Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think I would give it a squirt and wipe down with Brake Clean.
Alan

Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Before you re- fit the fuel head - check how your O- ring seats. Fit it, remove it and check O ring. If it is slicing the O ring, you could try re chamfering the entry edge, and using a slightly smaller diameter (total OD) O -ring. To the point it can be fitted without slicing the O ring.
Any leak here is another air leak, and a bit hard to find.
Alan
Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Alan

Thanks for the quick response. What is the difference between mineral spirits and brake cleaner? They both evaporate without a residue correct? I thought brake cleaner was more corrosive so I was going to stay away from that.

Also, when you talk about the o-ring I'm guessing that you are referring to the one that sits on the side of the plunger portion on the bottom portion of the fuel dist. It also slides down into that hole... correct? Just making sure we are talking about the same one.

How could this be an issue? Isn't the new one just going to slide in the same way? Do I add any lubricant to the o-ring so it slides in good when I receive it back?

You brought up an issue I didn't even think about. Thanks!!!!

Bryan
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

I'm not sure what mineral spirits is in your terminology. But I'm quite sure Brake Clean would be fine. I use it on lots of bits.
Yes - the O ring that fits around the lower body of the fuel head and 'slides' into the box base.
If yours re installs fine, no problem.
When I pulled my fuel head out, there was a large bit of the O ring missing. I thought I was putting things right by replacing it.
I sliced several O rings trying to fit the new one in. But if I had not checked on the progress, I would not have known. The head goes back in fine. But the issue is whether it chopped the O ring doing so. You can peek between the gap as you tighten it down, and look for pinching of the O ring.
I had so many failed attempts, I altered the chamfer on the box, and changed to another O ring.
Yes - definitely lube.
I use WD 40, but another Pelican posting on this suggests vaseline.
Regards
Alan
Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Alan L

Thanks, I'm on it with brake clean. I happen to have a can lying around.

The other Pelicany (Turbobrat930) is my brother. He mentioned that they use Vaseline on some aircraft applications, but I'm sure WD40 would work just fine and I actually have some of that.

Bryan
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

If you fit the head while the box is out, you can watch the O ring insert quite easily.
Just ease it in, and you may be able to poke it gently if it starts to pinch.
Alan
Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm sure that o-ring is made of silicone, but if it wasn't, I would use a silicone spray. Vaseline is petroleum based and would degrade the o-ring over time. As would oil.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Since rebuilding my front calipers with new seals etc...I now have DOW 111 (silcone grease) in my tool box. It is used by the pros as an assemply lube for the rubber seals.

Here is clip from DOW's tech description: Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant can be used as a lubricant for rubber and plastic O-rings
Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Updates

I started a new thread due to the engine rebuild so I thought I would mention it here in case anyone was following this thread before.

Thread: Updates on engine top-end rebuild

The motor is back together. I am breaking it in with my stock turbo but will use the K27S once everything is settled into place.

In the thread above you can see at what length I went to ensure this would be a reliable car when finished. I have listed what i have done below in case you didn't click on the thread above.

1) Rebuilt cylinder heads by Competition Engineering.. Walt is a great guy, drove down to see him in person about 2 1/2 hours away.
2) Walt also honed my cylinders and I installed a new ring set.
3) Re-ground rocker arms and new shafts where needed
4) New Head studs
5) Cams reground to SC specs by Webcams (I actually was running 964 cams and didn't know it) but I do not track the car and was concerned more with off boost power... not high rpm power
6) Powdercoated Fan, Valve covers, engine mount in front, fan housing, engine tin in front, cylinder heat fins, and engine mount cross bar
7) Flywheel turned
8) glass beaded my chain tensioner cases and covers
9) Installed new master link chains and all new (6) chain ramps.
10) Fuel filter
11) All new vacuum hose
12) rebuilt fuel distributor by Exhaust Special-T's (guy is an ass, but does good work)
13) New coil and spark plug wires
14) rebuilt scavenge pump with new gaskets and seals
15) New rear main seal
16) New pilot bearing
17) new throw out bearing
18) I went through wiring harness and fixed/soldered/replaced any possible connection issues before installing it back into the car
19) New engine seal all the way around.
20) New firewall Appbiz sound/heat pad
21) Cleaned entire air box (under the fuel dist.) and re-siliconed with lithium grease where pivot arm is actuated by fuel dist.
22) Cleaned entire inside of intake manifold (since I blew a turbo seal previously... this was messy) inside and out

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Geez Bryan....that's a work of art....very nicely done. You had the turbo rebuilt right? IIRC you ended up putting in a K27S...which, I'm afraid that along with your cams and other work is going to put me in your rear view mirror. I'm looking forward to seeing that car.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

well I think this meets the definition of jumping in with both feet! Looks good Bryan - I can imagine your post startup GRIN!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thanks

Chuck,

Thanks I am sure you will see it soon.

Dan,

My grin was ear to ear with a few jumps into the air and some trips to the fridge for Fat Tires for myself and the crew...

Someone should have been videotaping me... but then I would have looked like and ass and that would be bad.

It's glad to be back!!!

Bryan

Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: