Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cracked Headers

How can a person tell if their headers have cracked in a place that is not visible without having to take them off the car? Are there any obvious symptoms a person would notice?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh View Post
How can a person tell if their headers have cracked in a place that is not visible without having to take them off the car? Are there any obvious symptoms a person would notice?
Yes, you will hear an exhaust leak, especially when the engine is cold. If a small crack, it will usually seal itself with expansion from heat. If your engine gets quieter as it warms up, probability you have an exhaust leak is high.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What sound would it make? Some popping?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

In many cases, it sounds like you're driving an early air-cooled beetle....
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Might also look for signs of exhaust carbon/soot.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Another option, which I used to do a lot of in my 914/4 ownership days to diagnose exhaust leaks ... take a several foot length of small diameter hose, like fuel hose, and use it sort of like a stethoscope for exhaust leaks. Put one end sort of near your ear (not too close!), and probe around the suspected leak area with the other end of the hose. When you get near a leak, you'll hear a clearly audible puff-puff sound. Works like a charm.

Scott
Old 09-23-2008, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I'm just guessing here but if you turn on your heater to defrost and aim only at the screen, if it's leaking you should get vapour on your windscreen?

Plumbers check gas flues with a mirror, any steaming up and you know it's leaking fumes...

Try it out on the tailpipe to see if my theory is correct.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

BTW, what type (brand) of "headers" are we talkin' 'bout?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I once had a leak and it made a tap-tap-tap-tapping noise.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356-930 View Post
Yes, you will hear an exhaust leak, especially when the engine is cold. If a small crack, it will usually seal itself with expansion from heat. If your engine gets quieter as it warms up, probability you have an exhaust leak is high.
Actually, my B&B's make noise when the engine is fully up to temperature. The noise a leaky header makes sounds very much like a noisy rocker, that is, if the cracks are small.
Visually, you'll see white traces where the hot exhaust is escaping. Must common areas are the slip joints, welds for the heater boxes and collectors.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Actually, my B&B's make noise when the engine is fully up to temperature. The noise a leaky header makes sounds very much like a noisy rocker, that is, if the cracks are small.
Visually, you'll see white traces where the hot exhaust is escaping. Must common areas are the slip joints, welds for the heater boxes and collectors.

Yea those B&B's with heat always seem to crack right at the spot tig welds where the affix the sheet steel that forms the heater boxes. Wish-wash headers in my opinion
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

At the shop we have a smoke machine. Pump the smoke into the tail pipe and shine a spot lamp around to find the source of the smoke. Saves getting burnt on hot exaust.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
Yea those B&B's with heat always seem to crack right at the spot tig welds where the affix the sheet steel that forms the heater boxes. Wish-wash headers in my opinion
I don't know. I haven't had any other types of manufacturer's headers on my car, but these held up over a period of 6 years. No track days, btw. I don't like any of the heater box designs by GHL, B&B. They weld the boxes across all the tubes which is a disaster waiting to happen. FabSpeed has new headers out, but they appear to be of same design as the others.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
I don't know. I haven't had any other types of manufacturer's headers on my car, but these held up over a period of 6 years. No track days, btw. I don't like any of the heater box designs by GHL, B&B. They weld the boxes across all the tubes which is a disaster waiting to happen. FabSpeed has new headers out, but they appear to be of same design as the others.
Can you explain why this causes leaks? I know the weld if improperly done could blow a hole thru the tube but would not they find this during the final inspection?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
fredmeister,
It's not that there's an apparent flaw in the welds, it's the heat cycles the headers w/heat boxes go through. The very hot header tubes are expanding at a different rate than the cooler heater boxes. The expansion and contraction routines these headers go through will weaken and then crack the weld at the box, or worse, crack at the header tube, creating a hole.
If I could get an alternative heat source (don't need a lot...not driven in winter), I would definitely use headers w/o heater boxes
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Plus 1 on what Dave says- did you see the ones that GSF has? They weld all the way around the primary to the heater-box! At least my old B&B's have a small tack-weld that may have a little give to it. As far as heat-sources go, I have been toying with the idea of an electric coil type heater, but dont want to strain the alternater. Then I have even thought of making a "heater core" that had oil pass through it, but it would take forever to get hot. If anyone has any ideas for this, please let me know.

P.S Protomotive makes a collector that goes over the stock engine mounted oil-cooler and gets hot air from there, unfortunatly I am doing away with the engine mounted oil cooler.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Kris, I recently tried to get one of the Protomotive engine mounted oil cooler boxes and got this reply from Todd (he's a good man, always replies straight away):

"We’ve found a simple plate hung off of the rear tin that draws heat from the back of the cylinder head to be just as effective and stopped manufacturing the oil cooler heaters."

I replied asking for more info and if he would fab one for me and got this back:

"No, sorry we’ve just fabbed them when we need them on the cars. I don’t have any fixturing for them, nor any older 911’s around to even fab one on. We seem to be doing only 996tt/997tt’s lately.
A simple plate, hanging down from the rear sheet tin with a tube welded on the back that you can attach the heater duct to. It’ll just draw the hot air coming off of the bottom of the cylinder head and exhaust system."

I'm going to give it a try, just can't get my head around it right now, man the car didn't do many miles this last winter, too cold in there. I've been meaning to ask Brian if he can fab something like this up. You persisting with your car Kris?
'13 Z4 35is
'13 MV F4RR
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yea Spence- I couldn't stay away from it. I ended up getting a set of nice cyls and actually spent the money on the head work and am now re-assembling her this week. I swear, these cars have to be more expensive than drugs and are more addictive. I should have her done in a few weeks- thank you for asking.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
SSI makes the only 930 heat exchanger I know of that actually produces good heat and does not have welded primary joints within the exchanger housing.
They aren't OBX/GSF price point; you get what you pay for.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: