Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 87 930 vs. 08 vette impressions

Now first off I am not a Vette hater and my 930 is not stock but I spent a few days on and off the track and really had an eye opening experience. The Vette was an 08 model with 436 hp (special exhaust adds the 6 bonus hp) and the paddle shifting auto

On the street the Vette was a beast, great brakes, massive acceleration from a standstill and felt rock solid at 140+. I was able to play tag with my buddy in his 993 C4S 6 speed with one hand on the wheel and simply clicking up and down the gears. I am sure he was working much harder and I could obviously use the big HP advantage if I had wanted

At the track it was a different story. The track was Monticello Motorclubs South and Full course. The track was very cold at between 30 and 50 degrees F during the day and the racing surface is still not sealed. Combine those factors with the lousy runflat tires(who the F made that decision on a sports car?) and my lack of experience with the car and it was a handful. The car is just too big and "boaty" for me. Even when I had grip it seemed to plow and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't enter corners near as fast as my 930 (though my hardheadedness made me keep trying and made it worse). I also couldn't use close to all the power because any real heavy throttle out of the turn and she spun the tires or got loose. I felt like I was driving my old Caprice cruiser at times . My 930 in the rain at the track on street tires felt better and more planted!

On the street the car was really fun, but on the track my 930 was just so much better and more solid. Now I know tires and a diff. track surface would go a long way, but the vague feel would still be there. It just was so much less raw, it dulled an otherwise great experience into something less. I am sure the Z-06 is several steps up, but I don't think I could ever be happy with that much car between me and the road. I am much happierwith my hard to steer, slightly laggy, smelly, flame shooting, tractor like shifting, no AC, no anti-lock, no traction control raw brute of a 930!

On the ride home, again the Vette was great and really shined.... so I forgave her
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 10-25-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Everyone knows my opinion on Vettes- I don't car what kind of Wal-mart bargains GM comes out with..... Corvette will always be less of an enthusiast car than a 930
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I respect the Corvette line as I think GM really revamped them from the C5 model onward. They do not stir the soul, no matter how great they truly are, and it seems like everyone has one. Its like going to the Playboy Mansion, I bet after 30minutes of seeing the same thing in a dental floss bikini, the grass might start to look appealing.

I think it would be somewhat neat to pick-up a cheap C4 (what are they going for now, $3K?) and turbo charge it...LOL, just to have a fast cheap street \ track *****.

Porsche has created a revolutionary car with the 911, that people love to drive, love to own, love to look at and dream about...Corvettes just cannot compare.

Yasin
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
I agree with all said here basically. However, the Vette is not a Track car and was never meant to be. It is a Boulevard Cruiser(Poser). It was purpose built for that, and it is there where it does well. It is a lot of BANG for the buck in that dept. Porsche's were bred for the track, Vette's were not. It's like comparing a Quarter Horse or an Indian Painted Pony to a Thoroughbred. The comparison is unfair.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
This is an apples & oranges comparison.
I'm reading that the 930 is tailored to it's owners' driving style and desires and that the Corvette was bone stock. Well duh, the 930 will come out the winner every time.
Corvettes are good performing cars, of that there is no doubt. If any of us cared to tune one like we tune our turbos I'm more than sure we'd be singing the praises of "our" Corvettes.
In the end it's about our preferences.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've got a buddy who sold his 911Turbo for a Z06.
He bumped the Z06 to 500WHP and is now looking for a 930 as a "mountain car". He sais the Z06 is just too brutal in the twisties and the 911Turbo pushed everyone through the mountains. When the 'vettes were on the brakes he was still on boost.
On the straights the 'vette rips, to the tune of 6.8 sec in the 1/8 mile.
This comes from a guy who is a die-hard Corvette enthusiast from youth.
Both cars have their place and shine in different lights.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

89 930.

Garage
True DAT

Not that nobody thought it, but............................

Funny how a 20 year old car, thats right 20 YEARS, is very comparable to a "new" top of the line GM car?

Is there another car (track or not) that you can think of..........that can do the same?

Still thinking...........

Still thinking..........

Hmmmmm. I'm drawing a blank.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Okay I like this thread because I was seriously spending some time at the corvetteforum.com and researching due to the employee discounts and such.

Bottom line is I cannot justify trading out of the 930 based on what I have found from spending time at that forum.

Do you guys realize that the 2006-2007 corvettes had a fatal roof flaw which caused the roof to simply rip off the car? This happened to dozens of people at the website. Not something that the punks over at youtube talk about when they bash porsches...

Do you know that the hood does not fit correct on the ZR-1 and the gaps around the bodywork are seemingly random?

Some people at the site have a list of recalls, warranty fixes and just plain chaos with these cars. GM in my opinion has far and away the worst quality in the industry. I have a Ford which has been fine for the first 100,000 miles.

I was really surprised that corvette owners also have a serious complex about the looks of the car. They feel like nobody pays any attention to any vette because they all look generic and plasticy. They are jealous of viper styling....

Then there is the subject of weight. The Z06 is light to begin with and can get somewhat lighter, but frankly I like an empty, simple cockpit and 2480 lb car I have now.

I could go on and on, but my point is that THE MORE I LOOKED INTO VETTES SERIOUSLY THE LESS I LIKED THEM, PERIOD.

And like Rusty says they have NO SOUL.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
This is an apples & oranges comparison.
I'm reading that the 930 is tailored to it's owners' driving style and desires and that the Corvette was bone stock. Well duh, the 930 will come out the winner every time.
Corvettes are good performing cars, of that there is no doubt. If any of us cared to tune one like we tune our turbos I'm more than sure we'd be singing the praises of "our" Corvettes.
In the end it's about our preferences.
Not really a "well duh" thing. While the Vette was stock, I am comparing it to a 21 year old car with 100K on the clock and one that is based on 30 year old technology. I expected even a bone stock Vette to be more competent than it was on the track. I remember my 930 w/ bone stock suspension and street tires and it still felt at least as good as the Vette ON THE TRACK...now on the street the Vette is great, as I have already stated.

Now much of this may be my preference for a car with plenty of feedback and "rawness" but I still feel anyone would think the Vette was vague and "boaty".

For example I really thought I would be all over my buddies stock 993 C4S with only PSS9s and Yoko Advans as mods. I was at best even with his car, despite a 150 + hp advantage. Even after he broke his rear sway bar linkage, I never felt that good following him. Everytime I would try and put the power down and blow him away out of a corner the car would balk. For comparison, I easily run away from the same car with my 930....(even when I ran with 1 cylinder going down w/ bad rings) I just couldn't make good use of the power in the Vette.
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"I don't think I could ever be happy with that much car between me and the road. "

-I think that's a great observation. I've owned 3 vettes and a Viper and they were all special in their own way. In the 930 I've found the rawness the others don't quite match.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper01 View Post
"I don't think I could ever be happy with that much car between me and the road. "

-I think that's a great observation. I've owned 3 vettes and a Viper and they were all special in their own way. In the 930 I've found the rawness the others don't quite match.
yessir!

A well set up 930 is utterly connected to the road in all ways.

Steering, connected.

Brakes, connected.

handling, connected.

traction, connected.

seat of pants, connected.

sideways body roll, non existent.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Okay I like this thread because I was seriously spending some time at the corvetteforum.com and researching due to the employee discounts and such.

Bottom line is I cannot justify trading out of the 930 based on what I have found from spending time at that forum.

Do you guys realize that the 2006-2007 corvettes had a fatal roof flaw which caused the roof to simply rip off the car? This happened to dozens of people at the website. Not something that the punks over at youtube talk about when they bash porsches...

Do you know that the hood does not fit correct on the ZR-1 and the gaps around the bodywork are seemingly random?

Some people at the site have a list of recalls, warranty fixes and just plain chaos with these cars. GM in my opinion has far and away the worst quality in the industry. I have a Ford which has been fine for the first 100,000 miles.

I was really surprised that corvette owners also have a serious complex about the looks of the car. They feel like nobody pays any attention to any vette because they all look generic and plasticy. They are jealous of viper styling....

Then there is the subject of weight. The Z06 is light to begin with and can get somewhat lighter, but frankly I like an empty, simple cockpit and 2480 lb car I have now.

I could go on and on, but my point is that THE MORE I LOOKED INTO VETTES SERIOUSLY THE LESS I LIKED THEM, PERIOD.

And like Rusty says they have NO SOUL.
Interesting reading. However, what did you really expect from the UAW automatons?
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Interesting reading. However, what did you really expect from the UAW automatons?
I swear I gave them a 100% legit shot at earning my business.

Corvette owners quickly reveal how much their cars are lacking if you troll at their websites a bit...

I am at a point in my life where I don't need to go 205 mph.

156 mph is what my redline reads and that is enough.

The 930 is just fun to drive and handles great and doesn't rattle or squeak much.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:

The 930 is just fun to drive and handles great and doesn't rattle or squeak much.
Heh, If squeakin' and rattlin' were a concern, I would certainly think going OFFSHORE would be mandatory.

Americans can make the best of anything pretty much. I'm convinced of that. We don't though. One of the reasons is because how much it costs to get us do that LEVEL of work. ASTRONOMICAL.

Shame about the Vette, that was one of only two reasons why I think we should care if the American Auto Industry goes under. My two reasons:

1) I was hoping the Vette might be a decent Toy to have
2) Make the Japanese have a competitor

Other than those two reasons, I think as my Friend Rev. Jeremiah Wright would say,

"DETROIT'S CHICKENS ARE COMIN' HOOOOOME, ..... TO ROOOOST"
Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I think the American V8 is the world's most important powerplant of yesterday.

No flat six will ever beat out a V8 in the raw power department. Everything else, yes.

I am proud of the American V8 powerplant. And it is a symbol for the grand scale, big is better, mentality that frankly has made this a prosperous country.

But if the roof is going to fall off the car, I still think I will pass.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:

No flat six will ever beat out a V8 in the raw power department. Everything else, yes.

I am proud of the American V8 powerplant. And it is a symbol for the grand scale, big is better, mentality that frankly has made this a prosperous country.

Interesting take here. The BowTie V-8 and others are great engines. However, how many 5.7 L Flat N/A sixes are out there to compete on an Apples versus Apples comparison. I'd like to see that Motor comparison!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Interesting take here. The BowTie V-8 and others are great engines. However, how many 5.7 L Flat N/A sixes are out there to compete on an Apples versus Apples comparison. I'd like to see that Motor comparison!
I am not talking technology or power per litre. Not reliability either.

We all know how damn good porsche engines are in those respects.

I am talking about who makes the big fat cheap HUGE power numbers the old school way, and that will always be the V8. Even I could probably figure out how to rebuild one of them.

Kinda like comparing ACDC to Mozart, with Porsche being Mozart. We all know which musician is better, but Angus still kicks and duckwalks.

The V8 is a symbol of the 50s to me, a better time.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:

The V8 is a symbol of the 50s to me, a better time.
Don't forget the 60's, I would say up to 69, NIRVANA!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Peel away the delco exterior and most every great car made in America by any manufacturer had a big ole' V8.

That powered the American way of life.

Just wish the roof didn't come off...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Quote:

Being an old Mopar guy I like the big V8's too, but a recent study compared the Z06, Viper and GT3RS and concluded that although the Viper produced the most horsepower, the Porsche actually made the most power per cubic inch out of all three.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: