Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

LM1 Questions

Ok, I've had the LM1 for at least a year maybe two. I usually have a passenger with me telling me the numbers as boost comes on etc so I've been comfortable with that. Anyways, I decided to install the logworks program on the laptop (Vista). No problem, loaded fine. Then I tried to load it on to Windows XP. No such luck. It says the disk is blank. Double check it with Vista and all the stuff is still there.

First question: Have any of you run into anything like this? Any tips or tricks to make this thing work?

The next thing is this LM1 came with at serial port like the 'old' days. Of course a newer computer won't accept the serial port. Here's the kicker! The Vista computer took the Logworks program no problem but won't install the adapter for the serial port. The XP computer will load the adapter software but won't install the Logworks. Follow me?

Second question: What adapter do you guys use for the LM1?

Lastly, if you have any suggestions as to how to get this thing working on either the XP or Vista machine I'm all ears.......
Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Have you done an update on the software for the USB/Serial adapter ?? Usually they will have a Vista driver available
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-07-2008, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No, I didn't. I'm ok with computers but not the greatest! I figured that since it wouldn't install the software to begin with the updates would be worthless. I can look into this. From what I found on their forum site is the adapter has been a problem with others as well. I'm still trying...
Old 09-07-2008, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

also you might want to have Nathan move this to the general discussion,, there are alot more computer geeks over there ( since we are such an elite group LOL)
Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Haha that's funny as I had an idea before my name was mentioned

Bill, when you plug in the usb to serial adapter did you get asked for a driver? More importantly did it give you the oppurtunity to let Vista check the internet for the lastest driver?

If not then go in to device manager and right click on the adapter and then click update driver software. Choose the first one 'Auto' and then choose the second one 'This time only'.

If you've already done this then I suggest a visit to Innovates forum. This is one of the great things about the Innovate products, the forum.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/

I have an XD-16 kit and when I get it all running I will get the DL-32. This then stores the data on a memory card so there is no need to use the serial interface with a PC at all.

Are you using the adapter they sell?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 09-07-2008 at 11:38 PM..
Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

NathanUK - Thanks! I tried that and it still didn't work out. I did see on their forum that people had the same issue I'm having with the same adapter. I returned that one and will get one that they recommend and try it again.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
That should solve it. Lots of serial devices suggest using a certain adapter that they usually sell.

I think even the Utcis Dwur is serial?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
That should solve it. Lots of serial devices suggest using a certain adapter that they usually sell.

I think even the Utcis Dwur is serial?
Yes it is but they are going to a wireless solution!!!
I have used the Belkin USB-Serial adapter and have never had a problem interfacing to a number of devices....
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Belkin

I've had lots of problems with their products and I now avoid them with a passion. Maybe their USB to Serials are good though.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: