Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I get to re-time my cams! Fun times!

ooohhhh nooo! Hopefully you have better luck than we did back when we timed mine! Just remember, don't forget the motor oil on the cam bolt! Let me know if you need someone to drink a beer, smoke a cig, and scratch their head with you...
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 11-26-2008, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
ooohhhh nooo! Hopefully you have better luck than we did back when we timed mine! Just remember, don't forget the motor oil on the cam bolt! Let me know if you need someone to drink a beer, smoke a cig, and scratch their head with you...
HAHAHAHA! That was 'effing hilarious!!! Funny thing, when I timed my cams after my rebuild a few years ago, I oiled the hardware...not sure why I didn't think of it when when I came over to help with yours, and we were getting such weird readings.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

[QUOTE=juicersr;4325753] BTW, i might be hitting u up for some cam timing expertise when i start putting my motor back together when my stuff comes back from EBS. QUOTE]

How long has your stuff been at EBS? I sent a head in weeks ago, and still haven't heard back from them. Troy was out when i arranged everything, but the guy covering him said they weren't busy yet. I am starting to get antsy.

Let me know if you need help with the cams as well. Jeff, and I made ourselves experts when we did mine. I felt bad, b/c Jeff came over on his lunch break, and it took us a good amount of time. If you have the old style bolt like mine, you have to use motor oil on it to prevent the cam from turning.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Hey juicer, let us know if you need to borrow any of the tools. Between John and myself, we've got everything.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
John, EBS just got all my stuff on the 14th, and i mean ALL - case, heads, crank, u name it. Don is supposed to get back to me with a quote after checking out everything... he has been very easy to get in touch with and communicative thus far... Going to call him today, want me to ask him about your head? BTW, thanks for the heads up on THoff...stories about them doing mediocre work on Porsche related stuff spooked me a little too much. The nail on the coffin was a report from a local Porsche shop owner that they overcharged too.

Thanks for the offer on tools guys... have bought most stuff as i plan on doing at least one or two more engines, so unless it's something esoteric, will prolly just get what i need. As it will realistically be the late winter before i can put the motor together, might have to bribe u guys with offer of unlimited beer for a weekend trip down here to 'borrow' ur cam timing expertise. The last time i timed a cam was my 1600 Fiat in high school
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Thanks for the offer on EBS, but I am going to give them a couple more days. They treated me very well last time I used them, so they deserve the extra time.

I keep on hearing horror stories about THoff from my guys here at Leith Porsche. They just aren't experienced enough to do work on Porsche parts. You made the right decision on EBS.

Let me know when your ready for timing. I will need to check in on the beach house which is only 30 min away from you. It will give me a reason to get down there.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Hope you guys had a great thanksgiving and enjoyed time with the family. At this point, looks like the weather gods are going to smile on us next weekend, as the computer models keep looking better each day for Sat and Sunday. Sunny and while not spring weather, at least moderate temps during the day in both Charlotte and the mountains. Looks to be a great driving weekend!

Those of you who are planning to do the Sunday mountain run, if you have not received my email with final route and times, please let me know by email or pm, and i will get it to you.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-30-2008, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Awesome!
FYI. I just made the reservation at the "OLD" Days Inn which is "NOW" The Downtown Inn in Ashville - hopefully is the same hotel; and BTW, they still have few rooms available.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Awesome!
FYI. I just made the reservation at the "OLD" Days Inn which is "NOW" The Downtown Inn in Ashville - hopefully is the same hotel; and BTW, they still have few rooms available.
Thanks Miguel, that is the case... their sign now says 'Downtown Inn' but are listed online as Days Inn
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Well guys, looks like everything is a go for this weekend. While cold, looks like there is going to be plenty of sunshine.

I have emailed out final details of Saturday's visit to the Drendel collection for everyone on the list, so if you didn't get it, let me know.

REMEMBER: BE AT ZUFFENHAUS NO LATER THAN 11AM SAT MORN IF U R ON THE TOUR!!!

While Gabriel's monster is having teething problems and won't be joining us, he is nevertheless planning on coming for the weekend, and will be checking on his 951 build in Asheboro later in the week.

FYI - If interested in joining up for dinner Sat nite, meet at the Days Inn Downtown Asheville (AKA Downtown Inn) lobby at 8pm. If you want to join us for some beer guzzling later, 10pm at 'Jack of the Woods' across from the Hotel.

See you guys sat and sun
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Hey Juice...just giving you a heads up that my car is still in pieces. I got called away to put out a fire, before I had a chance to button it back up. So I'm playing it by ear. If I'm able to finish it tonight, I'll more than likely just meet you guys directly in High Point.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Hope you guys are having blast time there.
Couldn't leave , got some freeky flue virus.

Enjoy your runs and post lots of pics.....
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone
Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Good times ... good times

We took it easy going up to Hickory today ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSN_6Alhis

The real driving can wait for tomorrow.

A big thank you also to Matt Drendel, Bryan Caldwell and the Eurowerks crew!

Thanks for organizing this Justin.

It was a pleasure meeting everybody.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 12-06-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
AWESOME! Whos car is that?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Was that car flat black? who's was it for sure ... man I love that ****!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

We had a blast!!!!!!!

Had the opportunity to meet a bunch of very nice people, see real Porsche history and unique cars at the Drendel's family "vault" - thank you Matt for opening your house to us.

In addition, we had beautiful weather great roads and awesome company... Justin did a FANTASTIC job arranging the entire weekend for the event, starting Sat morning at Euroworks - thank you Keith - through the museum plus zooming through outstanding roads ending at the Dragon and back to Charlotte. All safely done.

Thank you Justin!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
I sit here in 10degree CT insanely jealous - and can vividly imagine every iota of all that. Good stuff there!

Good for you guys, tx for sharing - pics, videos, stories etc. to follow hopefully 8-). Def. want more details on that black car, I musta replayed that vid a dozen times over last night.

Great job Justin, good werk. Looking forward to another opp somehow somewhere someday...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
AWESOME! Whos car is that?
Owner's name was Brad. He asked me to email him that video.

I don't know if he was a Pelican or if he was from Rennlist but someone else on the run will be able to point me in the right direction.

Was a lightly modified 930 (Euro I believe) running a rich AFR. It made me giggle like a little English schoolgirl every time I saw those flames erupt out the back. You should have seen the look on the face of Mama-minivan as he passed her.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 12-08-2008 at 08:20 AM..
Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Hey everyone, i figured i needed to go ahead and get registered over here at pelican too! i read it but i've only been posting on rennlist. THe black car in the video was mine! and thank you everyone for the kind words! i need to get a video of that at night posted up. i think everyone would really enjoy it!!
as far as the details of the car its an 84' euro car, fairly stock rebuilt motor, with some headwork, hybrid k27, bandb headers, bandb exhaust, running about 1.1 bar of boost. cage sport seats 5 points, fikses on r compounds, upgrade torsion bars, shocks and sway bars, pretty much the best you can do without going coilover or efi! but in time! haha thanks again

oh and i had such a blast on sat it really was a memorable experience, please everyone that went pm your emial if i don't have it already! thanks !!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Porsche 911 SC, SAAB SPG

This weekend was one to remember for sure. I would like to really thank Justin for putting this together. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and listen to the stories.

I finally made it back to Charlotte around 10pm. That is a total of 12 hours seat time. I don't even know how many miles we did yesterday. I think the car and I have come to a good understanding. I can only imagine how the driving will be once I get the car fully finished.

I managed to hit every goal this weekend.
1. Have as much fun as possible
2. Meet as many people as possible
3. Don't crash the car
4. Don't get any tickets

Migel, after you took off we actually picked up another mini that followed us the rest of the way. It was like you never left!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: