Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks gumba and WERK-1. The yoko's are from 1996 and look good. Temp was about 75 and tires were warmed up. Suspension is fine. Had a muffler put on the car. Does not seem to have made much of difference in dampening sound and the unit is right next to my bumper. I forsee heat/paint problems on that bumper. I guess I will take it back off. Seats and interior are refinished - need to install. Next... I have a 3rd gear problem. Quick shift grinds. I will have the trany dropped. I want this thing in top shape. New gas tank came in - I will have replaced asap. Still wrestling with the wheels. Wife trying to convince me to update look.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I'm afraid the current Yoko's on your car are beyond their useful life. They're 12 years old now and even though the tread may be pretty good, the tread compound is probably pretty hard. Four to five years is pretty much the max for tires. Heat cycling, elements in the atmosphere, elements on the road surfaces, will degrade the compounds over time.
It must be nice to have an ally in the house!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Pirelli most likely still makes new ones for 15 inch rims in wide sizes. I have a set of 345/35 ZR 15 95y on my car that were put on a few years ago and are very nice for spirited street usage. I believe the distributer was in the UK. NathanUK may know of the contact info.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Yes, the yokos are shot. Tire Rack use to list the P7 345/15 Pirelli's. You may want to check with them. I switched to Michelin TB 15's. 215/50/15 fronts & 295/40/15 rears on 8 & 11's. Check Coker tires, bias ply radial 23/62-15 is the 295 and the 29/61-15 is the 345. VERY EXPENSIVE!

I have a set of 9 & 11 x 17 3 pc. Fuchs with 255 fronts & 315 rears I'll be switching to after the Michelins wear out.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Mistake - my tires are 355/'30'/15's. In any event your guidance is spot on. Thanks W,V & G. rotationuk sent me an email - claims they have sizes I need in Yoko and Pirelli. My mechanic (EKG San Antonio) says Pirelli as well makes the size and he can get them when ever I want them. I have been working with Eddie at EKG for about 8 years. Always up to snuff. Trany coming out this week to look at that 3rd gear. I find stick shift is s bit sloppy finding its way into third. Have to hunt a bit - got to solve it. Listen guys - its reassuring to read your posts. It helps my decision making process and opens new doors. Thanks a bunch, Ed
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Just got feedback on transmission. EKG says is needs to come out to get a good understanding. Syncros, bearings etc. Says a simple syncro job could be under 2k, but a full rebuild (he does not expect) can run as high at 5K. He will call me in when its pulled and cleaned so i can take a gander. Pulled compression on engine - runs like a top. Agreed that muffler is useless. Maybe a little extra soundproofing in rear will alleviate some of my 'sound' concerns. I dont get any reverb in cab, but exhaust is a big ars pipe that comes across to right rear. Its not really that bad and does not bother at all when moving above 20/30mph. Its just when sitting at a light. I notice everybody straining their neck to see who the heck is making all that racket. I know, I know - they are all looking at the hot 930, but from my perspective - comfort has to play a roll in all of this. Right?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

The rears are not the problem, finding a big enough front to balance the rear is. What are you running on the fronts?

After you get the trans sorted out, look into a Wevo shifter & coupler. Will make a huge difference. I would also check the r&p. My car came with a 8:39, made the gearing much more usable. Just my .02.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
The rears are not the problem, finding a big enough front to balance the rear is. What are you running on the fronts?

After you get the trans sorted out, look into a Wevo shifter & coupler. Will make a huge difference. I would also check the r&p. My car came with a 8:39, made the gearing much more usable. Just my .02.
+1 on the Wevo components, I have them in my car and the difference is amazing!

On the R & P issue, I know with BMW we've marked the yoke and counted the revolutions of the axle flange to get the ratio.. or something like that... It's been awhile.

Anyone done that with these boxes to determine what ring an pinion?
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Let me first say I received various part from Pelican. Leather rear deck, knobs and various others. Class act. Pelican has not only proven to be on target when we have conversed, but as well reliable and timely with their part deliveries. I am very happy with them. Ordered the WEVO shifter and components. Thanks gumba. Refurbishing the seats is a pain in the ars. Think I will just buy new ones and put the old ones up for sale. Have a great one guys and thanks again. Ed
Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Dyno results came in. Just received email. Rear wheel TQ. 543.7 hp & 532.1 TQ @ 1.0 bar of boost. Even though I think I understand the basics this is kind of new language for me. Question: If I dyno at 1.2 bar of boost will I show higher HP/TQ or will the HP/TQ remain the same but simply remain 'on' at higher rpm's? Is my bass ackwards? Thanks
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

That's some serious power, geeez, explains why you were having traction problems!!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 10-31-2008, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Higher hp/tq. That's why the cockpit adjustable boost knobs were called "death knobs" It would be interesting to see dyno numbers with different boost settings, say .8, 1.0, & 1.2.

Man your putting out some serious h.p.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Interesting. I have a similar set up to you, I really need to dyno mine as well.

I had 1.1 bar in it when I bought it, and went down to .8.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
You will see a noticeable increase in torque, but you will shorten the engine life if run for prolonged periods. What dyno was the car run on and what are your AFR values? If I remember correctly you are running CIS, if that is the case you are now the king of the hill for the biggest hp/tq numbers on CIS.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWAG View Post
Dyno results came in. Just received email. Rear wheel TQ. 543.7 hp & 532.1 TQ @ 1.0 bar of boost. Even though I think I understand the basics this is kind of new language for me. Question: If I dyno at 1.2 bar of boost will I show higher HP/TQ or will the HP/TQ remain the same but simply remain 'on' at higher rpm's? Is my bass ackwards? Thanks
Do you have any pics of the engine? I assuming (my bad) the engine in your car was relatively stock......boy was I wrong! That's some serious HP!! I don't know why you want to up your boost to 1.2. With those torque/hp numbers, it's already a handful.

To answer your question, increasing boost will increase both your torque and hp across most of your dyno hp and torque curves....probably starting around the 3K RPM.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I also should mention I went down to the .8 bar since at 1.1 the tires were breaking loose all the time, and it was scarey.

At .8 bar, there aren't many times I can use all of the power, and I was hoping it would prolong the engine life.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

No - don't have pics of the engine, but saw it when raised. Everything is either polished or painted bright red. My mechanic was blown away. Told me that its the hottest CIS 930 he has seen in 24 years of owning a porsche shop. Said the Yoko's are fine and suspension is perfect. Suggested I keep the boost at 8 if I don't want to wrap myself around a pole. We contacted previous mechanic for 12 years. Nice sharp group of guys. Motor is most definitely bullet proof. I have a silly amount of receipts in engine work that add up to what I honestly believe more than the car is worth. At least much more than what I paid for it. Previous owners have been fanatics and it looks as if they wiped the bottom of this car often - way too clean. I guess I have allot to learn. As for power. As mentioned previously its a bit scary. I have no intent of playing around at 1.2 . I take the car seriously. At .8 when I am hitting hard and drop it into third the rear end slides out to the left about 35 degrees. Fast like- its just out their dancing. This car will not stay on a straight line when pushed. It sure has heck does not handle like my previous turbo (968). The 968 turbo will stay on track as long as the front wheels are pointed in the right direction. This 930 needs allot of feedback. This is not the 'toy' I expected. This one could be the end of me. Dallas or Houston should have a good 911 school. I will attend as soon as I find one. Thanks for the feed back guys - WHen I get it our of the shop I will take pics of engine and post. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by ECWAG; 10-31-2008 at 09:38 AM..
Old 10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
That's over 600HP at the crank!! Wow! On a CIS? Incredible.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

This is what I have verified so far - much more to come -
Motor built by Dr. 930
Head work done by Bob Holcomb
Bob Holcomb grind cams
Bob Holcomb equal length stainless steel headers
Pistons relieved for valve clearance
Case relieved for flow
Carilla connecting rods
Twin plugged heads with crank fire ignition
HKS electronic wastegate controller
Ceramic clutch
Large Front oil cooler
Innercooler and turbo
Powdercoating and chroming
8/41 ring and pinion trans axle
Custom Gerrett 30 with ceramic innards
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Werk-I. You let that Monoposto go? Darn nice machine. Hard to get one these days even when your traveling the right circle. Over 600 at the crank? I dont think so. I could find out and let you know. Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: