Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 87 911 3.2 - Adding a Turbocharger???

Good afternoon. I have a 87 Porsche 911 Turbo look Cab that I would like to add a Turbo Charger to. The car has 90k miles however the top end was rebuilt about 15k miles ago.

What all is involved and what is the Cheapest way to do this right. Approx how much for the parts and approx how many hours to install same.

I do not want anything radical as this car is my daily driver and I want it to be reliable as well. I would just like to have a boost to the present performance.

Any advise or help along these lines would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Booney1golf
87 Porsche 911 Turbo Look Cabriolet - Mid Life Enjoyment!!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Have you done a search yet, this and the 911 tech forum hold a tonne of info on turboing your car. The cheapest simplest way would be to add a Jpipe to your current exhaust, choose a turbo something like what I have the gt30, a wastegate, protomotive stage 1 chip, begi or protomotive fuel pressure regulator, connect up the intake plumping and just run .5bar. This will give you 300+ hp for a pretty small outlay. You'll also need a muffler, I don't think you can go past rarelyL8 for quality and value.

BTW: I have a few a proto stage 1 chip and a j-pipe if you need em.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your time and reply. I actually have done a search on both the 911 forum and also this forum using: adding a turbo add a turbocharger and multiple other variations and was surprised at not getting what I needed.

What would you say would be the total estimated cost (on the low end) for all of the parts and also how many hours would you estimate that a shop would charge to do the setup as you describe in your reply so I would be able to have a rough estimate.

Thanks again for your time.

Best regards,
Booney1golf
87 Porsche 911 Turbo look Cabriolet - Mid Life Enjoyment!!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I did mine myself over a weekend pretty much but I removed my heat exchangers which would ad a few hours on I spose, depending on their condition. If you know what you're doing it's so easy, I could do another in a day and change but I don't imagine many shops would have experience with it unless you go to protomotive. Maybe look up the guys doing Reapers project they're your way...

I really think you will be up for big dollars going via a shop, you wont DIY it?

I would say it will cost you the best part of 4k in parts.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You can do this yourself and we can help you.
The stock exchangers on your Carrera can be retained; you replace the stock catalytic converter with a J-pipe, add a turbo, waste gate, plumbing to intake, oil to turbo and to valve cover, Wong Turbo Chip, muffler, and fuel regulator. That's about it.
Ben with M&K used to make Turbo kits for the Carrera and has lots of the parts you will need.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

a proper search will yeild ALL the info,prices,step by step,pics,etc. lt`s all here logged in the forum archives bunky, ya just have to actually spend the time looking for it. l purused the various threads for weeks before l actually began buying conversion parts. lt can be done first class for less then $5000 EASILY if you stay away from Protomotive parts. l bet l could turbo a 3.2 911 for about $1500 now that l`ve done it a couple of times..it might not be first class but it would be boosted..
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Do people ever run low boost (.5 bar) on a regular 3.6 964 engine?

I have been kicking that idea around for a project engine.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Do people ever run low boost (.5 bar) on a regular 3.6 964 engine?
People do it all the time,your biggest and most important challange is getting the turbo spec chip to allow your engine to be boosted safely. There are ways around using a re-prom though. Since there were 964 turbos you could simply buy up used parts from owners who`ve upgraded but on stock compression .5bar will be considered high boost on that engine..
Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've been looking into doing this for a while myself. If anyone has any parts to do this set up for cheap, please let me know as well. Any website or anything to peice somehting together?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

all the info you need is right here hombre,start hitting that search button.At least 5...closer to 10 of us has gone this route and documented if not all,a whole fricken lot of the A/b/c`s of 3.2 turbo conversions ,there is no greater resource then the Pelican archives. lf you were a beautiful woman an arms reach for an item she desired,well hell,l`d go the distance and hand it on over to her. ..... But you`re asking for information many of us spent hours typing into this archive to help guys like you,future turbo converters. No offense here hombre but if you`re not willing to try to search out all the info we say exists then you better post some pretty fricken impressive pics of yourself.And calling you hombre better be a mistake
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Why do we need a chip for a low boost blow through.

Would not the adjustable fuel pressure reg give the fuel needed.

One can turn back the timing some with the fuel quality switch.

Would think with only 5-6 lbs of boost and the ignition retarded 2.79 deg using the fuel quality switch should be a go. I do not think the stock timing gets past 25 deg on full throttle anyway. Is 23 deg safe on full boost?

Would add an intercooler for insurance.

If not, how about using an MSD ignition box with the built in boost retard function.

Just wondering.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well you can re-invent the wheel and do it your way or you can follow the well worn,well proven and generally bullet proof (when done right) path and get the Protomotive or Wong custom chip, the BEGI FMU and go from there with your choice of turbo conversion build up parts. For the record, 5-6 lbs boost on an air cooled engine with 9.5-1 compression ratio is not "low boost" it`s max boost if your turbo system is not designed correctly. Sometimes the path most chosen just happens to be the best
Price out your MSD timing "RETARD" device,it cost more then the correct turbo chip does.....
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ive used the msd retard box and I have to say there is some virtue to it- they work very well. If it were me- I would do a ARC-2 mass air with the Split Second controller + the retard box and a sort of Wong chip. I don't believe in the Begi unit but thats me- If I were doing a conversion on a 3.2 I would use a 1:1 Aeromotoive or something like that with the above products. Also there is the idea of using a Super AFC. There are many options- I am not taking away from Mr. Wong or Mr. Knighton, I'm just saying to look at all angles
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason I went with a rear configuration was because of upgradability. This is not the case with a side mount, J-Pipe turbo setup.
riiiight
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-08-2008, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

That looks to be a GSF intercooler.

This kit does not seem to be priced much different than what the components would cost. A few bucks, yes, but for used equipment and it sounds like the wrong ECU chip.

It would be worth it to float that guy a 'best offer' before paying $3000, IMO.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

[QUOTE=930gt-40r;4280465]Ive used the msd retard box and I have to say there is some virtue to it- they work very well. If it were me- I would do a ARC-2 mass air with the Split Second controller + the retard box and a sort of Wong chip. I don't believe in the Begi unit but thats me- If I were doing a conversion on a 3.2 I would use a 1:1 Aeromotoive or something like that with the above products. Also there is the idea of using a Super AFC. There are many options- I am not taking away from Mr. Wong or Mr. Knighton, I'm just saying to look at all angles[/QUOTE

l think you may benefit from some serious investigation into the needs of the 3.2 N/A engine when adding boost. The products you mention(and l`ve tried all of them ove the years) are "bandaids" and although you may be able to cobble together a system for the 3.2 with the above parts l know for a fact that the Aeromotive FMU will simply not work. lf you plan to use an FMU for fueling the stock injectors you`ll need WAY more then 1;1.... Try 7;1 . The Split Second can`t add anywhere close to the fule you`ll neen not to cook your motor.You need Fuel pressure. l respect your ability to think outside the box but when you`re coming up against decades of cheap and proven methods to boost the N/A Carrera you`d better bring to the table something new....and you haven`t. A chip is $250 and a BEGI 2025 is $200. These 2 items will allow you to keep your timing in check and your fuel pressures= AFR`s exactly where they need to be.Cheap and easy and as it turns out,the very best combination required.

just my .02$ based on hundreds of hours of research and actual builds.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
riiiight

Spence, I was late to the party... Who said that about the J pipe?

TIA
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I priced up an MSD and the RETARD device for my 930, it's not cheap.

Actually, a chap offered me a plug n play ECU for my 3.2 for about $1K. When you think about it, that's not bad value for a fully programmable EMS. Just needed to fit a throttle pot from a BMW IIRC.

Just to add, I bought a 930 and left my 3.2 as is, sorry...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 11-09-2008 at 01:10 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Ha, come on in...

It says it in the ebay ad... I don't think he realizes the headers he's supplying puts the turbo in the same position as a j-pipe would.

Who would run a T2 flanged turbo?! It's really just the turbo that doesn't make sense, the rest of the kit is great and the price is good, you really only need a turbo and some hardware to get it running.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: