Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP I am confused about what turbo I should buy for my 87 911 3.2. I'm looking for 10 psi or .7 bar.

Last edited by 6Gunz; 11-25-2017 at 07:25 AM..
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

You wont need a lot of turbo to make 10psi, my Garret GT30 has been great. Ask Chris Carrol from Turbocraft though.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-26-2017, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

10 PSI of boost on a big turbo will make more power than a smaller one.

Don't overlook the big boys so you make the most power and have room to grow.

The 3.2 is pretty high flowing motor, don't choke it with a teeny turbo.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
I run the split second controller with BEGI for additional fuel and MSD6BTM with boost retard. I also have a very high quality MAF as a draw through. The car runs 100% perfect throughout the rpm range. You may sometimes have to make a quick adjustment on the controller every now and than but its really just one click of a switch. The hard part is initially getting it dialed. A stand alone ecu would be the best solution but thats much more pricy and you'll also need to have the car tuned which may be an additional cost.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 11-26-2017, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
There is no need to use all sorts of weird hacks to get fueling (and ignition) under control on 3.2.

VEMS PnP plugs right into factory DME connector and uses stock sensors (need to change out TPS, included in the kit) and of course it does not use AFM (instead uses built-in MAP sensor), air temp sensor (also included) is connected into the AFM plug.
Also possible to order VEMS built into DME casing which makes it "stealth".
Kit also includes Bosch LSU4 wideband lambda sensor. And it comes with a tune.

You can check it out and order here: www.facebook.com/vemsporsce

Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
There is no need to use all sorts of weird hacks to get fueling (and ignition) under control on 3.2.

VEMS PnP plugs right into factory DME connector and uses stock sensors (need to change out TPS, included in the kit) and of course it does not use AFM (instead uses built-in MAP sensor), air temp sensor (also included) is connected into the AFM plug.
Also possible to order VEMS built into DME casing which makes it "stealth".
Kit also includes Bosch LSU4 wideband lambda sensor. And it comes with a tune.

You can check it out and order here: www.facebook.com/vemsporsce

Why have there never been any comments in regards to Raceboy's system??
The strengths seem obvious -- simplicity, one-stop-shop, plug and play, git-er-done system.
This would seem especially attractive since the 3.2 turbo conversions are typically for a 300-350hp, low boost, low cost, fast turn-around project.
What are the weaknesses?
Anyone tried Raceboy's product?
Old 12-16-2017, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Turbonut

Garage
I have sold many systems, 3.2 system is 3rd most popular after 944 Turbo and 944 n/a (for which I even have German TÜV approval).

Here's video of supercharged 3.2, owned by Pelican member: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB58BwQYU2g
Here's his thread: Canems, LTD 3.2 Carrera ECU

And here's where I tested VEMS on my friends 3.2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJt-S4DorKQ

I do not know why people in pelican have not heard about it? Maybe because EFI to most over here is either MS (DIY) or Motec and nothing in between?
Or maybe people over here whink that since I am not from US it must be some catch? :P
Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
It looks like a very cool system and I was considering it a while back and still may, but at the time I was deep into troubleshooting a no-start issue where the MAF unit would constantly go out. It turned out to be a faulty SS controller, as the one I had was used and several years old. After installing a new controller the car runs very well and the problem was solved so i kind of forgot about it, however the Split second and RRFPR is old school tech and occasionally an adjustment may be needed usually during extreme weather changes. Just a few clicks on one of the knobs but a stand alone like Raceboys is probably the direction I'm going. The only other issue for me personally was the tuning piece. Theres a lot to tuning a car and its not something i want to invest the time into learning. Not sure how close the pre-tune gets?

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 12-17-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
It has good running tune and I have several presets for different injectors etc.

Worth noting is that it is VERY easy to adjust and there are just few parameters that need adjusting (main injector multiplier and enabling/disabling autotune).

Here's youtube tutorial how simple is autotune and how effective it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fyfhY_FhI
Old 12-17-2017, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I am currently converting my m491 using the Vems. I don't have a lot of time nor great interest spending hours tuning the car so an autotune option was key for me. Peep has been very helpful answering my questions and I have no doubt it will run well.
Will start a post on the adventure when it gets moving
Old 12-17-2017, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan911 View Post
I am currently converting my m491 using the Vems. I don't have a lot of time nor great interest spending hours tuning the car so an autotune option was key for me. Peep has been very helpful answering my questions and I have no doubt it will run well.
Will start a post on the adventure when it gets moving

Thank you Stephane
Old 12-17-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I've been considering going Motec, didn't realise VEMS was so developed. Is there a sequential work around as the loom only supports batch? Looks great, well done!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 12-18-2017, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
I've been considering going Motec, didn't realise VEMS was so developed. Is there a sequential work around as the loom only supports batch? Looks great, well done!
In order to run fully sequential on 3.2 you would need to add cam sync and wire injectors indepentently.
VEMS can work with factory dual crank VR sensors + cam sensor (both HALL and VR work), it has up to 5 rpm sensor inputs.

I have made several "stealth" kits also, which means that VEMS board is planted inside Bosch DME casing. Equipped with Bluetooth you do not have to connect any wires etc for tuning, just pair it with laptop. And when not tuning you can see all engine data on your Android phone, tablet etc or use tablet as a dash (all gauges, layouts etc are freely configurable). All software is free as opposed to Motec which is like a slot machine

Old 12-18-2017, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Whatever you think it will cost, double it. Maybe triple. Because when you do it, you will say "I should have done THIS", or maybe "I don't like the way that came out." How about "jeez,i need more brakes", or "this Carrera doesn't grip like it used to."
Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Am I missing something? You guys are recommending adding a turbo on a stock 10-1 compression 3.2? Running at 7-10 psi??? 3-5 psi I could see...

No one has mentioned detonation, or any other problems?

Stock 930 was 7:1 or something like that for a reason... and ran 0.7-0.8 bar...

The Miata guys are adding turbo's to stock compression running 5 psi and routinely blowing up motors...

Maybe I am way off... but I don't think its as simple as adding on a turbo...
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
.5 bar on a stock 3.2 is very common. On my car thats about 7.5 lbs of boost. Been running it for years no problem. I'm more worried about the 915 gearbox.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Am I missing something? You guys are recommending adding a turbo on a stock 10-1 compression 3.2? Running at 7-10 psi??? 3-5 psi I could see...

No one has mentioned detonation, or any other problems?

Stock 930 was 7:1 or something like that for a reason... and ran 0.7-0.8 bar...

The Miata guys are adding turbo's to stock compression running 5 psi and routinely blowing up motors...

Maybe I am way off... but I don't think its as simple as adding on a turbo...
If you keep inlet temps down, the CR is not as much a concern.

Heat is worse than dynamic CR to a point.

Case in point, think of old 6/8-71 superchargers. Those things would pump like 300 degrees into old school motors. Even with 7+CR and only 6-8lbs of boost, detonation was still a major problem on pump gas. BTDT.

Us being turbocharged and the design of the 911, lends to a nice efficient intercooler installation. I don't see over 15 degrees over ambient even at 1.4 bar.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Lol, if you keep factory DME then yes, you cannot add any significant boost. That is because you would need to retard ignition advance and with programmable ECU you can do this easily and tune it like engine wants.
People blow engines up not because engines are weak but because they usually know nothing about tuning and/or do not realise the importance of tuning.

There is a big difference whether engine fails due to high power or due to low power+detonation :P The latter is not usually happening with experienced tuners but most certainly does when people just slap some power adder on the engine and expect it to work with factory ECU that was tuned for n/a induction.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: