feeling. (Told me to run away from the deal when he saw the blue smoke)
There was no visible oil in the intake side of the turbo so

And they fixed the idle problem, which is what caused (or rather, made it evident) the burning oil problem.

Seller wasn't willing to go below 22,000, and when I mentioned blue smoke he immediately came down and gave me my deposit back.

And I'd prefer a car that I wouldn't instantly have to spend several thousand dollars worth of repair on, even if I could have got it for $5,000. I'd still be without a Porsche for a few months. no deal!

Thanks for your input Yasin, sorry for the confusion!

P.S. English is not my first language, I speak it well, with no accent, but often come across the wrong way, sorry if that was the case.
__________________
Soon.. Some sort of Turbo'd Porsche!
2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, Black Opal

Last edited by d3m0n1z3d; 09-12-2008 at 08:46 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
full quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,064
Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well if you are the same as most of us were...you have waited awhile now, before deciding on picking up a 930. So hell just take a deep breath, the right car will come around. Maybe not this week or next month, but you will find one. Waiting for the right one IS worth it. Don't simply jump on the first one you see, that can lead to regrets.
Sounds like you just might have dodged a bullet on the last one!
Mark
Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,738
No worries, did not mean to come off like I had Tabasco in my blood! I just know of too many people taken advantage of and that bothers me. Still $20K to do the list of things you mentioned is waaay too much dinero. Its all good. Here to help and good luck to you in your search there are some sweeties out there.
Keep smilin'
Yasin
__________________
Ole Skool - wouldn't have it any other way
Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,331
d3m0n1z3d, I'd pass on that red one too. Some sellers are reluctant to sell for a reasonable price even when faced with facts. Some cars need so much that the repairs, if performed at a quality shop with prevailing hourly rates, can easily exceed the current value of the car. ( in other words , if a gift still not worth the repair bill). There are some good deals out there. I have bought over 30 930s over the years and have always gotten good ones ( some stock and others modded). Of course I have investigated over 500 candidates so, as others have advised, there is that great one waiting for you. Prices have not really taken off yet as most exotic buyers have not seriously looked into the real deal (930 ) yet. Ebay usually has at least one good deal in every 40 or so cars offered and PCA club members sometimes sell great ones at a good value. That is not to say all PCA members cars are great ones. Best to buy one that the upkeep has been regularly taken care of by devoted 930 owner(s) ( with good records and history ) ideally with regular use each year of 2500 miles per year or less since new. This will help insure good service and driving conditions. The ones that require extensive repair/service are best bought by those that like projects and are able( with friends ) that just need to buy parts to get it put back to being right.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-13-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSiple View Post
Bummer,

Have you seen this one? Obviously the wheels would have to go....

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/814585550.html
Just my 2 cents. $28.5k seems high for 69K miles especially when seller states "stock"as the wheels are not ( $2K+ to get originals ), less than sought after color combo, no sport seats, no mention of other desirable stuff like limited slip.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Just my 2 cents. $28.5k seems high for 69K miles especially when seller states "stock"as the wheels are not ( $2K+ to get originals ), less than sought after color combo, no sport seats, no mention of other desirable stuff like limited slip.
The color combo alone makes it not worth 28k for me.

See if your interested in some of these
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/807739602.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/810819718.html

this one is a project
http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/822170310.html

Last edited by osiris2600; 09-15-2008 at 08:03 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 729
Garage
This is a car that I have personally been pondering over for months, and I personally know the mechanic that has worked on the car for the dealer, but you might want to give a look at it since it is local.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1982-Porsche-930-Turbo-Only-47K-miles-European-Spec_W0QQitemZ110288241852QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truck sQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110288241852&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A7%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

The paint is not great. It looks good in the pics, but it is a re-spray that was done by some low rate shop. Either way.....might be worth a look.
__________________
1996 Porsche 911
2013 BMW 335xi - Wifes car
2007 4Runner - 4x4 for Colorado snow
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered User
 
d3m0n1z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21
Thanks everyone, talking to a few people at the moment, and getting a PPI done on a 2005 Lotus Elise (with a Katana supercharger) this coming week.

Guy with the red 930, that BSiple suggested hasn't returned my calls.
__________________
Soon.. Some sort of Turbo'd Porsche!
2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, Black Opal
Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
d3m0n1z3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
This is a car that I have personally been pondering over for months, and I personally know the mechanic that has worked on the car for the dealer, but you might want to give a look at it since it is local.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1982-Porsche-930-Turbo-Only-47K-miles-European-Spec_W0QQitemZ110288241852QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truck sQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110288241852&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A7%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

The paint is not great. It looks good in the pics, but it is a re-spray that was done by some low rate shop. Either way.....might be worth a look.
Does it have orange peel, or is there something else wrong with the paint?
Gonna see if I can take a look at it this week, if it doesn't sell before hand.
__________________
Soon.. Some sort of Turbo'd Porsche!
2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, Black Opal
Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 729
Garage
No, it is a metalic gray color that is not original... and some people do not like it. I personally think it is a different color and interesting....but up to you.

I think it is worth a look.
__________________
1996 Porsche 911
2013 BMW 335xi - Wifes car
2007 4Runner - 4x4 for Colorado snow
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe

Last edited by Garrison; 09-23-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:15 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2016 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.