Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porschaholic

Garage
Easy one for the group-tach/speedo tilt

Okay.. look this is a little embracing.

I got pulled over the other day by the CHP... aside from license, registration, and proof of insurance... the kind officer asked me if I knew how fast is was driving... I replied yes 5000 rpm's; but, I was only in 1st gear (performing maintenance) as per my porsche manual (for drives under 30 minutes to open up the waste gate) I also referred to my manual which recommends 5500 rpm's... "see I was actually under the recommended rpm's..." well this did not start out on the right foot (I think he thought I was a being a smart a$$) then he asked the color of my car... I lied and said "gun metal gray"... he loved it (it's actually metor gray) anyway he ran my ID etc... and asked if I've even been to "cars and coffee in Irvine" yeap I replied, I go about every other weekend... then the guy starts wackin about his vintage 359... long story shory.. .he tells me that the momo steerling wheel typically blocks ones vision to the speedo and that I should consider tilting it about 180 degrees to the left (put 40 mph on the bottom, in his exact words...) he gave me back my paperwork and told me to pull my belt tight... wholly crap!!! I was freakin amaized...

Okay so I know I'm not the only guy in here that needs to do this, and I'm certain there's some easy ass way to do this... so come on guys help me out. That was too close... How do I turn my speedo... and please keep in mind I'm a complete tard... Thanks boyz...

1986 930 Meteor Grey
Yes it's fast... and no you can't drive it!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

From the searches I've seen on the board, you need:

-Flat blade screw driver
-Soft thin towel to prevent scratching/tearing of guage backing/bezel

Put the thin towel over the blade of the screw driver, and gently wriggle it under the bezel slowly twisting the screw driver side to side to ease the gauge out a bit.

Try on either side of the gauge until it comes out about 1/8 - 1/4"

With your hand, twist the guage gently to desired angle and push evenly on bezel to "reinstall" the gauge.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would try wiggling the gauge out using your fingers, not a screwdriver. I use the 3 & 9 position. Rock it back and fourth as you pull it out. The rubber ring has steps in it, so it will get looser as it starts to come out. Pull it out far enough to rotate it. I also do this to the oil temp/pressure gauge.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
I would try wiggling the gauge out using your fingers, not a screwdriver. I use the 3 & 9 position. Rock it back and fourth as you pull it out. The rubber ring has steps in it, so it will get looser as it starts to come out. Pull it out far enough to rotate it. I also do this to the oil temp/pressure gauge.
+1. They can be a little hard to start if they've not been disturbed in a long time, but that's the way to do it. My temp tach and speedo are all rotated so the important parts of the scale are visible through the Momo...

They look really weird at first - especially to other people, but the instant you sit behind the wheel it all makes perfect sense...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Great Story about your warning!

Here is how I took out my clock and also a pic showing the ribbed rubber ring (It's friday and having just typed that my mind wanders..... ok back to task) around the instrument. Mine had a bit of glue on this ring but the instrument is essentially a friction fit into the opening.

As I have read other recommend....you want to start with the clock as access is easier with no steering wheel in the way and then work your way across to the speedo. Once you have the clock out you can reach in to push other instruments out form behind.

Be careful that you don't slip out with whatever intrument that you choose get the clock loose or you will damage the bezel on the instrument.

Goodluck!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

There is also a steering accentric adapter which can help with proper gauge view. From the Pelican catalog:
Quote:
The JWest Engineering Steering Eccentric Adapter offsets the steering wheel 12mm upward and 16mm rearward for a better view of the gauges. It is designed for use with a MOMO steering wheel and hub. Choose from Black textured finish or plain aluminum. Mounting screws included.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_SUSstr_pg4.htm

Part number: JWST-ECC-AL
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Easy as pie if you go in through the trunk. Use an 18" piece of pipe/ or a dowel, wrap an end in duct tape (as a cushion). Push a little bit at a time on the 3 and 9 position.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfix View Post
As I have read other recommend....you want to start with the clock as access is easier with no steering wheel in the way and then work your way across to the speedo.
Another option is to go through the trunk and push out the gas or oil gauge from the back. You can get a lot more leverage by pushing on the back of the gauge than trying to pull on the bezel from the front. Once you have one of the smaller gauges out (they are easier to remove because the rubber surround is smaller) you can use that hole to remove the rest of the gauges. You will want to use a rocking motion to ease the larger gauges out. You can also use some hot soapy water to help you get them back into the dash, it can be tricky to get the rubber surround to lie flat when they are dry.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

That's gotta feel kind of strange turning the wheel after installing one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
There is also a steering accentric adapter which can help with proper gauge view. From the Pelican catalog:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_SUSstr_pg4.htm

Part number: JWST-ECC-AL
Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Thanks gents... and Dan I saw that blood blister on your index finger... was that a result of the misuse of your dental pick?

Thanks again boys... I'll send photos when I'm done.

Regards,

1986 930 Meteor Grey
Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Got the tach part way out and was able to turn it... but unable to pull it all the way out. The clock is out... and I can reach the spedo but it will not budge one bit. Also tried from the trunk nada, zip... I know it's not held in by a bracket... but its not moving... any other suggestions for loosing? Large ball pien hammer?

1986 930 Meteor Grey
Old 11-08-2008, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Keep trying!

It can be done!

I done my 3.2 carrera too.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Yep. Keep trying. I use a 1"" putty knife as a sheild against a flat tip screwdriver to pry the gauges out.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Just put her in first and rev it to 6000rpm and drop the clutch.....the g-forces from acceleration should pop them right out!
Mine are always flying out that way. Yeah, yeah thats the ticket!
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: