Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Doug,
I would ditch the least effective of the two existing coolers and then mount the front and fender coolers in parallel.
#$%&**! I've spent a ton of money on the driver's side cooler. The labor was over a 1000 bucks. Obviously I need to do what is best for the car but I'd be curious to hear your ideas on how to best run all 3 coolers. With over 600 hp, this car heats up fast.

Elephant racing sells cooler fans for 88 bucks. I was thinking that perhaps I should 1st set up a fan on each cooler and set a control switch in the cockpit.

I was told that there is a thermostat controlled gate that prevents oil from circulating through the coolers until it reaches temp. Is this true? If so, doesn't this seem absurd for an air cooled porsche?
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The thermostat mentioned is located in the rear pasenger side wheel well, forward of the torsion bar cover. It opens around 185* F to allow oil to circulate through the coolers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
#$%&**! I've spent a ton of money on the driver's side cooler. The labor was over a 1000 bucks. Obviously I need to do what is best for the car but I'd be curious to hear your ideas on how to best run all 3 coolers. With over 600 hp, this car heats up fast.
Geez, don't shoot the messenger. Honestly, if you could provide us with photos or a graphic representation, labeling each cooler, the type and its location it would be a great help to us. Could you also provide us with information on how the lines are run to the two coolers? TIA
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
if you could provide us with photos or a graphic representation, labeling each cooler, the type and its location it would be a great help to us. Could you also provide us with information on how the lines are run to the two coolers? TIA
Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the setup. My wrench did tell me that the 2 fender coolers are in series. I don't know how the lines are run. Both fender coolers are the stock type, except the driver's side has no fan. I've got an air scoop on the driver's side. It's possible, even probable that the lines running to the driver's side cooler are set where a center mount cooler should go.

After opening up your bulkhead,did you seal it with fiberglass?

I'll try to figure out how the lines are run tomorrow.

Thanks for the support,
Doug
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Bulkhead? What area are you referring to?
Also, the cooler and lines in the photos I provided were all done by Porsche.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

In 930Rocket's pics, behind the central cooler is a wall. I'm calling that the bulkhead.

Porsche sure did a nice job on yours.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I don't run a fan, mainly because it's a track car. With the 934 valance I've also ducted the right right side big opening to the fender oil cooler.

I have a fan from Jegs I was going to install. Just never got around to it because temps are good. The original stock fan was toasted when a piece of CF was sucked in and locked the fan while on. At $300+ the Jegs fan was a better alternative at $65.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Yes, the small faint line is a calibration mark for 212* F. The other numbers are *C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
Rocket- Seems that the thermostat is fine. Both lines get hot. Yet, I don't know if the fan works.
You had posted a pic of an oil temp gauge. Is the nearly invisible line between the 90* and 120* the 212*F?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Another way to make room behind the oil cooler is to box out the area behind the oil cooler in the bulkhead. A little sheetmetal, a welder and your done.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Thanks gang. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Hi , just trying to understand process of placing center mounted oil cooler. so sorry if my questions bit off.
1. when mounting center cooler , fender mounted stays in place and is operable?
2. both coolers are conected paralel?
3. fender mounted as primary? or center
4. return hose from fender mounted cooler goes into center mounted and to and oil tank?
5. Size of lines, center mounted cooler inlet/outlet opening is important?
6. If sizes are on bigest posible size, doesn't it affects oil pressure level?
7. Does the air flow dirrection affect down force on a nose if box is made to make more space behind center mounted cooler?
8. what is best way to direct air flow to not to lose grip at front .

Thanks. Just what I came up with for now.
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone

Last edited by IDGAF27; 10-15-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jbailey930 Send a message via Yahoo to jbailey930

This is 5 1/2 by 24. Been on the beast for 8 years - recent 400hp rebuild, DC area heat & humidity with about 10 track days/year.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/porsche-oilcooler/

AIR valance has held up pretty well too. Nevermind the spot on the driveway, didn't have the AN fitting tight

Last edited by jbailey930; 10-16-2008 at 06:19 AM..
Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGAF27 View Post
Hi , just trying to understand process of placing center mounted oil cooler. so sorry if my questions bit off.
1. when mounting center cooler , fender mounted stays in place and is operable?
2. both coolers are conected paralel?
3. fender mounted as primary? or center
4. return hose from fender mounted cooler goes into center mounted and to and oil tank?
5. Size of lines, center mounted cooler inlet/outlet opening is important?
6. If sizes are on bigest posible size, doesn't it affects oil pressure level?
7. Does the air flow dirrection affect down force on a nose if box is made to make more space behind center mounted cooler?
8. what is best way to direct air flow to not to lose grip at front .

Did I killed the thread? or I am completely off the line with my questions that no one bothers to pay attention to them?
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone
Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

See answers in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGAF27 View Post
1. when mounting center cooler , fender mounted stays in place and is operable? YES AND ADD A FAN TO IT FOR WHEN YOU ARE IN TRAFFIC
2. both coolers are conected paralel? I DID MINE IN SEIRES.
3. fender mounted as primary? or center. EITHER WAY BUT MY FENDER IS FIRST.
4. return hose from fender mounted cooler goes into center mounted and to and oil tank? YOU CAN GO EITHER WAY. FIRST TO THE FENDER MOUNT OR THE CENTER MOUNT.
5. Size of lines, center mounted cooler inlet/outlet opening is important? LINES SHOULD BE -12 MINIMUM AND -16 IS BETTER. THE OIL COOLER OPENINGS SHOULD BE BIG AS POSSIBLE. YOU DON'T WANT A RESTRICTON.
6. If sizes are on bigest posible size, doesn't it affects oil pressure level? YOU ARE NOT GOING ANY BIGGER THAN THE FACTORY LINES, SO IT'S NOT A PROBLEM.
7. Does the air flow dirrection affect down force on a nose if box is made to make more space behind center mounted cooler? IT WOULD BE VERY VERY MINIMAL.
8. what is best way to direct air flow to not to lose grip at front . MOUNT THE OIL COOLER AS FAR FORWARD AS POSSIBLE. YOU CAN EVEN ADD SOME SHROUDING TO GET MORE AIR TO IT.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 10-20-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: