Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Soon to be owner of 1986 930

First of all.. Hello everyone

Second of all.. I can't sleep(Seriously).. put a cash deposit on the car till I can move some investment money around.. but before I fully commit I had a few questions/concerns I was hoping this knowledgeable community could help me out with.

The car has 114k miles, has had four previous owners, and -seems- like it drives fine. This is the first Porsche of any kind I've ever driven or ridden in, but I've driven turbo cars before, so that amazing feeling is familiar to me.

On to the questions;
1. As an air cooled car, I'm assuming a somewhat rough idle for a few minutes after start-up isn't unusual (After it had warmed up it idle'd at ~900rpm from what I remember seeing on the tachometer anyway, but did so without a single blip)?

2. After having him drive the car initially, then letting me drive (I like getting a feel for how previous owners drove their car.. though I'm sure they don't drive as spirited with a passenger) to get a feel for how the gearbox and clutch would act with me driving (observational learner..), having never driven a Porsche before.
Question being this; it was almost impossible to "feel" when the transmission was in gear, not that I missed any gears.. but it was almost like.. it was just a really unresponsive feeling, and not what I expected from all the horror stories I've read about early'ish 911's (maybe this is not unusual for the 930's, forgive my if it is).

3. The car has Recaro seats.. but.. these things seemed giant, had armrests, with electronic controls on them. While they felt better than my recliner at home they seemed to take up a massive amount of room, and made the driving position seem cramped (Not to mention going into 2nd gear literally had the shiftknob resting on the right edge of the seat. Would this be a problem with stock Porsche seats (Or other.. smaller Recaro seats)? not sure if that's just the way the cabin of the car is set-up. Edit; After a few moments of looking at some pictures, the shifter resting on the seat doesn't look like it's a normal occurrence.

4. The car seemed pretty "jumpy" on the highway, not that it was a particularly nice stretch of road, but the car seemed ultra responsive to my every input, and liked to try going with the grooves in the road. Is that normal, or could it be worn bushing, old suspension, the BBS wheels, the particular tires on the car?
there was also a slight amount of shaking above 65mph (I assume that would be fixed with a tire balance??)

5. After about 20 minutes of us driving it around, we returned, and I let the car idle for about 5 minutes, while talking about the car. When we exited I smelled a bit a burning oil, but there were no drops what-so-ever on the ground, but I did notice a "wet spot" on what looked like a bracket for the exhaust, so it could be leaking, just not enough to drip.. but is that something I should consider a red flag?

WHEW! Sorry that was so long-winded, and I'm sure I'll be hearing about the search button, and how I should know these things just through intuition..

Thanks in advance! (And maybe I can get some sleep now)

Last edited by d3m0n1z3d; 09-06-2008 at 01:18 AM..
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m0n1z3d View Post
First of all.. Hello everyone

Second of all.. I can't sleep(Seriously).. put a cash deposit on the car till I can move some investment money around.. but before I fully commit I have a few questions/concerns I was hoping this knowledgeable community could help me out with.

The car has 114k miles, has had four previous owners, and -seems- like it drives fine. This is the first Porsche of any kind I've ever driven or ridden in, but I've driven turbo cars before, so that amazing feeling is familiar to me.

On to the questions;
1. As an air cooled car, I'm assuming a somewhat rough idle for a few minutes after start-up isn't unusual (After it had warmed up it idle'd at ~900rpm from what I remember seeing on the tachometer anyway, but did so without a single blip)?
What temperature was it when it was started ? Was it totally cold ? I'd not worry about this too much as you can see from other threads, it's a fixable condition if the initial start isn't silky smooth
2. After having him drive the car initially, then letting me drive (I like getting a feel for how previous owners drove their car.. though I'm sure they don't drive as spirited with a passenger) to get a feel for how the gearbox and clutch would act with me driving (observational learner..), having never driven a Porsche before.
Question being this; it was almost impossible to "feel" when the transmission was in gear, not that I missed any gears.. but it was almost like.. it was just a really unresponsive feeling, and not what I expected from all the horror stories I've read about early'ish 911's (maybe this is not unusual for the 930's, forgive my if it is).My concerns would be how fast did you try to shift it?? After 100K I'd be concerned that the synchro's might be getting tired.

3. The car has Recaro seats.. but.. these things seemed giant, had armrests, with electronic controls on them. While they felt better than my recliner at home they seemed to take up a massive amount of room, and made the driving position seem cramped (Not to mention going into 2nd gear literally had the shiftknob resting on the right edge of the seat. Would this be a problem with stock Porsche seats (Or other.. smaller Recaro seats)? not sure if that's just the way the cabin of the car is set-up.
Sooooo the PO put lazy boys where the seats used to be ??? Ditch em!!!
4. The car seemed pretty "jumpy" on the highway, not that it was a particularly nice stretch of road, but the car seemed ultra responsive to my every input, and liked to try going with the grooves in the road. Is that normal, or could it be worn bushing, old suspension, the BBS wheels, the particular tires on the car?
there was also a slight amount of shaking above 65mph (I assume that would be fixed with a tire balance??) Remember you're basically driving a 300 hp go cart!!! Sounds like tire balance to me
5. After about 20 minutes of us driving it around, we returned, and I let the car idle for about 5 minutes, while talking about the car. When we exited I smelled a bit a burning oil, but there were no drops what-so-ever on the ground, but I did notice a "wet spot" on what looked like a bracket for the exhaust, so it could be leaking, just not enough to drip.. but is that something I should consider a red flag?
You absolutely need a PPI from an independant source!!! I'm sure Grady Clay or others can recommend a good one in CO.

WHEW! Sorry that was so long-winded, and I'm sure I'll be hearing about the search button, and how I should know these things just through intuition..

Thanks in advance! (And maybe I can get some sleep now)
Welcome to the dark side!!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Car was cold I assume, had been sitting for 3 hours before it started up when I came.

Didn't try to shift fast, had one that was just a fast 2nd->3rd, but all others we're clutch in-> neutral -> gear -> clutch out (in about the time it takes to say that... unless you talk really fast)
From bad synchro's I'd imagine I'd be able to "feel" it struggling to get in, but this was completely smooth... too smooth. Or were the bad synchro's on my old Merkur XR not actually bad synchro's? (Felt like it wanted to make crunchy sounds when engaging into gear)

yeah.. will ditch the Recliners, though my Fiancee said they we're comfortable ~_~

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I can shift my 86 all day with the scenerio you just described and it's got two bad synchro's.. my PO shifted like that on my initial ride ( I didn't care FYI knew I'd re-build the tranny)..
I'd be more concerned about the leakdown with 110 plus miles on it..
T
Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Get a PPI ASAP.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The things you mention could be big or small. I would say get a PPI. You are spending a lot of money, a PPI could save you thousands.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'd echo the PPI recommendations.

That being said, I'm currently greater than a year and $10K into a law suit over an '89 930 I had PPI'd. After being deposed last week, the broker and previous owner seem pretty interested in settling before trial in October (amazing that it took them this long to figure it out). The PPI inspector seems to have still not figured it out and there are reports of his wanting to defend himself in court . A second inspection found a ton of major issues not documented in the PPI and will be used in court if needed.

So, pick your inspector carefully and be physically present when the the car is being looked at.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

PPI is a MUST.

You could be looking at a nice vehicle or a real PITA and money pit.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted, BTW our first rule = PICTURE of the car.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't personally know any mechanics around here, anyone have any recommendations in the Broomfield area of Colorado?

Also never have a PPI done on a car before, is it common etiquette for the seller to pay for it, or should I be paying for it?

pics (sorry for the poor quality.)

Last edited by d3m0n1z3d; 09-06-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you pay, the inspector is obligated to you. If the seller pays, the inspector is obligated to him/her. In my opinion, you want the inspection to be "for" you and to have an agreed upon a format, content and criteria BEFORE the car arrives for inspection. You want the fussiest guy in the world looking the car over. Surprises are generally bad for someone...do your best to avoid them.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

After looking at some google maps, and mechanic shops, it appears a Porsche Dealer would be my easiest option around that area.

Is a Porsche dealer a good PPI option? (I would assume they would know most of the ins and outs) Price isn't an issue to me, if the dealer is likely to over charge.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Usually there's no one at the dealer familiar with these older cars anymore, but it's possible. Dealers work on the more recent water cooled cars most of the time and they are completely different.

The mechanics that worked at the dealers 20+ years ago when these cars were new are usually owners of their own independent shops or semi retired now.
Thats just a generalization though so you'll have to find that out for yourself in your area.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Talk to Grady Clay, or Gogar,, there's a few other Pelicans around you that can help
Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I would doubt the service/opinion of a P-dealer for an older car.

There has to be few Pelicanees close to where you are...

Anyone close to this new member???????????????
Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Talked to a co-worker that owns a 70's Porsche, and he suggested Eurosport in Arvada.
http://eurosportauto.net/
So I will probably be taking it there, the car was from my understanding taken there when the current owner bought it. his inspection came back that the only "major" problem was a bad A/C.
Owner has only driven it 2500 miles in the 2 years he's had it. He owns an 82 Porsche 911 SC as well.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input.

I will be calling Eurosport Monday, owner agree'd to the inspection with no hesitation. (I don't imagine there will be a conflict of interest, but I will look around for more shops, just incase)

Last edited by d3m0n1z3d; 09-06-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Talk to Grady Clay, or Gogar,, there's a few other Pelicans around you that can help
Sent a message to Grady Clay.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Second picture is the car in neutral, and you can pretty well see the shifter leaning on the seat in neutral O_O
Old 09-06-2008, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Oh man, I have those same Recaro "C" seats in my 86. They are very comfortable, but extremely bulky. I have to keep my door open to retrieve my seatbelt as it will not clear the area between the seat knob and the door armrest.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Those seats were quite expensive when new. They were at the top of the Recaro line. You should be able to sell those for enough money to buy a good pair of used Porsche sport seats, and maybe have a little cash left over.

The issue with the shift lever getting close to the seat in second gear can be an issue with Porsche sport seats, too, if you are short. Porsche made some changes to the seats in the mid-eighties and altered the lever, too. You can get a lever that will shorten the lever travel a small amount and you may be able to adjust it a little towards the front. You could always removed the lever and reduce the amount of bend in a vise.

The transmission should shift smoothly without a lot of effort. A 930 gearbox usually shifts better than a 911 gearbox.

The idle shouldn't be rough when it is cold.

JR
Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I work in Broomfield, and live in Fort Collins. I am in town the next couple of days (Broomfield), and then gone until basically a week from Saturday traveling for work.

I own a 1992 911 Turbo, and owned an '86 Carrera before that.

It sounds like you are on the right path for the PPI. There are a couple of other shops around as well. Grady will be able to fill you in, if not I can forward you the list.

I'd have no problem going to look at the car with you if you would like. I can help point out some common areas of concern, but you need the PPI for sure. A couple of questions that might help before the PPI, which you should pay for by all means:

Does the previous owner have any of the service paperwork?
Is it running the stock waste gate spring?
Does the owner have the orignal 7& 9 Fuchs?

As a side note, when I had my PPI done, it had good leakdowns, compression, etc, but there were some other areas that needed to be adressed, so I negotiated with the sellar.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: