Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

weird oil leak.

I have a big oil leak which I cannot find the source of. It is on the LHS (turbo) of the engine. I thought it was the cam seal, so I have just replaced both sides of cam seals (with engine in).
Just gone for first run. There is oil streaming out of the engine - but not from around the cam housing area. It is coming from the front LHS of the lower engine. The really wet area is the neck on the header - from where the warm air hose pushes over. This pic was taken earlier - before the problem - but this neck is now saturated in oil, and running down onto the header, and streaming over the rear LHS of the engine. Wetting everything. The inside of the header neck feels wet too. The area around the header (scavenge pump etc) is completely dry. There are no leaks on the topside of the engine.
After a short run, sitting for 5 mins, it would drop a puddle or two of about a tablespoon of oil, and the lower surface of the header box will be dripping in oil.
Where on earth can this be coming from? The exhaust is absolutely clean of any smoke. I do not believe it is internal.
Alan
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is an oil line over there that can sometimes rub against some engine tin that over time will wear a hole in the line. I would check that first off.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Just to make sure

You had mentioned the cam seal and the scavenge pump. Is the oil at all in this area in the photo below? If so, this is from the seal behind the air pump pulley that runs off the cam. It is behind the engine tin and can be seen in these photos underneath the pulley by the lower valve cover. Mine was leaking here as you can see but not at the rate per your description.

Not sure, but trying to help.

Bryan

Old 10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, it is in the area of the scavenge pump - but that immediate locality is dry.
I have seen the threads on the oil line WCC mentions, and my line is well clear.
Sleeping on it overnight, I may have the answer. When I was doing the cam seals, I had to leave the job with the LHS cam chain cover off, away for a week on business.
When I came back there was a pool of oil on the floor, where more oil had slowly drained into the engine, and out the housing. It is possible, since this sits above the headers at the rear end, a lot of oil has drained into the warm air box on the headers. It may be full of oil.
I guess I'll need to drill a hole in the bottom to find out. At least that won't be as serious as it looks now.
Alan
Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
I had a similar oil leak. It seemed as though oil was everywhere. The problem is compounded because our engines are air-cooled and the fan blows the leaking oil everywhere. Also, when driving the car, the wind-stream can carry the oil to odd places. It even moves forward because the air swirls around under the fenders.

My problem turned out to be the brass tube carrying the scavenged oil from the turbo sump to the pump. The tube was rubbing on the exhaust heat shield and wore a hole in the tubing. The funny thing was that the pump would suck a little air when the car was running, but as soon as I turned off the engine the oil would run back through the pump and out of the unseen hole in the bottom of the tube.

To solve the problem I raised the car and cleaned the area really well with solvent. Then I let the engine run for a few minutes at a time, shut it off, and went in with a flashlight to see where the oil was coming from.

In your case I would suspect the forward oil return tube at the cam tower end or the oil line that drains the crankcase (the large black steel tubing) at the forward end of the driver's side near the flywheel. It might be a loose connection.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I agree - it sprays everywhere.
My cambox/head area was dripping. I ferared the worst, altho had not touched it during the job. Then the cam chain housing plate seal was dripping, I feared I had made an error. Then the whole of the warm air box on the headers was dripping. So, it gets hard to track the source.
I did as Mark suggested, wiped it all clean, lay under the engine while running, with a torch.
Guess what. Nothing.
Took it for a drive again - I could see the oil trail on the road.
I will drill a hole in the box first. Hopefully a pool of oil will drop out. The headers 3 into 1junction lies just below the cam chain cover plate - and feeds foward into the box.
Alan
Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Alan,
Though it probably matters little in this case, what kind of oil are you running? Your oil leak could be pressure related, that is, you won't see it unless your RPM goes up and the oil pressure builds. Our engines have quite a range of oil pressure from idle to mid-throttle.

Another thought is the vacuum when you come off the gas. Usually this problem is related to overfilling the oil tank, but yours could be a clogged oil return line or oil breather line leading to/from the oil tank.

I would consider oil flow in both directions in all the external lines between the oil tank and the engine at idle, mid, and high RPM including the high vacuum caused by sudden throttle let-off.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Have you pulled the lower valve cover and checked your rocker arm shafts? They can loosen, slide over and leak.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There does not seem to be a source from the rocker box - but I know what you mean A930.
In fact mine can't move - they are sealed in with some sort of white gunk(PO). I posted a query once on this, as to what it was. No one knew. But they aren't going anywhere, and pulling the shafts out is going to be a PITA.
I have queried the oil level and hoses with a couple of local guys that used to race 930s. For the track , they ran them low - minumum oil level - for the reasons you mention, Lucittm. I have mine at minimum level.
But will look at it.
I will need to go down these tracks, if no oil belches out of my warm air box, when I drill a hole. I'm hoping to recover a few litres. Bit of a fire risk, if it is in there.
Alan
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Also, check plastic oil pressure (or is it oil temp?) switch on the rear of the engine. It's had to get to so people tend to leave them where they are. Mine was cracked and sprayed out thin stream of oil...

Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
That is the oil light switch Goran.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hi Goran,
This was one of the first places I looked. It seems OK.
Have not had time yet - but expect to strike oil when I drill into my warm air box.
Regards
Alan
Old 10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Also, check plastic oil pressure (or is it oil temp?) switch on the rear of the engine. It's had to get to so people tend to leave them where they are. Mine was cracked and sprayed out thin stream of oil...

Thank-you for the advice, mine was leaking around the connector.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
You had mentioned the cam seal and the scavenge pump. Is the oil at all in this area in the photo below? If so, this is from the seal behind the air pump pulley that runs off the cam. It is behind the engine tin and can be seen in these photos underneath the pulley by the lower valve cover. Mine was leaking here as you can see but not at the rate per your description.

Not sure, but trying to help.

Bryan

Hey I am very interested in finding out where I can order this replacement seal. Do you have a part number and a supplier where to order this from? I looked on this Pelican site and did not find it offered for my 79 930 engine. I think my seal leaks slightly as well.
thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Try this P/N:
999-113-464-40

I think our host has this seal for around $18.00.

You may also want the gasket that goes between the cam housing and the intermediate flange (the round aluminum housing that encases the larger air pump pulley). You can see the outline of the gasket on the picture above.

P/N:
930-105-197-05

Cheap at $2.00.

Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 08-23-2011 at 04:42 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
You can get those from TurboKraft as well... I'm pretty sure.

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Try this P/N:
999-113-464-40

I think our host has this seal for around $18.00.

You may also want the gasket that goes between the cam housing and the intermediate flange (the round aluminum housing that encases the larger air pump pulley). You can see the outline of the gasket on the picture above.

P/N:
930-105-197-05

Cheap at $2.00.

Mark
Excellent thanks man!
Our host lists it as a rubber seal.....thats really helpful.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: