Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Sometimes life sucks. But I still find them more consistent than women.
Regards
Alan
No truer words have been spoken...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-21-2008, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Don,
Were there any other cylinders that had bad valves/guides or was #3 the only one?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-21-2008, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

4 of 6 heads had trashed guides, both intake and exhaust. The valve stems were trashed as well but they sealed just fine on their seats - compression and leakdown tests were all good. The only explanation given was bad guide material.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
Don,
Any updates?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 12-18-2008, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Picking up the heads in FL while on vacation next week. I should have it back together around new years day. Let's see if I can top more than 5000 miles before I take it out again.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
What part of FL? I'll be in Tampa and Hernando next week...
I'll need some head work as well. Maybe you can give me a contact???
Has the studying finished?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Bill at Xtreme Cylinder Heads in Palm City FL. One more test in early Jan (CRPC) and I hope I'm done. Waiting on results from CFP exam (takes 6 weeks).
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Yoh!

Don,

My buddy just went for the week long course in November to Dallas for the study session for that test which he has also now taken. He is waiting the results. CFP, here you come. Best of luck.

Bryan
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
4 of 6 heads had trashed guides, both intake and exhaust. The valve stems were trashed as well but they sealed just fine on their seats - compression and leakdown tests were all good. The only explanation given was bad guide material.
Don, do you know which guides your previous machinist installed? Also, which stem seals did you use? Obviously these guides should be blacklisted.
I thought my exhaust guides were bad, with about 1mm clearance at 89k mi. Then at German Precision I saw some reeeeally worn guides, like you could put an extra valve or two in there!

Last edited by AFM744; 12-19-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I picked up my heads from Xtreme Cylinder Heads in Palm City FL this afternoon. Below are some pics of one of the heads, and a pic of the trashed valves (intake and exhaust).

The valves are custom stainless steel intake and inconel exhaust valves, both turned from blanks. The guides are manganese/bronze. The inconel valves cost $25 for the blanks and $25 to custom machine each. Stock exhaust valves are $48 each. The custom stainless intake valves cost $42 each (blanks plus machining) compared to $50 for stock.

The springs had to be replaced because of the new custom valves and their retainer positions. They are Elgin springs with titanium retainers. You'll see the top of the stems are a bit higher off the retainers than stock.

Here are the old intake and exhaust valves cleaned up, but clearly show severe wear. The intake valve has a ridge cut in it at the top of travel. The stems feel as if they where sanded with 50 grit sandpaper.

The engine should be back together around Jan 1.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Here's the engine on the stand. You can see that I've packed the turbo shield with new insulation. After I took this pic, I joined the tranny and motor, so tomorrow it goes in the car.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
Quote:
Originally Posted by done View Post
...so tomorrow it goes in the car.
woot!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
Alright, can't wait to see the beast again...
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Nice work, Don!

Looking forward to seeing it back in your car.

When I think I've had a bad day, I just think of the ***** you've been through, and it puts it all in perspective.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: